Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed the ABS heat shield from S-E and while I was under the truck I was going to replace the shift cable bushing. The issue is the plastic doesn't look degraded at all and it will take some effort to remove it from the cable end. Is it worth doing now?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Hard to tell. Some trucks fail sooner than others, some not at all after over 100k. If I were you I would put a small vise grip pliers in the glove box for insurance. That way, if it ever does fail, you can at least get home if needed by clamping the cable end back into the shift lever and leaving the vise grip connected.

I think some of the problem with them popping off is the routing, I know some trucks feel like there is a lot of side pressure outward on the cable end, others seem more in line.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
I've installed the ABS heat shield from S-E and while I was under the truck I was going to replace the shift cable bushing. The issue is the plastic doesn't look degraded at all and it will take some effort to remove it from the cable end. Is it worth doing now?

Thanks,

Pat
I have a 6 speed so don't know the complexity of doing this mod. However, it seems like it would be easier to do in your home environment with a cold truck and tools than it would to have the repair kit in the glove box and need to do it away from home crawling under a hot truck with no tools.:smile2::smile2:

Reactions: 240 Gordy

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I tend to subscribe to the 'pay me now' or 'pay me later' philosophy. In other words, preventative maintenance is OK.

The metal replacement bushing and bolt are unlikely to fail, over time, when subjected to heat and use. The GM plastic part will eventually fail.

I installed the ABS shield and also replaced the perfectly intact plastic bushing at the same time on our R. The truck had only 12,000 miles when I upgraded the lower shift linkage bushing to the metal unit. And yes, the old plastic bushing appeared 'perfect' even though 13 years old.

A $20 purchase and 20 minutes of time seemed like a good idea to me ... and a lot easy than risking a future failure.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,783 Posts
You do not have to do it now, you can wait until you are on the road, at a Mall or out to Dinner to change it. Hope you don't have good clothes on and you can slide under your R.

Let's see, $20.00 bucks now and install on lift or $300 bucks for tow and Dealer Cable and labor?

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=9

Or I have in stock.

Look at SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

1. This is what holds cable on from GM, 3 or 4 inches from 1800 degree catalytic converter.
2. Neoprene bushing.
3. Stainless with stainless locking nut. $20 bucks including mailing, mine has been on 10 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Pat Leblanc, Replace it with Dictator's kit NOW! I was lucky, mine failed on a Wal Mart parking lot and I was able to fix it there, lucky! When I think of the times it could have failed I count my lucky stars (in the snow, out of town, 75 miles from everything). Mine had about 115k ?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Thanks,

Pat
Like others have said you can pay me now or pay me more later choice is up to you. The plastic is going to fail down the road no one knows when or where if they did I would be buying lottery tickets from them. You guys might want to check and or replace the same type of plastic connector on the upper part of the cable by the shifter as per Dicktator they are starting to fail also. Being more of a preventive maintenance type guy I had mine checked and replaced before moving glad I did mechanic said the part crumpled in his hands when he was replacing it. Truck is an 04 and had 34,000 miles at the time.

·
My First Permagrin !
568 Posts

Thanks,

Pat
The least you should do is replace the stock bushing ASAP . And then upgrade to dictators bolt fix when you can.
I didn't have an option when I purchased my truck the bushing failed the day after I got the truck .
I was at home in my driveway so no big deal , well worth doing it before it fails . Good luck , Dave

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Mine failed one morning after backing out of my garage on my way to work...backed out, put it in park, grabbed my lunch bag and mug to put in bucket on passenger floor- get back in and NO SHIFT....

I was lucky...think about when it could have failed-
in the parking lot at work
rest stop somewhere between home and travel destination- at 3AM
after dinner in a pouring rainstorm
mountain overlook on the Blue Ridge near Maggie Valley
and the list goes on....

If you can change it do it- I kept putting it off even though I had one in the center console...

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Looked great BUT

Mine looked great at 24,000 miles BUT completely fell out of the cable in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby. :crying: MAN don't hesitate to replace this bushing one more day. You have the part it's a quick repair with step by step instructions in the "How to Library" You don't want this to happen with the wife in the car. :frown2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts