Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install a Sirus satellite radio antenna. Where is the best location to install the antenna??

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Placed mine on the center of the dash next to the windshield. I've never experienced any problems and reception is fine.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,735 Posts
I have mine inside of the dash, there is a flat plate it sits on and works perfectly. The one on my bike is inside the faring and works perfectly as well.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I have mine inside of the dash, there is a flat plate it sits on and works perfectly. The one on my bike is inside the faring and works perfectly as well.
:|
I guess you guys mean that the stock SSR radio will accomodate SIRUS stations if I subscribe and get another antenna :surprise:

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
:|
I guess you guys mean that the stock SSR radio will accomodate SIRUS stations if I subscribe and get another antenna :surprise:
No, the stock radio does not come with XM/SIRUS radio. However, you can attach a Terk XMDGMK XM Direct kit to the stock radio and have it operate thru you stock radio. you can select it via your band selections and the channels display on your radio like AM/FM stations.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I placed my antenna on the upper driver side corner of the outside windshield support. It is a magnet style antenna and sticks to the outer body. Ran the cable up underneath the outer A-post trim. the A-post trim is held on with Velcro and easy to remove and reinstall. This works well.

Reactions: Hollister SSR

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
I used the same flat plate...... It is located under the plastic dash cover, just inside the windshield, near the ambient light sensor in the center of the dash. Been in use since 2006.......

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I placed my antenna on the upper driver side corner of the outside windshield support. It is a magnet style antenna and sticks to the outer body. Ran the cable up underneath the outer A-post trim. the A-post trim is held on with Velcro and easy to remove and reinstall. This works well.
IDENTICAL SPOT WHERE MINE IS...BEEN THERE SINCE
2006 WITHOUT A PROBLEM..:thumbs

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,314 Posts
Shortly after "adopting" The Doophus, I had Sirius professionally installed . . .

The add-on Sirius Tuner was located just behind the OEM Radio and the Antenna was centered on the brace under the dash behind the windshield as others have already mentioned.

The entire system is "out of sight" and both the Steering Wheel Buttons and the OEM Display work flawlessly. The reception has never been an issue after more than 12 years.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Mine was installed under the dash in the position mentioned by several here. On my way home from the Phoenix area to Hollister it worked just fine until I turned north on Hwy 5 when SiriusXM reception changed from good to bad. I was able to determine that the two SiriusXM satellites were in the southern sky and deduced that when driving northerly, with the roof in the up position, it was blocking the signals from reaching the antenna. Seemed logical at the time and I moved the antenna to the outside in the upper right corner of the windshield. Since that time it has worked fine. I have to admit that I’m bewildered that so many others have successfully used that interior location with no ill effects. I would just say that if you use that interior location and have reception problems with the roof up to try moving it to the outside where the antenna is more exposed to the southerly sky.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Going to install a Sirus satellite radio antenna. Where is the best location to install the antenna??
Hi Bob,

I believe it all depends on the topography of your driving area. For the flatlanders, I am sure the under dash placement will work fine. I tried that initially, but lost the signal whenever I passed through any areas with obstructed views. I now have the magnet-style antenna centered along the top of the windshield seal. It works great for me! As others have mentioned, I ran my wires along the driver's side A-frame under the Velcro covers, then along the seal.

David :blur:

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,601 Posts
Originally, I had a Terk (XM) module installed in my 04 SSR and I had the antenna located under the top dash cover on the front metal bracket. That worked well for the XM receiver.

When I upgraded to a Pioneer head unit with the Sirius receiver, I placed the antenna in the same location. It worked but there were a lot of "no signal" situations with only minor overhead obstructions.

I moved my antenna to the outside/center/top of the SSR windshield area and the reception has been very good. Only normal "no signal" situations occur when large obstructions (bridges) are overhead.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Mine is just like sbubbaklein on the upper driver side corner of the outside windshield support. It is the magnetic style antenna and sticks to the outer body. The cable runs up underneath the outer A-post trim held on with Velcro and easy to remove and reinstall. This how I got my R and works great. Very satisfied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts