Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK !!
For those that opted to carry a spare:
I picked up a sissor jack yesterday but I'm thinking I need to return it.
Considering the Running Boards, To position the jack under the frame it needs to be under so far that you can't operate the jack. I probably can find a jack with a longer cranking handle but now I'm thinking a bottle jack might be the way to go.
Since it never came with a spare I can't find any GM recommended jack type or precise lifting points on the vehicle.
Any thoughts ??
Thanks Ed

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
OK !!
For those that opted to carry a spare:
I picked up a sissor jack yesterday but I'm thinking I need to return it.
Considering the Running Boards, To position the jack under the frame it needs to be under so far that you can't operate the jack. I probably can find a jack with a longer cranking handle but now I'm thinking a bottle jack might be the way to go.
Since it never came with a spare I can't find any GM recommended jack type or precise lifting points on the vehicle.
Any thoughts ??
Thanks Ed
I went to the junkyard and got a jack kit out of a Blazer. Same frame and seemed to work fine. It was a bottle type jack. I believe there was a set of instructions with it, so it should show the points for the jack.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I have the spare kit though it isn't mounted yet and I bought a 12v electric 3 ton jack on Ebay with the ratchet gun included.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
If you have a flat Front.... there's about 4 inches to get a jack under the frame. If you have front spoiler, forget getting under, at first. Probably have to jack from closer to the rear part of the frame, and then prop it up and change the position of the jack until you can get the front high enough to mount the Inflated front tire. The Rear is easier.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,370 Posts
I'm pretty sure a bottle jack is too tall to go under the frame rails. Just checked and my smallest 1and1/4 ton bottle jack is too tall to go under the frame rail without a flat and is the same height as my 20 ton stubby bottle jack.Probably would have the same problem with the handle travel. HA! Get ready for all the AAA folks

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
Mike,s (simple-engineering) Spare tire kit comes with all the tools you need. Jack (2 ton scissor), breaker bar with impact socket for lug nuts, Ratchet and impact socket for the winch, and the 10" extension you will need for both lug nuts and winch. All, except the breaker bar, comes in a nice back to keep it all together.

I still call AAA if I am not out in the sticks where it is faster to do it myself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like I'll be looking for a more suitable sissor jack. I agree the bottle jacks are too tall.
Im not familiar with any junk yards in my area (they're probably around somewhere but I'd be out of my element)
Anyway, I always planned on putting it in the bed and somehow this project took on a life of its own.
Alloy Wheel (cha-Ching cha-Ching)
New Tire. (Cha- Ching .....
Tire cover. ....
Jack. ........
Lug wrench ......

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
If you feel more comfortable with a bottle jack, you can use the scissor jack to lift high enough to put the bottle jack and lift the rest of the way. I've NEVER had a flat in a place where the road surface was optimal and in my favor to change the tire. I have AAA for that. I also installed the spare tire kit to give me more room to pack for 3+ week trips. the spare takes up a LOT of room in the trunk that is lost to packing luggage for the Mrs.

Reactions: Quest

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I vote for the compact floor jack. I have used the scissor jack that comes with the spare tire kit twice I found that the bottom bracket bowed out (like a smile). I have replaced it with the compact floor jack.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
floor jack

I got a compact floor jack that is aluminum from Harbor Freight. The handle splits and it is fairly compact. There are some smaller ones out there but I am comfortable with the quality.

I have used it when I change my wheels around from black to chrome to satin. It is 1-1/2 ton so it works it a bit. Most of the time I use my 3 ton floor jack, but the 1-1/2 ton does not take up a lot of space in the trunk and is quite adequate.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
I'll catch ---- for this, but--- since compact floor jack was mentioned, $59.99 1 1/2 ton ( plenty for one corner) Aluminum racing jack at harbor freight with the coupon which is everywhere. I use one in the shop, along with two steel 2 ton floor jacks. It is only 3 1/2" lowered and 14" lift. HA! ok here it comes!

Nick

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Thanks Dave----you beat me to it!!

Nick

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll catch ---- for this, but--- since compact floor jack was mentioned, $59.99 1 1/2 ton ( plenty for one corner) Aluminum racing jack at harbor freight with the coupon which is everywhere. I use one in the shop, along with two steel 2 ton floor jacks. It is only 3 1/2" lowered and 14" lift. HA! ok here it comes!

Nick
Actually that not a bad option. If you check that it works when you get it home and then maybe never use it again, or maybe years later ? Heck!! Even a Harbor Freight jack should work at least twice.
And YES !!
The spare takes up more than half the bed area :surprise: but when we travel I encourage the wife to wear Less ! clothes >:)

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
It sounds like I'll be looking for a more suitable sissor jack. I agree the bottle jacks are too tall.
Im not familiar with any junk yards in my area (they're probably around somewhere but I'd be out of my element)
Anyway, I always planned on putting it in the bed and somehow this project took on a life of its own.
Alloy Wheel (cha-Ching cha-Ching)
New Tire. (Cha- Ching .....
Tire cover. ....
Jack. ........
Lug wrench ......
Hey, thats the same sound my computer makes every time I visit the Simple Engineering site....... :glol :glol :glol

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,785 Posts
I think if I carried a jack in my R it would be an aluminum scissor jack. One for the ability to roll it around and position where you want it and two that it's aluminum so it's easier to carry versus steel.

Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I vote for AAA
I've got AAA
But ??
If I'm in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night........
Cell phone coverage ????
And if you may have noticed ??
Not many options for a consealed weapon !!
And what are the odds that the "middle of nowhere" will have your tire.
Sorry but I'm not fond of being a victim.
No offense but we all do what we gotta do :wink2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts