Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Lockhart Texas Car show. There were no SSRs.
The SSR is rare.
Should I show it?
What category?
Mine is completely stock, should I dress it up for the show?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
The SSR is rare.
Should I show it?
What category?
Often shown well as Pick-up truck by year.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Depending on the categories and size of the show, the SSR could fit in MY breakdown of truck, mini truck, (like SuperChevy Shows consider it to be), late model convertible, or "special interest".
We've shown in both mini truck stock (SuperChevy Maple Grove) and special interest on local shows.
The registry booth may be able to place it for you.
The sub category would be stock, modified, or custom, depending on what was done to your truck.
One ' R" at any show is sure to gather a crowd. Just be ready to answer the same questions all day.
What is it ?
Is it new ?
Is it custom ?
Did you build it ?...
and so forth.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took mine to a local. show and had top down and people showed interest and the same show month before took my custom Slingshot and
that had 10 times more questions and attention.
So you never know at any given show how response will be.

Went to another show with Slingshot and had a 69 perfect Camaro and 67 mustang GT and they wish I was not there with the Slingshot.
Had more crowds and questions than any one there..I left early that night..LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I usually go to 10/14 car shows per year in the summer. Been very blessed in placing in my class. The 1985 and newer is the class I'm usually entered into. A lot of the show's I enter have up to... 200 cars/trucks.But....my SSR is not a daily driver....nor is it stock.

Every area has different rules and class's for car/truck/bike shows.But enjoy the show walk around enjoy...nothing beats talking to person that has done all his/her own work on a classic car.

A lot of folks have never seen a Chevy SSR. Have fun.....

Cheers,:wink2:
vp

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,022 Posts
This is what I run into. All the car shows in my area are run by the Hot Rod/Custom Car Clubs or the Police department. They dictate who can and cannot officially be in the show. The cut off year is 1985 and older. They don't want some rich guy buying a car new and putting a ton of speed parts etc. on it and entering the show. With the year 1985 and older it is pretty much cars people have built or restored themselves. I know most of the folks in the clubs so they tell me bring mine, put the hood up, get my lawn chair out and prepare to answer a ton of questions, but "I am not in the show". So that works for me. No trophy or prizes but a very fun day hanging out with the motor heads and gear heads. The classes of customs are set up by the group putting the show on.

I would say talk to the promoter and they will help you get into the right category. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And I have to agree with most on that.. I found that local shows usually do not put years on them and the guy with brand new corvettes and Mustangs and looking brand new but like you said put tons of stuff on them
and really NO WORK going into building a car and they get most of big trophies and that is not fair for all the hard work that people put into older cars or custom.

Even the Slingshot shows I go to and I have 1 1/2 years of design and building into it . But when it comes to trophies they go to the ones with loud bolt on speakers and the neon lights that win all the time.
So will not be going to any more of those shows I can not stand the noise level .

But think the car / motorcycle shows/building are heading in direction that people like myself 66 yrs old do not relate to and with the sound systems playing / Neon Lights
more apart than actual building cars and restoring them or making custom parts to have a one of a kind seems to be fading away.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,361 Posts
We don't go to as many shows since around here they started having "Participant voting only" instead of "Spectator voting". All the car clubs and "Buddy" voting get the Trophies in Classes they are in. So when we go and take 2 or 3 cars and drop $100+ for registration, 50/50 drawing, junk food, kill 5 hours sitting in the heat--it is just to donate to the cause, talk to folks who want to visit and reminisce. SSR's class is either 2000 and newer truck, Convertible or Special/Limited Edition. Kathy's '66 Malibu class is '60's Car, the Chevelle class is Muscle Car or Street Rod.

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
The SSR is rare.
Should I show it?
What category?
Another Texas R... WOW. Please email me and I will get you in touch with our Texas Hill Country group, so you can show together.

Frank Brightwell [email protected]

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Depending on the categories and size of the show, the SSR could fit in MY breakdown of truck, mini truck, (like SuperChevy Shows consider it to be), late model convertible, or "special interest".
We've shown in both mini truck stock (SuperChevy Maple Grove) and special interest on local shows.
The registry booth may be able to place it for you.
The sub category would be stock, modified, or custom, depending on what was done to your truck.
One ' R" at any show is sure to gather a crowd. Just be ready to answer the same questions all day.
What is it ?
Is it new ?
Is it custom ?
Did you build it ?...
and so forth.
Hell, I don’t have to attend car shows for those questions. I just pull up to a Starbucks for coffee! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
We don't go to as many shows since around here they started having "Participant voting only" instead of "Spectator voting". All the car clubs and "Buddy" voting get the Trophies in Classes they are in. So when we go and take 2 or 3 cars and drop $100+ for registration, 50/50 drawing, junk food, kill 5 hours sitting in the heat--it is just to donate to the cause, talk to folks who want to visit and reminisce. SSR's class is either 2000 and newer truck, Convertible or Special/Limited Edition. Kathy's '66 Malibu class is '60's Car, the Chevelle class is Muscle Car or Street Rod.

Nick
:smile2:
Boy, I can relate to a lot of that. You pay a fee to get in and then struggle to find a good spot that hasn't already been taken or has lawn folding chairs "claiming" a spot or several spots for fellow (club members) and or buddies. Once you find a spot, then it only takes an hour or so (depending on size of event) to walk around and see all the other rides. Then as you say.....sit around for several hours......most of the time in super hot weather. After a while, it becomes no longer fun to do.:frown2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts