Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into improving my tranny shift pattern and I have mixed emotions about doing a shift kit install or to have the computer chip tweaked. I have seen some pros anc cons posted. My local speed shop has done more shift kits, to vets, than they have installed chip kits with good results and happy customers. Any additional advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
flynSS/R said:
I am looking into improving my tranny shift pattern and I have mixed emotions about doing a shift kit install or to have the computer chip tweaked. I have seen some pros anc cons posted. My local speed shop has done more shift kits, to vets, than they have installed chip kits with good results and happy customers. Any additional advise would be appreciated.
Do you mean the firmness of the shifts or pattern like a manual reverse body, I have a shift kit if you want to call it that in my SSR and don't know any cons about it, Drive slow you can hardly tell any diff., Get on the gas it will break the tires lose and put you in the seat. With the computer, You don't really have the chip tweaked like my 87 Grand National, You hook a turner or better a laptop to the computer and you can set everything on the truck. No cons with that if you know what you are doing

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most shift timing and overlap can be easily adjusted br reprogramming (Flasher or "chip") a modified vehicle can gain even more by recalibrating the torque management function. Torque management reduces engine power slightly at the shift points and major mods can aggravate this feature into inducing a long, slow feeling shift (not crisp).

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Double L, Thanks for your reply. The shift pattern I am experiancing at this time is best described as a float shift. I would like to have a more positive shift, that when I do get on it, the shift is firm, not the floating feel that I have now. Like I mentioned, the local speed shop is more in favor of the shift kit from Transgo (?) than to do a chip reset.

From what I have seen price wise, is both kits are about the same price, I am just wanting to get the best bang for the dollar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts