Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one put a larger radiator in there ssr and if so did help with temperature?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
Has any one put a larger radiator in there ssr and if so did help with temperature?
There are a number of things to do in order to get your temperature to behave as designed. Typically, changing the radiator for a more substantial unit is a last resort in trying to keep a highly modified SSR or one used for towing cool. Most of the upgraded radiators I’ve sold went into SSRs pushing 600+ horsepower.

The problem is most easily solved with a few simple updates. The choice of which one depends on the problem you are encountering. I usually recommend starting with a “cooling system tune-up” with a new thermostat, seal and pressure cap. This levels out the playing field a lot and allows you to decide what to do next.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tha
There are a number of things to do in order to get your temperature to behave as designed. Typically, changing the radiator for a more substantial unit is a last resort in trying to keep a highly modified SSR or one used for towing cool. Most of the upgraded radiators I’ve sold went into SSRs pushing 600+ horsepower.

The problem is most easily solved with a few simple updates. The choice of which one depends on the problem you are encountering. I usually recommend starting with a “cooling system tune-up” with a new thermostat, seal and pressure cap. This levels out the playing field a lot and allows you to decide what to do next.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
When I had my 2005 "tuned" when I put the 4.56 in they adjusted temp at which the fan came on. I also had a sticking OEM fan that I replaced with one of Mike's. I also have a pusher fan on a thermostat it kicks on when its hot and the engine is off.

The only time that it gets towards the upper end is at altitude going up mountains etc.

IDK what year yours is, but the OEM radiator keeps mine cool with those adjustments.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Please help me understand the relationship between the title of this thread and the subject matter???
:)
I'm glad to see you asked, cause when I saw it earlier this morning, I thought the same thing. However, you can see Mike ignored that part as he could sense a potential sale.(y)

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
I'm glad to see you asked, cause when I saw it earlier this morning, I thought the same thing. However, you can see Mike ignored that part as he could sense a potential sale.(y)
There is no "sense of a potential sale" here. Perhaps you would like to address the system design and failure modes of all the components in the system for Claude. While you're at it, please suggest the most likely issues that should be addressed and their ranking in probability of the cause for him to post the question.....

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
I'm hoping that your comment on Mike pushing a sale was a poor attempt at humor?! If it wasn't, then you're just plain wrong!

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
There is no "sense of a potential sale" here. Perhaps you would like to address the system design and failure modes of all the components in the system for Claude. While you're at it, please suggest the most likely issues that should be addressed and their ranking in probability of the cause for him to post the question.....

Hey Mike, Thanks for the hundreds of times that you've explained the SSR cooling system and offered solutions - your patience is truly remarkable!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I'm hoping that your comment on Mike pushing a sale was a poor attempt at humor?! If it wasn't, then you're just plain wrong!
:confused:
Well, maybe it did come out as a "poor attempt at humor", but humor was what I had in mind. My ride came with Mikes fans and I have met him and also purchased other SSR goodies from him. In addition, I've recommended him and his custom parts to others in prior posts here.

So I apologize as it seems my "humor" attempt backfired.

As Wizzr pointed out, he didn't understand the topic versus the posted title..........nor do I and I still don't. I did't expect anyone to address the (real) reason for his post only discovered once reading the whole thing (without) at some point asking about the "title" he chose to use.:oops:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,016 Posts
I opened the thread based on the title but once I read the first post I forgot the title completely and figured the answers were the important thing. OOPS!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not sure where your at Claude but when my 04 was running hot I went thru the whole system flushed it, changed the reservoir tank, new hoses upper and lower, thermostat, and radiator cap. Then I had it tuned to change settings for when fan comes on, replaced the OEM fan with one of Mike's and added his lower spoiler to increase airflow, I run around 190 and maybe go up to 200 when I'm running up and down the Mts. Sounds like a lot but what price do you put on peace of mind while your driving around, replacing the OEM fan would be a waste of time and money they were junk to begin with,

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
@claude I see you live in Tomball. You just missed a great tech day in Winnie, there were a lot of knowledgeable SSR folk there that could have probably pointed you in the right direction.

There's a great group of Fanatics that meet the second Saturday of the month (with the virus I would assume that is on hold) in Tomball at the Harris County Smokehouse -14243 FM 2920 in Tomball for breakfast. Lot of great minds in that group that could get you going. Maybe one of them will chime in if I have posted the wrong info on their breakfast.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,016 Posts
@claude I noticed you have been a member since May of 2015 but only have 5 posts so I am going to suspect you are not a joiner. This is a group of your best friends you never met.Nobody is going to twist your arm to get youo to listen but they will offer advice and help if you are willing to listen. Texas has a very active group thatt you should at least try to meet. @Dinerman is the trail boss and sends out email notices for those who do not follow what is going on by checking the Texas Forum under America near the bottom of the Forum listing page.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts