Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn’t find any old discussions about replacing the two belts on an 04 with the 327 engine. My AC belt just broke and I want to replace both belts. I see the tensioner on the AC one but I don’t see one on the other belt. Is there one and is it hard to replace the main belt? Is it just simpler to take it to a mechanic rather than do it myself? Thanks, Steve

Slingshot yellow 04 with 120k miles. Daily driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Actually they tell me that the small A.C. BELT is the hard one to put on. It seems you have to start with the new belt behind the motor pulley and get it on the compressor & then move the tension-er and bring the belt from the back of the pulley?????????? [OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT]..........MY 2002 Chevy Avalanche has [near] the same motor and is set up the same way.......But it has the older [metal] fan blades attached to the water pump.......with a large plastic fan shroud [in] the way. The shroud is made in two pieces and [we] either stapled them together or bolted them together at the Gm factory that I worked in. My old Avalanche has all of 70,000 miles on it but because of the years Both belts should be replaced........To think when on the motor line we had 30 seconds each to install the two belts? BUT to be honest the motor was at eye level when the [these & that's] small parts had to be added to the motor / as /shipped from the motor plant. The starter was installed on this [motor line]. That installer had a seat with wheels on it. The wires and positive battery cable was put on the starter first. The starter was also on a small wheeled moving table..........REMEMBER......A starter is kinda heavy. After all of the wires & + cable were all tight it was time to hang the starter. One bolt started by hand and then a shim or shim pack between the block and the starter. Then the same for the 2nd bolt. Then air gun tightened for a finish. The starter to the ring gear [noise or no noise] was observed when the motor was first started at the end of the assembly line. If problems in engagement were found [that] car was taken to repair and the shims in the packs were counted. The repairman then changed the shim packs to get an except-able fit for clearance...........that information was
sent to the motor line & the shim packs were changed to the new specifications. These changes were usually made as a different batch of motors or starter were brought to the line.......4 different [brand named cars] with 24 different kinds of motors being built at 60 cars an hour.

Birdmans

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,638 Posts
Just did both of mine.

A/C belt the most difficult.

Lower A/C belt, used Ratchet on tensioner to hold belt loose, push belt on A/C pulley toward engine until it drops off, NOW you can take off large pulley.

Dicktator

1. Put in NEW lower Tensioner.
2. Small ratchet, two bolts.
3. My belt had some cracking, glad I changed it.
4. Upper belt Tensioner
5. Upper belt.

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
OK, for the A/C belt you tensioned it with a shopping cart wheel. :lol
How does the main belt tensioner loosen up to replace the belt, or doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Tensioner.

Use a socket and rachet handle to rotate the tensioner against the spring to loosen the belt. Put the socket on the head of the bolt in the center of the pulley. I don't remember the socket size and mine has a chrome cover on it so you will just have to try different sizes.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Just did both of mine.

A/C belt the most difficult.

Lower A/C belt, used Ratchet on tensioner to hold belt loose, push belt on A/C pulley toward engine until it drops off, NOW you can take off large pulley.

Dicktator

1. Put in NEW lower Tensioner.
2. Small ratchet, two bolts.
3. My belt had some cracking, glad I changed it.
4. Upper belt Tensioner
5. Upper belt.
:|

I have a similar problem. the smaller A/C belt shows some cracks. So, I just purchased a new one to replace it. The larger belt is just fine, shows no wear.

I see no need for a new tensioner, can I just take the spring tension out of the tensioner so as to remove the old belt and then just replace it with new.......or do I have to jerk around with the larger belt to get to it. Haven't really looked that close yet to tell.:wink2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
You must remove main belt to get to a/c belt. Not hard use ratchet to hold tensioner back and remove belt.
I don't mean to step on Dicktaders toes, but when you move the tensioner back the a/c belt is still fairly tight. You must move the belt toward the engine and off the tensioner first, then the compressor. Goes back on in reverse order.

Removing the air intak box is also a must.
Took Dick and I about 2 hours for belts oil change and bull spit time.

Jim

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Just had the serpentine belt, ac belt, coolant, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses and all heater hoses replaced last week. Also noticed a slight noise in engine. Discovered it was the bearing in the upper idler pulley at 72K. Check it.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,778 Posts
When I did my belts I went ahead and replaced the tensioners and pulleys. They weren't that expensive and I gained a little piece of mind out of the deal.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts