Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this needed its own thread so it would be easy to find with the search function.

I just got done doing the Short Shifter and Boot Conditioner. Thanks to all the other members (pushrods4ever) that did it first, it works great. I did 1" this time and may do another 1/2" later. It would be real easy to machine a new shifter handle that attaches to the shifter base, maybe at a later date.

This can be done easily as follows:

1) I removed the allen screw for the shifter handle
2) I removed the bezel from around the shifter w/shifter boot
3) Unplug Switch wiring
4) Conditioned shifter boot both inside and out with SEM Leather Conditioner
5) Removed two foam pads from the base of the shifter
6) Removed the (2) 13mm head bolts from the base of shifter handle
7) Removed shifter handle completely
8) (Notice I did not remove the console)
9) Used masking tape to mark 1" down from top of shaft
10)Marked the notch and flat groove on masking tape
11)Cut notch into shifter 1" down from original
12)Cut flat groove down 1" from marks
13)Cut shifter handle off by 1"
14)Touched up shifter with black rattle can paint.
15)Reinstalled shifter onto base with (2) 13mm bolts
16)Reinstalled (2) foam pads over base of shifter
17)Reinstalled shifter bezel and boot
18)Plugged in switch wiring
19)Snap bezel down on console
20)Slide shifter handle back onto shifter arm
21)Reinstall allen retaining screw for shifter handle

·
Registered
189 Posts
Question?

When you say "cut", what did you use to do that? Was it a sawzaw, file, or grinder? I am interested in making this mod to my 05 but of course do not want to damage a thing! Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a small cutting wheel on a rotary tool. All you have to do is copy all the marks 1" lower on the shaft from stock then cut 1" off. You could easily do it with a hack saw too.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up - After driving the SSR with the short shifter for over a week now, I love the shorter throw. I will be looking into an aftermarket shifter base that will work for us, maybe the GTO shifter. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good News

This certainly appears to be good news. I will modify mine after I return from Texas post holidays. Thanks for providing us an update.

2005SSR6Speed said:
Follow up - After driving the SSR with the short shifter for over a week now, I love the shorter throw. I will be looking into an aftermarket shifter base that will work for us, maybe the GTO shifter. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Short throw shifter - with no cutting!

Hi all

Saw the thread so thought I would mention another approach. The stock shifter ball is quite tall because of the neck at it's base. I wanted to change it out for an 8 ball shift knob.

I took the nylon sleeve out of the stock shift knob by removing the grub screw fully and pulling firmly. The shift knob I was fitting was a standard after market one. I had to clean out a small metal ridge inside it using a 5/8" drill. This allowed the stock SSR inner sleeve to be a push fit in the new ball.

I bound two turns of black PVC electrical tape around the inner part of the shifter boot retainer. This was just to hide the white color. Installed shift knob in place and tightened the three grub screws to locate the knob onto te sleeve and compress it onto the shifter handle.

The new knob sits 1" lower than the stock knob, effectively giving me a shorter shifter. Not bad for around 15 minutes work!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2005 Slingshot yellow 6 speed SSR and wondered if you knew any more about upgrading the shifter for a sharper and shorter pattern? I live in Zephyrhills and own a small car lot and repair shop and am interested in quality upgrades for my car.

Thanks

Steve Rogers at [email protected]

·
SSR Club Scribe
29,305 Posts
Just bought a 2005 Slingshot yellow 6 speed SSR and wondered if you knew any more about upgrading the shifter for a sharper and shorter pattern? I live in Zephyrhills and own a small car lot and repair shop and am interested in quality upgrades for my car.

Thanks

Steve Rogers at [email protected]
S***t, we move FROM Zephyrhills and you move IN. We had a lot in Emerald Point. We were not ready for those old bastards and their attitudes. We like the younger generation who smile and enjoy life. The rest of the city needed renovation but you have the necessary government in place to get it done. Keep an eye on those dump truck drivers. They think they own the road.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately I dont know of any aftermarket shifters that will work in the SSR 6 Speed as of yet. The short shifter mods helps alot with the feel and throw of the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
I just finished doing mine. The bezel removal is scary but as it releases you realize everything is fine and I don't think anyone should worry about it. I have attached a picture showing the clip locations. Start at the back and as it raises slide to just behind the power window controls to lift as this is approximate clip location.

Joe had indicated he considered taking it from 1" to 1.5". I decided to split at 1.25". Still winter roads for a couple months but just like my new cross member, it works like a damn in the garage!:lol
IMG_0780.JPG Shows clips

IMG_0778.JPG Modified shifter

IMG_0784.JPG Voila!

By the way the set screw in the back of the shifter knob is not an allen screw as indicated in the original instructions but a Torx screw. You don't want to be stripping that. I found it easiest to see with a mirror and flashlight if required.

·
Premium Member
19,809 Posts
cash great modification to your shifter but the second picture looks like you got some problems my friend :glol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts