Chevy SSR Forum banner

Silicone Grease?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cruzned 
#1 ·
:banghead I have been to several auto parts stores and have been unable to purchase "Silicone Grease". The manual states the importance of lubricating the rubber parts of the top and bed with silicone grease at least four times a year. I found a can of spray silicone but that's all. Any idea where I can get some of this stuff other than the dealership? Just want to protect all those seals getting exposed to the elements lately.

#2 ·
Silicon Grease

They have a silicon grease that is used for seals on diving equipment o-ring seals. It is very slick, but it only comes in small containers. However I've been using the silicon spray for years on the rubber seals of all my cars and it keeps the rubber soft and free of cracks. The spray should be fine.

#4 ·
NAPA Auto Parts has a couple of silicone lubricants in tube form.
One is called Sil-Glyde (part # 765-1351) comes in 4 oz. tube for about $4.69. The other is called Silicone Compound K2 (part # 765-1346) in an 8oz tube for $11.99. Both list lubricating and protecting rubber parts and weatherstripping.

#5 ·
Be careful in your application method of silicone spray on your weatherstrip. It is the right stuff for the job, but can get messy quick. I spray the stuff into a rag then wipe it onto the weatherstrip. If you spray directly onto the weatherstrip you can't control the spray pattern, and once applied the silicone is tough to get off. To add insult to injury, if left on any surfaces other than your weatherstrip, it will collect dust and dirt and turn into a brown film that abrades the paint when you attempt to remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.