Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
That is the air temp senor I think, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Jack

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 9/2106 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
28,912 Posts
That is the air temp senor I think, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Jack
If it is a sensor it would be the air temp for the DIC and Aux temp gauge. If it is a connector it is where the sensor would plug in. My sensor is black and a rectangle, but my trucks are '06

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
sensor

Just went out and looked at my '05. Same color grey. It is plugged into a blue plug with the green lock you can see in your picture. The blue plug is taped over in your picture.

·
Premium Member
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jackatg450, does yours just lay there in the same position as mine? And what does it sensor?

·
Premium Member
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are looking at outside temp sensor on 05/06

03/04 do not have outside temp sensor.

03/04 owners just put the window down and stick their head out for temp.

Dicktator
Thanks, if you look at the picture you will see ears on the plug indicating it fits on a socket somewhere close. I see no hole any where or did GM just tape it to a harness. And being that close to radiator you won't get a accurate reading. It's really no big deal, but "Inquiring Minds Want to Know".

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,378 Posts
I believe that GM also used this same sensor on some cars as the intake air temperature sensor and it was "snapped" into the air cleaner box. So they just incorporated it into the wiring harness an located it out front where it would be least effected by the heat under the hood.

It is a thermistor - resistance varies based on temperature and the resistance will vary no matter where it is placed

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 9/2106 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
28,912 Posts
Thanks, if you look at the picture you will see ears on the plug indicating it fits on a socket somewhere close. I see no hole any where or did GM just tape it to a harness. And being that close to radiator you won't get a accurate reading. It's really no big deal, but "Inquiring Minds Want to Know".
I believe that GM also used this same sensor on some cars as the intake air temperature sensor and it was "snapped" into the air cleaner box. So they just incorporated it into the wiring harness an located it out front where it would be least effected by the heat under the hood.

It is a thermistor - resistance varies based on temperature and the resistance will vary no matter where it is placed
I think SWT RYD was commenting that the position so close to the radiator will cause it to be warmer than the air temperature in free space and therefore it will be inaccurate.
Personally I do not think it is a very accurate read anyway. Maybe +/- 10 degrees?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,644 Posts
Outside temp gauges are pretty iffy anyway. Mine is so hard to read and only goes from 20 to 100 in 20 degree incriments. So in the summer it is 80 or 100 even thouigh it may be 120 outside. Very hard to read with any accuracy. Thinking about getting Digital someday.

·
Premium Member
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

thanks that makes sense just to put it out there then people wonder where it goes I'm not going to use it anyway but I just wonder why was just laying there and not plugged in in it thanks appreciate it]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts