Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

RED SLED
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit skeptical of the ad I saw for an SSR on ebay that stated the car has 640hp.

It it possible?

Attachments

Registered
Bca8ball claims well over 600 hp from his daily driver which I wouldn't doubt at all. I think that was crank hp not wheel, I didn't read the ebay listing.

Registered
It does have a super charger but I think that is only good for about 100 horse power addition. I think to get to 600 it would take some head work, camshaft, injectors and some pulley change to get more boost out of the blower.

Registered
Very well could be. Others have squeezed power like that out of a 6.0. If you're interested, contact the seller and have prove the claim with a dyno report.

With that much juice, pretty pics, a service history and only 12K miles, the asking price is a reasonable place to start negotiations.

SSR Enthusiast
I'm a bit skeptical of the ad I saw for an SSR on ebay that stated the car has 640hp.

It it possible?
Bca8ball claims well over 600 hp from his daily driver which I wouldn't doubt at all. I think that was crank hp not wheel, I didn't read the ebay listing.
It's the same play on words Chevy used when advertising our SSRs at 390hp for the automatics and 400hp for the 6 speeds. It actually isn't as much of a play on words as it is that they are on an engine dyno and they are talking about the LS2 engine vs the actual vehicle.

Their HP rating are at the Crank (CHP) vs Rear Wheel (RWHP)

The automatic at 390 CHP = 325 RWHP
The 6 speeds are 400 CHP = 342 RWHP

In reverse if a dyno measures your RWHP at 522 you add the same percentages to equate it to CHP.

522 RWHP = 619hp at the crank

My 522 RWHP is at only 8lbs of boost, there is actually more available with different size supercharger pulleys for more boost and a more aggressive tune.
I'm cammed (with upgraded rocker arms, springs, and push rods), headers with 3" dual exhaust to the rear.
However, mine is a daily driver, I enjoy tinkering and tuning but I'm not racing it so I see no reason to attempt to squeeze more out of it.

Here is a good reference:
https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php

Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Typical HP increase is about 35% with the Magnuson super chargers at 鈥渢ypical鈥 boost settings of 8-9 pounds on the 5.3 and 7 pounds on the 6.0. There is a LOT of variability introduced with exhaust configuration, additional engine equipment, boost (pulley size) settings and computer tune settings. This means that you should expect at least 100hp increase on the 5.3 and 130hp on a 6.0.

As a second point of reference for Bca8ball鈥檚 numbers....... My SSR dyno results at 1200 ft elevation on a 92 degree day were 495 hp at the wheels. Converting to 鈥渟tandard day / sea level鈥 of 59 degrees and 0 altitude pushes the numbers well over the 500hp mark. My configuration is stock LS2 with balanced 2 1/2鈥 true dual exhaust and Magnuson TVS2300 running approximately 7 pounds boost. The Left Coast 32 (Joe Delano) tune is what really makes the difference in my case.

Mike

BAD BOW TIE
When my guy did the Super Dyno Tune on mine the rear wheel readings were 362 horsepower and 369 torque. The tuner said the way you figure crank is multiply times 1.20 and compare to factory specs.
Chevrolet factory specs was---390 horsepower with 405 torque at the crank.
mine now is-----------------452.5 horsepower with 461.25 torque at the crank

It is a very noticeable difference off the line. Works for me.

HobbyBob
I am over 600 pounds of torque at the rear wheels. That makes it about 735 hp at the flywheel. The engine is an LS3, with a Magnusson Heartbeat 2.3 supercharger running 8 lbs of boost. With a max boost of 16 lbs, and figuring 20 hp per pound of boost minimum, I could be looking at 900 hp on the street. Not bad for a "daily driver".:jester

Registered
What amazes me is that modern muscle cars can pick up from a simple computer tune. Old cars you were inside the engine changing camshafts or changing intakes and carbs to make the kind of power the new stuff makes.

RED SLED
Discussion Starter #13
I am over 600 pounds of torque at the rear wheels. That makes it about 735 hp at the flywheel. The engine is an LS3, with a Magnusson Heartbeat 2.3 supercharger running 8 lbs of boost. With a max boost of 16 lbs, and figuring 20 hp per pound of boost minimum, I could be looking at 900 hp on the street. Not bad for a "daily driver".:jester
Sweet Jesus!! That's just SICK! LOL!!! But in a good way LO!!!!!

HobbyBob
It is not really that bad. Remember, this is a six speed, so you have to watch the tach and listen to the engine while shifting gears, as well as steering. Get to a good performance driving school, like BONDURANT, and learn to enjoy the power. And also, just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time!:jester

Daily Driver
And also, just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time!:jester
Right, especially if it's a daily driver where unleashing it can have serious consequences.
Like money in the bank, even if you don't need it it's nice to know it's there. :cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
16 Participants
S2NAZ
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing