Chevy SSR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Dicktator,
Is there some advantage to using the tygon/PVC tubing as the wear bushing in the shift fix? Cushioning, noise, damping, etc.? Wouldn't you get a more positive feel if the bushing was made to tighter tolerances and made from a harder but lubricious plastic such as Delrin or equivalent?
Bobo

·
Registered
134 Posts
I made up six shift cable repair kits today, Stainless w/locknut.

Pictures:

1. Assembled and unassembled. 1/4x20 SS bolt 1" long, SS internal tooth washer, "T" 1/4x20 nut, nylon hose over sleeve, flat SS washer, SS locknut.

2. Assembled.
Can I buy a trans repair kit? I am not sure that I can open a reply on this forum so can you email me at "[email protected]" with the info-paypal #, etc.?

thanks

John

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have some kits made. Changed mine today.

How about $5.00 plus $2.00 for mailing.

ALL Automatics probably should have one, kinda like the ignition switch.

Dicktator

Pictures:
1. Cam and neoprene clip
2. Removed clip, disintegrated, dried up.
3. Grind off revet head on cam.
4. Spray paint bare metal
5. Attach to arm and slide thru hole in cable.
Can I order one?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,374 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Unfortunately I have to raise the price of the Shift Cable Repair Kit.
I didn't want to do it.

You can also get my Kit from Mike in AZ.

Shift Cable Kit is $8.00 + $2.00 for mailing = $10.00

Send check/cash or PayPal to: (PM me for my PayPal account)

Dicktator
PO Box 14655
Clearwater, Fl 33766-4655

ALL Automatics probably should be changed for preventive maintenance.

Don't break down on the road and have to be towed in, save "Hundred $$$" and put a kit on today. You will glad you did. Comes with all instructions and you can DIY.
Dicktator

Pictures:
1. OEM cable connection.
2. Neoprene/pin that holds your shift cable on. Dries out from Catalytic Converter and falls apart.
3. My Stainless Steel Kit.
4. Shift Cable Kit installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Got my shift cable fixed last nite - finally.

Amazingly - at 57k miles - the neoprene was still intact, stretchy, and a pain to get out.

I kept remembering the bold red letters - don't twist or pull. BUT I REALLY REALLY WANTED TO TWIST AND PULL.

Thank you Dictator.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Dick, I installed your kit, but I have one small question. I noticed that the filler for the shift cable hole is a plastic part. Will that have any effect if it goes the way of the neoprene insert?

Would a metal insert work better?

Thank you very much for the "fix" it went together easily and works wonderfully!

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Dick, I installed your kit, but I have one small question. I noticed that the filler for the shift cable hole is a plastic part. Will that have any effect if it goes the way of the neoprene insert?

Would a metal insert work better?

Thank you very much for the "fix" it went together easily and works wonderfully!
I looked at what GM had used, neoprene and decided on clear fuel line hose. Strong, perfect fit and "plastic to plastic", if you will. They, GM, didn't use metal to plastic, so I didn't either.

IF it wears out and I am not sure it will, it will not FALL OFF like the GM unit does.

May get sloppy and you will feel that on your shift lever. By the way, the upper Shift Cable is the same GM pin/neoprene holding it on the shift lever.

I have put 50K on since my change and all is good.

When it has seen 100K and still in tack, then we will know for sure.

I have over 300 out there now.

Dicktator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally had a breakin the weather and my schedule. Although it too me a bit longer than 30 minutes, my shifter be a shiften agin. :) Thanks to all that lead the way and for doumenting their fixes (and findings) for this "never shoudda happened" failure.

Thanks Zeke

Celebrating Year 1 on the NEW Mayan calendar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
hell, it happened

Hi Fanatics, Hi Dicktator

Dicktator, i should have heard to your advice to replace the Automatic shift cable.
Today it broke:banghead:mad:puke::cry
i thought i could wait until the tech day on April 13th, but someone didnt like me, so today it broke on a Lowes parking lot in heavy rain.
As i pudhed the gear lever to Park i felt it was a little bit too soft, and i shouted: SHI......... at this time i was shure what happened.
a friend brought me my jack and the stands from my garage, and i taped this thing together. so it worked until home.
as i have Dicktators repair kit laying arounf for months, i can now install it.

As a very urgent suggestion to all with an automatic SSR:

DO THIS REPAIR NOW!!!!!!!

believe me !!!!!!!!

Dicktator, please remove this point from the list for the tech day 13th of april and set the ignition switch for that (i have it already)
Ralph

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I will put you down for Ignition Switch.

Sorry you waited so long to do the shift kit but you are not alone.

Others have waited until it failed and not like SSR Father at a Tech Day but in a parking lot, Motel or gas station.

Dicktator

1. OEM with rubber grommet.
2. Shift Kit with S/S bolt/washers/locking nut.

Attachments

·
Harefield SSR
133 Posts
Hi Dick
Just fitted your repair kit.
Instructions and parts perfect, no future problems on this issue with my SSR
Another great Dictator repair
A big thank you

Mark

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Thanks Mark,

Just sent out an emergency Shift Kit to Fort Worth, Texas.

Cable fell off while Ken was backing into garage.

IF you haven't changed yours, sooner or later you will!!

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Thanks Dictator,, I too should have heeded your Advise.. I thought that since my Wife's SSR only had 20k miles on it, that it would surely be fine.. NOPE.. I'm just glad it happened close to home and I had your kit handy to get it going again. Again thanks for your support of our trucks!!!

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
It is not mileage on the truck that matters.

Trucks that make "short" runs, "sitting" at traffic light, or shopping will go even sooner than those driven on open road.

Why? Because sitting at traffic light or in traffic puts the total 1800 degree heat from the catalytic converter onto the "neoprene" bushing, causing it to dry out and crumbly.

AND FALL OFF!!!

Flying down the road allows cool air to rush by the catalytic converter and shift cable, keeping them cool.

Dicktator

1. GM OEM Cable attachment.
2. Pin and dried Neoprene bushing.
3. Pin/bushing removed from transmission shift arm
4. Repair Kit, S/S bolt, washers and locknut
5. Repaired Shift Cable.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The Dicktator fixed my car's shift cable yesterday . I am admittedly not tech savvy, but the difference in performance is noticeable immediately . Thank goodness for tech smart help so I can avoid problems and enjoy the ride!
When we removed your neoprene bushing, it fell apart!

It was just a matter of time before you would have been in a Mall with shifter cable off.

Top down, of course!

Dicktator

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Thanks, I recently inspected mine after I purchased one from you. The OEM still look in good shape. Is this occurring after a certain number of miles? I'm at 40,000 but again the bushing still looks to be intact.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I originally got your kit thru Mike when I ordered a wind diffuser from him. I finally got around to replacing the shift cable bolt today. It all seemed in good shape as the plastic insert was a bear to remove. I don't recoo'd this repair to the rookies if you just have ramps. I had a hard time fitting under the truck with ramps on drivers side so had to use jacks after jacking it up some more for clearance.
Removing old bolt from bracket was difficult also as didn't want to punch out after grinding rivit head. I ended up drilling head until it came loose with hammering on it. Being on floor is difficult also as you certainly need two hands in there and it's tight!....:)
But I got it......took two hours....so good to go now with no worries. Thanks for coming up with this fix. I see where that is certainly a weak link.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts