Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek I noticed that I have a bit of a shimmy when I hit a bump. There is a bit of a wobble or shimmy occasionally when I hit a bump. Anyone else have that feeling in their steering wheel when they hit a bump?

Also, found out how much the tires cost....good news. This message was from tirerack.com

We have them $157 for the fronts and_ $197 for the rears.

If you have any other questions or if you want to place an order you can call me directly. If you order online just reference my name at the end of the order and I'll make sure everything you picked is correct and that it gets out quickly.

_
Best Regards,
_
Bruce Burnett
Tire Rack Sales
800 428 8355 x289 toll free
574 287 2345 x289
574 236 7707 fax
email: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
_

Sent:__ Monday, December 08, 2003 10:05 AM
To:____ Bruce Burnett
Subject:_______ QUESTION FOR SALES FROM <file://WWW.TIRERACK.COM>WWW.TIRERACK.COM____ 12/08/03-10:04:50

:jester :cheers :angel

W

·
0 Posts
shimmy

cruzned

got the exact same in mine - have from day one - just on the back roads when I hit small potholes etc.
Glad you asked the question - just doesn't feel right does it!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad I am not alone on this. Perhaps it is normal for this truck, but it really does not feel right. I suppose I will live with it until I reach 3K on the Odom. and then have the dealer check it out at that time. I thought it was perhaps my fault when I removed the lug nuts and put on the locking ones, but they are on tight, just checked em. I had a shimmy like that on my PT Cruiser and it turned out to be a broken lug nut.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Bumps

Ed,

I'm hitting bumps and potholes everyday here in NJ :cuss

I haven't noticed a shimmy.

I think that the traction control works very well. Had some more snow here and I took the truck out on the streets for a spin. Unlike my Z28, which kicks the gas pedal back at you like you're in a fight when the traction control kicks in, the SSR seemed to just prevent me from pushing the pedal down more. The truck hardly slid at all and went straight no problems. I was actually surprised on how hard I had to stomp on the gas to get the wheels to start spinning. I guess that 4700 lbs is good for something. Gas mileage is going as expected. I got just over 19 on the highway and I'm averaging 17.3 overall.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The "shimmy" you are feeling is "normal" for almost all convertables. Small price you pay for a slightly less stiff structure. The SSR is better than my Prowlers, Camaro SS and a little worse than a Vette. The only convertables that I have driven that have no noticable shimmy/cowl shake are my wife's '03 SL500, my '03 SRT10 Viper and a Honda s2000.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:agree Thanks for clearing that up Steve. Having never owned a convertible I never would have known. Appreciated:D

·
Registered
705 Posts
what's a shimmy?:confused

D

·
0 Posts
I wonder if the the x-brace in the front was built of chrome moly if that might not help?

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts