Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 3 light bulbs that control the lighting on the shift base and are easily repaired by you at home or you can send me the parts and I will repair them for you for the cost of parts and shipping. I placed a discussion thread here about the items I am offering this repair service for:
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/free-repair-abs-speedometer-etc-61360/

View the shifter with the lights on so you can get a feel for how many bulbs are out and which location it is, viewing the below will assist in determining which one or ones are faulty. Bulbs required are 4mm sized "wheat" style with an approximate output of 100Ma. The blue covering on the bulbs tend to melt to the original bulb so getting replacements of those might be a good idea too.

1. Remove the shifter handle, then simply pull up on the shifter base to loosen it from the retaining clips and remove the electrical connector. Here is a photo of the bottom of the shift base:

2. You can also see the 3 white colored 1/4 turn plastic fasteners that hold the lamps. Take a flat tip screwdriver, insert into the slot on the white plastic bulb holder and turn 1/4 to release, turn the shifter upside down and tap it a little to get the bulb out. Just so you can see how it works, I opened up the covers to show the plastic pathways that direct the light from one bulb to multiple areas but you DO NOT have to take this apart to get to the bulbs, shown for education only.

3. The bulbs in this area are "wheat" style 4.7 MM 100 Ma and have a blue color corrective cover to make the light more white. The blue cover can be removed and reused but some are burnt onto the bulb from the heat so you might want to get replacements beforehand. It gets very hot, even the white plastic shows brown heat wear. The legs of the new lights simply go through two small holes on the bottom of the white base and solder on. Just unsolder the old ones and resolder the new ones in and trim off the excess leads.

4. I bought my parts from EBay but you can buy these bulbs and covers from many other vendors that sell lighting products.

5. Install is reverse of removal. Only thing to watch out for is when you reinstall the shift place, make sure the black plastic slider for the shifter is positioned properly forward and aft so that it slides properly and does not get bound up or breaks.

6. Enjoy!!!

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could LED's be used ? Less heat.
Yes, that should not be a big problem. The only issue would be to find one that has a decent output and side emitting light so that the lens would pick up the light properly and distribute it to the proper switches. LED technology has come a long way in the last 10 years since these were designed/built.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What a fantastic source of information, can't figure how many hundreds of dollars I've saved. When I drive into the dealership the dollar signs start rotating like a slot machine. Happy Forth of July to EVERYONE and please remember, freedom is not free....... Jim

·
Registered
316 Posts
The correct size for the LED Shift Console Bulb replacement is 5mm from superbrightleds
noted above. The link incorrectly checks off 4mm. I bought 4mm and 5mm just in case.
The 5mm are the ones that fit. My thanks to Dragon2U for such an excellent guide.

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
What the hell, the link to SuperBrightLeds NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED, shows 18 choices, 17 are discontinued?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What the hell, the link to SuperBrightLeds NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED, shows 18 choices, 17 are discontinued?
Bruce, if you were clicking my link it is over 4 years old, use RG's instead.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Thanks everyone. I got the 5 mm LEDs mentioned above and installed them. They look great and take just a few minutes to install. Just remember, when you put them in, if they don't light up, take them out and turn them around and reinstall and everything will work!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
LED Brightness

I put in the new LED's in the shift counsel but I would prefer the rockers be lit up a little more. I was thinking of using aluminum foil taped over the plastic tracks that allow the light to travel from the LED to the switch. Of course I would have to insure there is no contact with the printed board. I'd appreciate any comment whether that would brighten the light or not. Or maybe there is a better way? The pic if from Dragon2U

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts