Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Tech Support/Research
1,446 Posts
Signature Series Badge Material

A non-invasive and nondestructive way of determining if lakecat's prototype badges and Jeff's (ssr ss 20) Signature Series #20 waterfall badge are metal is to test them using an electronic coating thickness gauge that uses both magnetic induction and eddy currents to determine the thickness of paint over ferrous (e.g., steel) and nonferrous (e.g., aluminum) base materials. If the gauge does not register any reading, it is likely that the badge is nonmetallic. With no coating, even bare steel and bare aluminum will register a zero thickness on the gauge.

The attached photo shows the gauge I use.

Attachments

·
BlueStreak
26,740 Posts
A non-invasive and nondestructive way of determining if lakecat's prototype badges and Jeff's (ssr ss 20) Signature Series #20 waterfall badge are metal is to test them using an electronic coating thickness gauge that uses both magnetic induction and eddy currents to determine the thickness of paint over ferrous (e.g., steel) and nonferrous (e.g., aluminum) base materials. If the gauge does not register any reading, it is likely that the badge is nonmetallic. With no coating, even bare steel and bare aluminum will register a zero thickness on the gauge.

The attached photo shows the gauge I use.
Get Thee ,and your meter, to Syracuse. What are you waiting for? Inquiring mind want to know!>:)>:)

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
So glad this bit of history was saved rather than discarded. There are still a lot of unanswered questions about the Signature Series..... that may account for why the gauges didn't show up as an option till sometime in 2004. Apparently the gauges were in place for show only, and were not hooked up.
Ray, yes the Auxiliary gauges first became available for normal production in May 2004 which was the week that my SSR was being built.

I had just went on line to see what might have be new to order and to my surprise I saw that option on the Chevrolet website was just made available for the dealers to order. I quickly contacted the Plant scheduler to see if it was possible to have her it added onto my SSR order. She checked for me and to my surprise she was able to update my manifest to have the gauges added to my order. She was also able to add it onto the window sticker. That is the reason why my SSR was able to be the first regular production SSR to have the auxiliary gauge package on it

·
Premium Member
9,199 Posts
I can confirm that Signature #25 still has its set of aux. gauges installed.
Is it possible to find out whether the auxiliary gauges are functional, or just for display. It would be surprising if they didn't work, especially on Sigs 19 - 25, which were the media review trucks. Something not working on those would likely have been broadcast, unless GM was proactive in letting media know they were not operational.

If they were operational, why did GM remove them from the Signature trucks before they were auctioned.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,446 Posts
Signature Series Aux. Gauges

Is it possible to find out whether the auxiliary gauges are functional, or just for display.

I had the same thought but when I had access to the truck the battery was dead so I was unable to confirm if they were operational. The best I could do was take a photo of the gauges in place.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,446 Posts
Waterfall Badges

For what it's worth, I used an electronic coating thickness gauge on both a Final Production Run Waterfall Badge (GM Part No. 15904062) and the limited edition SSR Waterfall badge that was available from Marc NY in the 2006 timeframe. Neither one is metallic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SIGNATURE SERIES AUXILIARY GAUGES (ULTRA VIOLET) --- As a GM retiree, I was able to tag and buy an early GM PEP vehicle #1GCES14P23B100333. The born on date was 7/29/2003. On 4/27/2004, I got a call that the vehicle was available in Pontiac ,MI with 6752 miles. I flew into Flint, MI on 5/4/2004 and saw that the mileage was actually 9893. Paperwork in the vehicle indicated that it was used as a "pool" vehicle in Arlington, TX and checked out for a recruiting trip to UT in Austin on 9/17/2003. There was no other information available on when the car was returned to michigan or why an additional 3000 miles added. The funny thing is that under the seat of my new black truck, I found a nice auxiliary gauge set in the ultra violet color. This may account for what happened to some of these U/V gauges. Later, I had them painted black & installed. They light & move about 1/4 right . The dealer found document ID:170910 which states they are not compatible with Vin prior to 3B101362 & with certain 2005 models. Makes me wonder if some of the boys in Lansing were doing some more Quality Control. I am still enjoying my first day truck which looks & drives like new with 54,000 miles. GM JIM

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Great story on the pool vehicle. The gentleman I acquired these SSR items from said he got to drive a red pool SSR for about a month or so. He had driven it to Oklahoma and back and said how people stopped him everywhere asking about this "custom" truck....lol.
Thanks for sharing.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts