Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ret. Air Force
3,726 Posts
Very well done...beautiful craftsmanship. Lots of hard work...Applause!!

But I get confused when looking at this vehicle...is it an SSR or is it an El Camino!?

In a very strange and opposite type of comparison;
It's a "Jenner" kind of confusing...is it a Bruce or is it a Caitlyn???
Btw, in my comparison, the vehicle is beautiful, the other is hideous!!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Very well done...beautiful craftsmanship. Lots of hard work...Applause!!

But I get confused when looking at this vehicle...is it an SSR or is it an El Camino!?

In a very strange and opposite type of comparison;
It's a "Jenner" kind of confusing...is it a Bruce or is it a Caitlyn???
Btw, in my comparison, the vehicle is beautiful, the other is hideous!!
Identical question as yours Alex - and I say SSR with a buttload of sheetmetal wizardry!
The greenhouse is all SSR, down to the mirrors. I think the rear box is also (check the mounts for the lift) although the fuel filler throws me a bit. Maybe he figured out how to get a real spare on this one when he relocated the battery. Front could be from the original though although he kept of bunch of SSR hardware and styling.

Overall it is definitely a 1 of a kind.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,191 Posts
Definietly one of a kind can not imagine the number of man hrs and cost to complete this, was good to see how much of the original SSR he used in building this.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Well,

It appears he has somehow grafted the body parts from a '59 El Camino to an SSR cab with the top mechanism.

Pretty tricky ride.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I think this one has been posted here previously. Wherever and whenever I saw it I sent an email to the guy. I said nothing more than nice job and congratulations. He replied and he seemed very appreciative. Nice guy.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
It's been posted here before, yes. A very involved build. I was lucky enough to have seen it when the fenders were being fit up. A butt load of thought and fitting went into making the doors and quarters fit, not to mention the tailgate. Definitely a unique build. I like it for what it is.

·
Premium Member
9,418 Posts
This is a 7 minute video of Steve Barton being interviewed about the build of this El Camino. The interviewer seems a bit spinny, but the info is good.

The build was a major undertaking. The El Camino panels had to be narrowed, the body sections made taller to fit. He had the truck custom built for him, and had another SSR in his collection when Counting Cars did a feature on his toys. Danny was especially smitten by a car called the Frankenstude.

It's a great looking car overall, but I think the grille design doesn't really fit in. They should have gone to the trouble of adapting a stock 1959 grille to fit, or built one out of billet aluminum adapting the dimensions of the stock grille to fit. With apologies to Corvair enthusiasts, the grille they used makes the front end look too Corvair-ish.

He has quite a large collection, but most of them are mothballed.

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
Although the grille is not what I would like, I think the grille he made looks better than the original anodized aluminum piece than came in the '59.

·
Premium Member
9,418 Posts
Although the grille is not what I would like, I think the grille he made looks better than the original anodized aluminum piece than came in the '59.
The original quality was awful. Hit a sparrow, get a dent. But duplicating the original appearance out of billet aluminum, made to fit the narrowed space, would have made for a very nice look.

A local builder, who won the Ridler two years ago, did a 55 Chrysler wagon that made the Ridler Great 8 a few years back, and created two billet grille pieces for it. The look was awesome.

Ron Pratte bought it at BJ and sold it when he liquidated his collection.

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
The original quality was awful. Hit a sparrow, get a dent. But duplicating the original appearance out of billet aluminum, made to fit the narrowed space, would have made for a very nice look.
OK, I'll buy that. I was thinking of that original grille.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts