Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my name is Randy and I am new to this forum. I recently bought a customized SSR from my father that lives in Atlanta. I just received the SSR in Houston a few days ago and since I have had it in the shop rechroming the wheels and getting detailed. The SSR has air ride suspension so it does adjust the stance up or down about 6 inches. I noticed that when I get to around 65 mph the steering shakes very bad. I have read on other forums that this could be due to the GY RSA's or the tires not being true round. I have also heard a few other issues it could possibly be. I live in Houston and would appreciate any input or if anyone knows of a good wheel person or mechanic that I can visit to rectify the shaking. The SSR only has 11k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,499 Posts
randyman, hang on help will arrive-----meanwhile, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you have found the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Just curious---was your Dad a member here??

I don't know about the Air ride, but if you know the tires are balanced, it came with a PLASTIC radiator support that also ties the frame rails together!!! www.simple-engineering.com, Mike in Az on this forum, sell a steel replacement that takes some Steering wheel shake out. Others will offer more help!!

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and that was some great info from nj6969. If you know for sure that your wheels are balanced correctly then it could be a Rotor that is Warped. I am concerned also with that air ride. I do not know anything about it but I wonder when you adjust the height because it affects the front tires that that just may be your problem. Just my 2 cents because I am not a fan of air ride suspension.... I'm sure smarter people will chime in and offer their advice also.... WELCOME......

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,422 Posts
All good info being given above Randy. Wheel balance should be checked. -- :smile2:

One other thing you definitely want to give attention to is the tires themselves. You say there are only 11k miles on the truck. Regardless of that low mileage if the tires are original they are at least 12 years old. They need to be replaced for safety sake.

You are in the midst of lots of SSR owners here in Houston. We get together a lot and would definitely like to welcome you & your new ride into our group.

Good luck with the "shakes" and we will be in touch. -- :smile2:

=============
David :black:

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,002 Posts
All good info being given above Randy. Wheel balance should be checked. -- :smile2:

One other thing you definitely want to give attention to is the tires themselves. You say there are only 11k miles on the truck. Regardless of that low mileage if the tires are original they are at least 12 years old. They need to be replaced for safety sake.

You are in the midst of lots of SSR owners here in Houston. We get together a lot and would definitely like to welcome you & your new ride into our group.

Good luck with the "shakes" and we will be in touch. --

=============
David

YESSSS!!! What David said! Tires are probably hard as rocks ... mine were when I bought my 2005 in Miami and then drove it up I-95 to Jacksonville. Front end felt like it was going to shake apart at 65 mph. A new set of tires was magically delicious! My money sez yer tars have gone all stiff-like. - Good Luck to you, fix it and enjoy it!
Cheers, Carl

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
My guess is flat spotting
I have moved a TR6 several times - every time rattled my fillings for a few miles but eventually straightened out

When I bought my current SSR the TR6 tire experience taught me a bit.
Kudos to the dealer I purchased my SSR from, only 5k at the time but they were going to replace the tires - they did not like how it rode.
I asked them to send it the way it was but put the new tires on the side.
A few miles later she rode fine - eventually sold the new tires before they dated too much and at about 30k miles replaced the ones that were going to be turfed at 5k

·
Premium Member
36,883 Posts
Welcome from Canada! :cheers

As for your shakes I also would first check the tires. You are around a good crowd there in Houston they will help you get it fixed.

enjoy the permagrin!

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,548 Posts
Welcome from Cincinnati! Agree with others, probably flat spots from sitting with that few of miles. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Take the above advice ASAP ... NEW Tires and a Front End Alignment pronto, then go from there.

Now :00000732: to the SSRfanatice web site ... Help is on the way "randyman28"

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,890 Posts
One other piece of advice, carefully remove your wheel caps prior to going to the tire shop. As you may have read, the cover(s) have been broken by service tech. while attempting to get to the lug nuts. Expensive.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
One other piece of advice, carefully remove your wheel caps prior to going to the tire shop. As you may have read, the cover(s) have been broken by service tech. while attempting to get to the lug nuts. Expensive.

Dave
:frown2:
I'm just shaking my head as to just why I should even have to pose this question, but is the safe "drill" for pulling off the caps a straight out pull with one of those paint can tools......???

I'm guessing the service tech approach was just to pry in the slot with a screwdriver and that is not the way to do it.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,044 Posts
:frown2:
I'm just shaking my head as to just why I should even have to pose this question, but is the safe "drill" for pulling off the caps a straight out pull with one of those paint can tools......???

I'm guessing the service tech approach was just to pry in the slot with a screwdriver and that is not the way to do it.:surprise:
As we know, the plastic is brittle. If you pry on the slot until the cap unseats, you risk breaking a tab.

IF I were to do it, I wouldn’t actually drill it. I’d fear, drill bit wander, perfectly round hole and chipping the chrome. I’d use a lexan body reamer. They are used to cut body mount holes in lexan R/C car bodies. They pierce and cut perfectly round holes. Good ones are made of quality tool steel and are very sharp.

My question would be, if you put a hole in the cap, would they use it, or just grab a pry tool like they are used to doing with many other caps?

I would not do it.

I suspect you’d stand over them anyway to make sure they use it.

It is far easier to pop them off at home.. Besides, you are then setup to clean and shine on them along with the wheel (to get the old wheel weight residue off) when you get back home. .. Just did it this week.:smile2:

- Robert
:silver:

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,890 Posts
I use a small screwdriver in the slot, put my finger behind screwdriver to carefully pry out on the cap just enough to get a popsicle stick behind it and then slowly work my around the edge. I use the popsicle stick to pry out on the cap not getting too much of an angle on the cap. Envision yourself defusing a bomb as you remove the cap. lol

Dave

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
* Have the tires worn correctly to date? If they became out of balance somewhere along the line prior then there's probably some "cupping" or uneven wear on at least one of the front tires. You won't be able to balance a cupped or uneven wear tire very well and will likely still have vibration.

* After checking tires I'd then be looking at the front rims. Any signs of damage? A damaged rim would need to be replaced as you can't balance correctly and will still have vibration. Was the vehicle vibrating when you purchased it or just after having wheels rechromed?

* Could be flat spotting but you will usually have vibration at most any speed not just higher speeds. I store our SSR for up to 6 months and never have an issue with flat spotting.

* Alignment doesn't usually cause vibration but more pulling left or right. Certainly get an alignment if you go with new rubber.

Of course new tires solves a lot but not if the problem is in the rims. Good tire shop should be able to solve your issue.......process of elimination.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
Is there any toe in or out with the suspension change in ride height? It shouldn't cause a vibration but wondering if it cause tire issues that then cause the vibration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts