Chevy SSR Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've recently bought an 05 R and had the problem with the shift cable linkage this weekend, and came upon this thread and this site. It looks like the shift cable repair kit is what I need.

Is that kit still available and if so how much?

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I've recently bought an 05 R and had the problem with the shift cable linkage this weekend, and came upon this thread and this site. It looks like the shift cable repair kit is what I need.

Is that kit still available and if so how much?
Yes it is!

Just installed about 5 this weekend at Tech Day.

Need your Name/Address

My PayPal: [email protected]

$15.00 includes mailing.

My Email: [email protected]

My Cell 727-460-6038

Next you may need Door Handle Repair Kit.

Dicktator

Pictures
1. OEM Cable with Neoprene bushing, FALLS OFF!
2. Dicktator Shift Cable Kit, Stainless with lock nut.

Attachments

·
SSRoquemore
120 Posts
Stressed out :)
So since I have been full time RV'ing, been having too much fun to worry about my R. Other than watching and waxing her every other day or so.
I had the dreaded auto shift cable dilemma: (

So before actually doing the right thing and search the forum, I went O'Rielly's (first mistake)
Got a $8 package of misc crap, none of were the correct piece. Finally went to a real store (Napa) and ordered the $12 piece. Drove over to a near by Shop and the put it on a lift and installed the cheap plastic for free and said, why don't you just bring it back next week and for $75 We can fix it the right way. (Drill out and install #10 but and dual locking nuts)

Well I woke up and decided to check to see who already came of with fix and low and behold Mr. Dicktor has the solution.

Oh BTW, burnt my left while doing my temporary "Gorilla Tape" fix.

At 53 I am still learning.

Ordered the real fix today - Thanks folks !!

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Shop said "Drill out and install #10 bolt and dual locking nuts".

This will NOT work! Well, not work right.

Using locking Nut on both sides, the Lock Nut closes to tranny will STOP you from shifting into LOW gear.

Been there, done that!

That is why there is "button" stainless bolt on Repair Kit and mounted toward tranny.

Dicktator

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,453 Posts
I need a kit, how do I get one PAYPAL?
You can send a PM to Dictator and he will happily ship one to you. You can PayPal him....

Dick also provides the repair kits to me and I sell them in my web store. You can order one there and use PayPal or a credit card. Here's the link: Transmission Shift Lever Repair Kit

Either way, Dick is the person who builds the part.....

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
A couple of days ago I got my goodie bag from Mike and yesterday I had the shifter cable fixed, the heat shield installed and the new radiator brace installed. So i figure I am good to go for a while. I will get a new radiator fan in the Fall when I am back in Southern CA. I must have paid over 30 % duty and taxes on my stuff. The UPS guy said the duties to Canada were crazy.
John F.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
A couple of days ago I got my goodie bag from Mike and yesterday I had the shifter cable fixed, the heat shield installed and the new radiator brace installed. So i figure I am good to go for a while. I will get a new radiator fan in the Fall when I am back in Southern CA. I must have paid over 30 % duty and taxes on my stuff. The UPS guy said the duties to Canada were crazy.
John F.
John,

I NEVER use UPS for shipments into Canada. If I am shipping large parts, I have them shipped to my broker's US address, and have him do the import. If parts are fairly small, I have them shipped US Postal, and let the postal system deal with import charges.

There should be no duty on US manufactured products, and in Alberta, 5% tax. If you check the invoice, I think you'll find the rest to be UPS service charges for brokerage

I imported $150 US in parts ($204 Canadian) last night through US postal. Canada Post charged 9.95, paid 10.20 GST. In BC, also have the priviledge of paying PST.

·
Registered
192 Posts
DrRock, Do you haul your SSR around in a trailer as you are a full time RVer ? I spend a lot of time travelling in my coach and I am thinking of getting an open car hauler so I can go to some of these gatherings. Maybe next year.
John F.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dicktator, my shift cable broke in the driveway, the transmission end. I used my own parts to repair. I used a 1/4-20 allen bolt, an aluminum spacer, two washers, and a nylon locknut. After reassembly, the shifter know will not go all the way into park. I think the car thinks it is in park, because it will start. Is it possible that I need to adjust the length of the shift cable with that spring contraption on the end? If so, how would I need to proceed with that?
Thanks,

Brent Crumbley

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Dicktator, my shift cable broke in the driveway, the transmission end. I used my own parts to repair. I used a 1/4-20 allen bolt, an aluminum spacer, two washers, and a nylon locknut. After reassembly, the shifter know will not go all the way into park. I think the car thinks it is in park, because it will start. Is it possible that I need to adjust the length of the shift cable with that spring contraption on the end? If so, how would I need to proceed with that?
Thanks,

Brent Crumbley
Yes, cable linkage is out of adjustment, probably you moved cable to shift arm, a NO NO, Cable must stay in position while installing Shift Cable Repair Kit.

And make sure shift arm has ORANGE DOT OUT!

On my SSR How to Library, FREE!

Also Shift Cable Adjustment.

Here is link: Under Technical Discussions, SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Dick, on my way down near Nov to Ocala, do you have a garage as I think replace with Stainless Steel shift kit would be wise & shield cat converter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My shift lever is full forward in Park position but my SSR is in Drive....the lever wont let me move it....so how do I repair it when the shifter thinks it's in park but the car thinks it's in drive?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Last weekend I put my truck in reverse to back up to a gas pump and the engine died. The top was down and I couldn't remember how or if it could be raised up manually or not. Finally got it to a shop about midnight with a sheet of plastic over it. They started work on it about noon Monday and was finished by 4pm. Shifter cable was 76.00 and labor charge was 173.00.

·
BlueStreak
26,875 Posts
My shift lever is full forward in Park position but my SSR is in Drive....the lever wont let me move it....so how do I repair it when the shifter thinks it's in park but the car thinks it's in drive?
Last weekend I put my truck in reverse to back up to a gas pump and the engine died. The top was down and I couldn't remember how or if it could be raised up manually or not. Finally got it to a shop about midnight with a sheet of plastic over it. They started work on it about noon Monday and was finished by 4pm. Shifter cable was 76.00 and labor charge was 173.00.
Please read the thread before asking questions as you are likely not the first to ask and the answer is probably already there unless you are the first to post. In this case the answer is in post #133 and this link

·
Premium Member
50,206 Posts
I found the correct Bushing W/an integral "C" Clip. This after much research. The Chevy Silverado PU uses the same Bushing for the Shift Cable. I was thinking of making one like this with a "C" Clip, out of SS. But this one is a perfect fit. It takes less than a minute to install, if you don't have to Jack your SSR up. Some of us have to use the Jack. We don't fit. LOL DO NOT purchase the Dorman Bushing that they recommend for the SSR. That Number is 14057 It does not fit the SSR. So look for this Dorman Kit. Normally found in any Auto Parts HELP File Rack. Part number 14073. I found mine at O'Reillys Auto Parts. It's a Perfect Fit and dang quick to install. Suggestion. If your Bushing hasn't failed as of yet. Purchase the Dorman 14073. Keep it in your Truck. I installed mine by hand. No Tools needed. But some of you may have soft Hands. So you may need a small pair of Channel Locks. This is the Stock Repair. Dictator has a great alternative. Use either one.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts