Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The fun starts now!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one upgraded ther shifter? Looking for installation info for a ratchet shifter. I’m wanting to upgrade but want to keep the stock look as best as possible. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. JimmyD05

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,174 Posts
If it is automatic the trans gurus on this site have said not to rake the gears up and down as the transmission was not built for that. Might check with them before you do it so you don't tear something up. Just a thought. If you use low gear to start out the traction control automatically disengages. What they do recommend is install a Corvette Servo. Makes shifts very firm and this transmission likes that. Cost is around $200 installed. Done with trans in the vehicle and takes about an hour. Good luck.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,151 Posts
For the automatic I can't see any real gain in changing the shifter. First off it is hard to find a shifter for the overdrive transmissions. Second it would be even harder to find something that would fit into and look as good as the factory one. Third the overdrive transmissions are best put in drive and let the computer shift for you. The new electronic over drives are so much better than the old 3 speeds I don't see an advantage to change the shifter. I would upgrade the cable ends and call it good.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,174 Posts
For the automatic I can't see any real gain in changing the shifter. First off it is hard to find a shifter for the overdrive transmissions. Second it would be even harder to find something that would fit into and look as good as the factory one. Third the overdrive transmissions are best put in drive and let the computer shift for you. The new electronic over drives are so much better than the old 3 speeds I don't see an advantage to change the shifter. I would upgrade the cable ends and call it good.
I changed my shifter stem and had an old school ball made for it. I like that but still is in the stock position. Dragon 2u made the shifter stalk or stem.

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,174 Posts
That is cool, what did you do with the lock out feature or do you push down on the ball to activate the lock out?
Yes he makes the stem to replace the stock stem and ball with the push button you push down to shift. Then you just step on the brake pedal and push down on the entire ball and shaft to change gears from park. Works very nice and with threaded adapters you can put just about any ball or shifter handle on it. Some guys have put the hurst type grip shifter on it. I wanted the old school ball like they had on the first chevy 4 speeds back in the day in the 60's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts