Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scanning thru the big SSR book by James G, I note that he recommends this stuff for the rood seals and window seals, to keep them lubed up and sealing their best.

I've got a small tube of dielectric grease but have never heard of using it for this purpose.

Saw this in Amazon Prime

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Dielectric-Grease-Silicone-Waterproof-Marine/dp/B016E5E59G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa/143-0219907-6290934?ie=UTF8&qid=1512323797&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=silicone+dielectric+grease&psc=1#Ask[/ame]

Have any of you used this stuff for all the seals and recommend that is the way to go:|

·
OP
8,225 Posts
I use 303 protectant

Reactions: ABLUR05

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I bought a small container of silicon grease that they use in the diving industry (O rings and such). Bought it off Amazon.

A little bit goes a long way. Apply and wipe off excess in a few hours. Nicely resurrected seals at top of the windows.

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
Yes, silicone grease is good to use on rubber, have been doing it for many years. Make sure you use a tube of grease and not the spray stuff that has harmful propellants in it that actually hurts rubber parts.

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
The best for rubber is DuPont Krytox. But about $50 for 2 oz if I remember right.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,735 Posts
Apply a thin amount of silicone dielectric grease to all rubber pads/surfaces that come in contact with metal such as hood, tonneau cover, tailgate etc..

·
Lost In The 50's
1,156 Posts
Try it...You'll like it!!!!

I have used Napa Syl-Glyde on all my seals since I purchased my SSR 8 years ago. I got tired of the greasy sticky mess it left on the seals. Wife complained every time she put the windows up or down it left a greasy residue on the windows. It builds up after many uses. You can clean it off and apply new but you will always have the greasy residue.

I decided to try Gummi Pflege Stift used by another forum member. It was developed in Germany as a rubber seal protectant for use on Mercedes Benz vehicles. I cleaned all my seals with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the Syl-Glyde. Keep changing your rag to a clean rag to get rid of the residue.

Wow.......What a difference!!!! The seals are nice and pliable and absolutely no residue whatsoever. I'M SOLD!!!!

You can do an eBay search as I did and you can buy it for around $10.00 with "FREE" shipping. I've done all my vehicles (5) and hardly notice anything used from the bottle. It comes with a dobber just like the old liquid shoe polish bottles. It is very easy to apply with no mess. If you have a tight spot, put a little on a rag and wipe it on.

Try it...You will like it!!!! :seeya

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Go to your local pool supply store and buy a tube of silicon grease used for pool equipment 'O' rings. Same thing as the expensive stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts