Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on my silver wheels looks faded and uneven on 3 of the wheels. It seems to be getting worse with time. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this or if I was the only one. Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Silver wheels

Hey Kevin,

My 03 Redline Red is doing fine,no fading,sounds like it's time to send them out to the chrome shop or back to GM.

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Mine is an early 03 - wheels are fine - no fading at all.

Ray

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
revvin kevin said:
The paint on my silver wheels looks faded and uneven on 3 of the wheels. It seems to be getting worse with time. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this or if I was the only one. Thanks.
Hey Kevin,

Have you used anything other than car wash on the wheels? On my Yukon, I had some heavy brake dust built up, so I sprayed them with Super Clean (by Castrol) and it "melted" the clearcoating off of them and looked like you described.

If you did, only answer is to have them stripped and a reputable wheel shop and recoated.

Sorry for the bad news.........

·
Registered
132 Posts
discolour/corrosive look

Sounds like the same situation for my Infiniti wheels....Believe my son used a cleaning agent not suited.

Service tech told me they can be redone for about ($90-$100 Cdn).Perhaps this is common knowledge to most here,but it was news to me. The point is, it is of course a lot cheaper to redo than buy! HEH..but now you have an excuse for chrome, if you are so inclined. LOL

Frank

·
Registered
341 Posts
some info please on the silver anc chrome wheels .

1 are all 04 sssrs equipt with the silver wheels or do some come with the chrome wheels .
2 are the chrome wheels an option or are they for the 05 ssr
I am wondering because when i bought my ssr it came with chrome wheels and when i went back to pick up the runningboards they also gave me 4 silver wheels that came on the vehicle .

ps you know its bad when you gotta take the ford truck to pick up the chevy parts, becasue the running boards were to long to fit in the ssr

·
Registered
341 Posts
OUCH!! do you speak from experience ????

·
Registered
132 Posts
wheels/joedecat-Victoria

On my window GM MSRP sticker sheet the polished chrome wheels are listed as a $2300 Cdn $ option .You may have got a better deal than you thought!

Did some buying shows at the old Empress Hotel in the 90's. Always liked Victoria.

Frank

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the quick replies, Iguess I will have to go back to the dealership and find out what is going on. I bought my '04 with 3200 miles on it, the wheels were beginning to look bad then but are getting worse. I have never used anything other than carwash on them. I have waxed them a few times, but I also waxed my grill bar and running boards with no ill effects. Thanks again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
revvin kevin said:
Thanks for all the quick replies, Iguess I will have to go back to the dealership and find out what is going on. I bought my '04 with 3200 miles on it, the wheels were beginning to look bad then but are getting worse. I have never used anything other than carwash on them. I have waxed them a few times, but I also waxed my grill bar and running boards with no ill effects. Thanks again.
You may have to convince the service manager that SSR's are indead GM products. An if you succeed in doing that, hopefully they can help you. We are in a league of our own when it comes to service and repairs on SSR's. :banghead :banghead :banghead

GOOD LUCK!

fiftiesnut

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine was sent out by the dealer and chromed. It was a $1500.00 option but I am glad they did it. I like the look. :cool :cool

·
Administrator
8,206 Posts
Chrome Wheels

joedecat said:
1 are all 04 sssrs equipt with the silver wheels or do some come with the chrome wheels .
2 are the chrome wheels an option or are they for the 05 ssr
I am wondering because when i bought my ssr it came with chrome wheels and when i went back to pick up the runningboards they also gave me 4 silver wheels that came on the vehicle .

ps you know its bad when you gotta take the ford truck to pick up the chevy parts, becasue the running boards were to long to fit in the ssr
1.) Chrome wheels became an option early on in 04. They were very limited in production, in the beginning only 10 out 72 SSRs were made a day with chrome wheels. Consequently when I ordered My SSR I had to do some extra "research" to have an opportunity to add the chrome wheels to my order. In the beginning Wayne Cherry (Godfather) of the SSR wanted no chrome on the SSRs. Mr. Cherry wanted all the trim to harmonize so the brushed aluminum appearance was used throughout the SSR. It wasn't until a few engineers/desingers in GM were able to "persuade" him that it would be nice to have a chrome option on the SSRs.

2.) You were very lucky to have someone order the Chrome Wheels after delivery, that is why you have both sets of wheels. (say thank you to the dealer for giving you both sets)

subman576 said:
Mine was sent out by the dealer and chromed. It was a $1500.00 option but I am glad they did it. I like the look. :cool :cool
To Subman576, I like to see a set of SSR wheels chromed after market. Do you have a photo close up to share with everyone on here? :thumbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts