Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

SSR Pit Crew
Discussion Starter #1
For those that already have Shift Cable Repair Kits, they are OK, but I have discovered that I needed to make some improvement in both design and instructions. You can take off Kit and reverse the install. See Pictures.

This was posted by Shiftz33

I had my daughter run through the gear selections while I was watching underneath. Everything cleared except when in the 1st gear position. The nylon locking nut is right on the edge of the transmission pan. I rotated the nut so one of the flat sides of the nut were up against the pan in that position. That worked just fine. I can successfully select Park through 1st!

Also xoxoxoBruce posted a picture with acorn nut hitting lip of Transmission Pan.

So, I have changed the bolt to a "Button Cap Screw", 66% smaller and install the Transmission Shift Arm LAST. I have also shortened the "T" nut for a better fit on cable.

Picture
1. TOP-OEM cam and neoprene/rubber retainer BOTTOM-Repair Kit
2. Layout of install, NOTE: Shift Bar installs LAST.
3. Push Button Cap Screw thru Cable, put on S/S flat washer, now Cable is secure between to flat surfaces and will never fall off, slide bolt thru hole in Transmission Bar.
4. Tighten acorn "selflocking" nut onto Shift Bar, just snug, then loosen one full turn.
5. Instructions that I now mail with Kit.

If anyone wants a NEW better Shift Kit, PM me.

Kit is still only $5.00 plus $2.00 for mailing

Dicktator

Attachments

Proud Original Owner
Dick, I'll get a new one from you when I'm in Madeira Beach next February 2012.
Hopefully, I won't need to install my old style one before then.

SSR Pit Crew
Discussion Starter #3
Dick, I'll get a new one from you when I'm in Madeira Beach next February 2012.
Hopefully, I won't need to install my old style one before then.
I wouldn't want to try and change it side of the road. At least check it out to see what condition it is in.

Dicktator

Florida SSR Fanatic
Dick, Save me a shift cable kit for my :ssr
(put one in your :silver: and I'll get it at our next meeting) OK
Mike:right:

304255605_tp.jpg

SSR Pit Crew
Discussion Starter #8
Okay Mike, Glad to do that for you.

Here are some more pictures of UNDER the SSR.

Dicktator

Picture:
1. Shift Cable, notice how close to catalytic converter.
2. See Shift Arm Bolt above cable, that is what holds the Shift Arm on.
3. OEM Cable assembly.
4. Cam and neoprene retainer in Cable. This is all that holds the Cable on.
5. Neoprene removed from cable.

Attachments

Registered
For those that already have Shift Cable Repair Kits, they are OK, but I have discovered that I needed to make some improvement in both design and instructions. You can take off Kit and reverse the install. See Pictures.

I had my daughter run through the gear selections while I was watching underneath. Everything cleared except when in the 1st gear position. The nylon locking nut is right on the edge of the transmission pan. I rotated the nut so one of the flat sides of the nut were up against the pan in that position. That worked just fine. I can successfully select Park through 1st!

Also xoxoxoBruce posted a picture with acorn nut hitting lip of Transmission Pan.

So, I have changed the bolt to a "Button Cap Screw", 66% smaller and install the Transmission Shift Arm LAST. I have also shortened the "T" nut for a better fit on cable.

Picture
3. Push Button Cap Screw thru Cable, put on S/S flat washer, now Cable is secure between to flat surfaces and will never fall off, slide bolt thru hole in Transmission Bar.
4. Tighten acorn "selflocking" nut onto Shift Bar, just snug, then loosen one full turn.

Dicktator

Picture

Dicktator
To where do I PM you. Thx JS

BlueStreak
Click on his avatar and the open a conversation (at the bottom of the box in red ) Conversation is the New PM!

BlueStreak
To where do I PM you. Thx JS
Click on his avatar and the open a conversation (at the bottom of the box in red ) Conversation is the New PM!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts