Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am suppose to pick up my new Dodge 2500 truck this afternoon, but I have a question for all you "techies" out there. Dodge comes with "Sirius" and I have XM in the SSR. My question to you is.. what are the possibilities, that I could have someone crack the dash, pull out the sirius components and put in the XM and it still work with the stock radio.?

I am just curious.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Your radio may have the Sirius inside and you would have to replace the entire unit. If it had an add on unit, switching might work. You won't know until an expert replies or you pull the unit for inspection.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Focks said:
I am suppose to pick up my new Dodge 2500 truck this afternoon, but I have a question for all you "techies" out there. Dodge comes with "Sirius" and I have XM in the SSR. My question to you is.. what are the possibilities, that I could have someone crack the dash, pull out the sirius components and put in the XM and it still work with the stock radio.?

I am just curious.
I went to the Dodge web site to look at the head unit for the Ram 2500. It looks to me that the $195 price for Sirius upgrades the head unit for built-in satellite radio, which would include an antenna and cable to the head unit. Terk has just released an XM-Direct unit that works with any OEM head unit with RDS, but looking at the head unit in the Ram 2500, it's not apparant that it has RDS.

At any rate, ditching Sirius for XM, you'd have to install another antenna (I don't know if the Sirius antenna is compatible, my guess is no), and would not get full functionality of the display with the XM-Direct/RDS unit. You could install an XM Commander if you absolutely wanted XM. It's feasable you could have both XM and Sirius in your truck with an XM Commander and, say, a Blitzsafe interface that would plug into the back of your Ram head unit.

But, in practical terms? You're going to get a period of free use of Sirius (3 or 6 months, some have a year). Consider the cost of changing over to XM would pay for a year or more of Sirius service.... I'd just stick with Sirius, and do something like dump the crappy OEM speakers for something better, maybe have a subwoofer put in somewhere.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point about the free trial, I was informed this evening that I get a 1-year free trial, so i guess i will have both for awhile.

·
Registered
374 Posts
SS My R said:
A one year free trial???????? They only give three months of XM with the HHR.
Sirius is aggressively trying to increase it's suscriber numbers. They count cars with Sirius units installed at the factory as "suscribers" even though the car or truck may be unsold sitting on a dealer's lot, as opposed to XM, which does not count a suscriber until they've completed their trial period and sign up for real. That's how Sirius was able to boast getting to 2 million suscribers recently. XM isn't as generous with the trial period for this reason... the longer the free period, the longer it will be till they can count that listener as a suscriber.

I don't really understand why there are separate, incompatable radio units anyway. It's like saying if you want HBO and Showtime, you have to have two different cable boxes. Why not have a single receiver that can decode either service, and let the owner decide which one to suscribe to (or go for both)?

·
Premium Member
31,421 Posts
Donnysan said:
I don't really understand why there are separate, incompatable radio units anyway. It's like saying if you want HBO and Showtime, you have to have two different cable boxes. Why not have a single receiver that can decode either service, and let the owner decide which one to suscribe to (or go for both)?
It's the same as digital satellite as well. I have DISH Network, but no way would could I subscribe to DirectTV with it (not that I'd want it to, I think DISH is superior).

Part of the issue is that the company is not only selling a product (the subscription to the service), but in the case of XM, they are the "manufacturer". I see plenty of aftermarket products with Sirius built-in, but very little with XM built-in. It's not unlike the IBM PC vs. Apple. IBM released the specs of their hardware to the public domain and the PC clone flourished (while IBM floundered). Apple jealously kept their stuff to themselves and made companies pay dearly for the rights to use it and it suffered.

Personally, I am kinda partial to XM. They're local here (located in NE DC), and I have a friend that has done consulting work for one of their execs.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Donnysan said:
I also believe that one day we'll be able to subscribe to one or the other.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old post, but I was hoping someone here might know this...

I've recently decided to bite and start trying to listen to radio again, so I'm debating between XM and Sirius...today while helping my mom with some stuff, I was listening to XM in her Equinox. I was surprised to hear quite a few commercials--for 1800-petmeds or that crap to regrow hair. :banghead I was under the impression that satellite radio was ad-free due to its subscription costs.

It was on Station 11 (Nashville, since she only listens to country), and I didn't get the opportunity to surf...but they were pretty regular. Almost as often as on an old radio station.

Is this a regular occurance? Or was I just on the wrong channel at the wrong time? Does Sirius have these as well? Forgive me but I had never heard of this before and found it unusual.

·
Registered
185 Posts
PhantomAudio said:
Sorry to bring up this old post, but I was hoping someone here might know this...

I've recently decided to bite and start trying to listen to radio again, so I'm debating between XM and Sirius...today while helping my mom with some stuff, I was listening to XM in her Equinox. I was surprised to hear quite a few commercials--for 1800-petmeds or that crap to regrow hair. :banghead I was under the impression that satellite radio was ad-free due to its subscription costs.

It was on Station 11 (Nashville, since she only listens to country), and I didn't get the opportunity to surf...but they were pretty regular. Almost as often as on an old radio station.

Is this a regular occurance? Or was I just on the wrong channel at the wrong time? Does Sirius have these as well? Forgive me but I had never heard of this before and found it unusual.

yes, it is a regular occurrence. I think that only certain stations are commercial free. Many stations are loaded with commercials. A lot of trucking commercials on 10,11 and 12.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sirius

I listen to a lot of Sirius radio. I have one in the home and two others in a couple of my cars.
The music channels on Sirius are commercial free. The talk channels have limited commercials at this time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts