Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all if you don't know what slaying the dragon/Deals Gap is check out this website www.tailofthedragon.com
I went over on Sunday (hubby is in FL on motorcycle so this was my adventure)
and rode Deals Gap. Its a VERY popular road for motorcycles and fast cars. Its mostly motorcycles. Lots of you know about this road and have traveled it I'm sure. It was a lot of fun in the SSR. I saw a few Vettes but I was the only SSR. I stopped for about an hour and watched the bikes. The young guys on crotch rockets are crazy. They pass you on those curves like it aint nothing. I would like to do it again but through the week when less crowded. But it is fun to go over on Saturday/Sunday to observe also.
We were thinking of maybe next spring or early summer hosting an SSR get together if anyone is interested. Slaying the dragon in a parade of SSR's would be awesome. I know the area well and could set up lunch and also some other rides in the mountains up here. We own a motel and could offer discounted rates to those wanting to spend the night if we could set it up when were not busy. If my facilities are not what your looking for I can help you find what your looking for. Also we have a covered pavillion with grills and we could throw a cookout or something like that. We could do it sooner but figured that would give people a chance to think about it plus we will be closing in a few weeks for the winter.
:ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wildcat66 said:
I have heard about this road and it looks like it would be fun. What speeds did you get up to?
You know I didnt even look. I was to busy dodging crotch rockets. I really need to go back on a weekday and do it. Also, if you notice the pictures of the 18 wheelers hung up on the curves, that really does happen. I've seen it twice over there myself. Dummies. One was hung yesterday but the road wasnt completely blocked.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Wish I'd heard of it before. Picked up my SSR in Greensboro, NC, and drove to Mariville, TN through the Smoky Mountains - decided to check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge on 441, then across to Maryville on 321. Great driving, but sounds like I missed an adventure.

Ray

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slideshow

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?adisp?a=237597&t=1&b=10016

Just wanted to show ya'll what I found on that www.tailofthedragon.com website I had posted in this thread earlier. I saw photographers on the side of the road while I was cruising the tail but didnt know what they were doing. They take pictures and then post them and you can go in and find them and buy them. So if any of ya'll ever slay the dragon, be sure and go on there and find your pictures. Click on that long link above to see my slideshow that you can get off there also!!!!!! :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr

P.S. Buffy I know you where there recently, you may be able to find pictures of you & Pat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd love this

We went to Gatlinburg back in JUly but I had to drive our Tahoe. I would have loved to have been able to drive my SSR.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
fun run

that looks like a blast! :thumbs

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've ridden the dragon a few times on my goldwing and it is a real blast. there are 318 curves in 11 miles. As soon as you come out of one curve you are into the next. I would highly recommend that it be avoided on weekends as that is when all the nuts come out.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The Dragon

:ssr Great slideshow Gina. You looked like you were having a ball. :thumbs

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wingrider said:
I've ridden the dragon a few times on my goldwing and it is a real blast. there are 318 curves in 11 miles. As soon as you come out of one curve you are into the next. I would highly recommend that it be avoided on weekends as that is when all the nuts come out.

You are so right about the weekend thing as far as driving it. However, it is fun to pull over and watch them though. I pulled over with some people near a good curve and we stood there and watched the idiots for at least an hour. For those of you that saw the movie The Fugitive with Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford. Remember the dam he jumped off of? Well it is there on the dragon and its a popular pullover spot to. You can also ride the smoky Mountain train and see where the crash scene of the train was filmed. :ssr

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Sounds like a Cruise In Idea

Would love to try and organize a spring cruise- in the ride the 'tail", who's interested?:party

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Danny & I will definitely be there. Knowing the area as I do, it needs to be late spring because of the elevation. We can still get a little snow and ice in April here. Plus you definitley want to do that ride topless. :cool :ssr

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
We did the Dragon on a Tuesday in our vette, we pretty much had the road to ourselves - it is a blast, and the scenery is beautiful! We would love to go again if you put something together! :seeya

By the way, I read something on one of the Corvette forums about them making part of the Dragon a 4-lane highway - since you're in the area have you heard anything about that? It would be a horrible waste of a really great road! :mad

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Who is going to organize?

I'll be happy to help, but I think we need to get some help from Gina with the dates. Also, Gina how close is your hotel in case we need some rooms? :cheers

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vettegirl said:
We did the Dragon on a Tuesday in our vette, we pretty much had the road to ourselves - it is a blast, and the scenery is beautiful! We would love to go again if you put something together! :seeya

By the way, I read something on one of the Corvette forums about them making part of the Dragon a 4-lane highway - since you're in the area have you heard anything about that? It would be a horrible waste of a really great road! :mad
Check www.tailofthedragon.com and there is some info on that. I hope it never happens.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts