Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you ever replaced or modified your sun visors so that they were extendable to the full length of the door? On several of my vehicles the telescoping or sliding visor has been very helpful & I would like to have that capability in my SSR. I was thinking that the 05-09 Trailblazer visor which does slide looks close but I have not measured one yet to see if it would fit. Open to any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
I've driven early mornings and at sunset and feel your pain. I wear the wrap around sunglasses, now. Have a selection of colors for each time of the day. Worst condition is directly into the sun ! That's probably the time to pull over and wait a few minutes till it settles down.... maybe a leg stretch or something. It'll be gone in a few minutes. Your mounting flange would be the first place to modify, it the new one is Not a direct fit. Maybe fill the holes, re drill, and countersink to fit the SSR. Good luck with your fix. Please take pics and show how you fixed this. Safe travels to both of you ! Looking forward to our next meet up ! Best Regards, Fuji

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fuji,

The main issue is when driving north or south and the sun is frying my neck or in my eyes because the visor is shorter than the door glass. I have had several cars that have had the ability to slide so I will find a way to make it happen, even if I have to have it custom-built. However it is done, I will post it here as I'm sure others would want this as well.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
How about black poster paper cut to size tape the seam, slide over your visor and use as needed.
They had something like this in the days before extendable visors.
Check Amazon.com, I'm sure they will have something useable until you find a more permanent solution.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
If you put that on your visor it won't go into the recess in the header, and you can't open the mirror.

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm looking to make this ride better than original in this department. Anything that straps onto the visor will not be acceptable aesthetically. I will likely have to find a sliding one that fits and get it reupholstered. I will let you all know if I can make this happen.

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I was quoted $800 to have them made by a local shop so I decided to make covers that slide instead. They work fine and cover the airbag sticker. Not perfect but only about $8 in material.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
My 81 Corvette sun visors telescoped on the metal rod. I would think this would be an easy Mod. By adding a sleeve over the rod. I'll look into it and see if it can be done without destroying the oem visor.
Greg

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
No, I was quoted $800 to have them made by a local shop so I decided to make covers that slide instead. They work fine and cover the airbag sticker. Not perfect but only about $8 in material.
When I'm in the driver's seat and swing the visor to the left , into the window, it hangs down in a weird position. How does you mod work for that?
I know what others are saying, I've had cars with a squarer(?) mount that would swing around, be parallel to the window/roof line and then extend. Very nice for tall people that push the seat all the way back.

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I'm in the driver's seat and swing the visor to the left , into the window, it hangs down in a weird position. How does you mod work for that?
I know what others are saying, I've had cars with a squarer(?) mount that would swing around, be parallel to the window/roof line and then extend. Very nice for tall people that push the seat all the way back.
I have the seat all the way back too. The visor have that strange angle on all our trucks. With the sleeve, I extend them and then angle the visor drop depth to block the sun. It works in most cases but not all. Same would be the case for extended visors I believe.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have the seat all the way back too. The visor have that strange angle on all our trucks. With the sleeve, I extend them and then angle the visor drop depth to block the sun. It works in most cases but not all. Same would be the case for extended visors I believe.
Okay, thanks. I might try something. Pretty easy to experiment with.

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did mine all with 1/4" double-sided tape. No glue or staples used.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
Looked at my sun visor today. I don't know if it can be modified to telescope with out tearing one apart. Will see if I can pick up a cheap SSR visor to experiment with.
As far as the downward angle when swung to the side window, I think that can be corrected by changing the angle of the mounting flange with a spacer without affecting the stow position. I'll experiment with that. I'm also going to figure out how to tighten up the pivot as mine is really loose when swung to the window and swings back on a hard turn.
Another project to keep me out of the bars!
Greg

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Noted on one of the "Tech Session" videos that the Visors for our SSR's were sourced from Cadillac. No details but imagine they were current inventory in stock at GM. Possibly 2003 model year? Perhaps search for dimensions from their different offerings in 2003 to identify which car/SUV, then look at options available.
Just a train of thought... :deal:
Boomer Bob :ssr

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noted on one of the "Tech Session" videos that the Visors for our SSR's were sourced from Cadillac. No details but imagine they were current inventory in stock at GM. Possibly 2003 model year? Perhaps search for dimensions from their different offerings in 2003 to identify which car/SUV, then look at options available.
Just a train of thought... :deal:
Boomer Bob :ssr
Thanks Bob,

I looked into that before I created my sliding covers. The ones that are the closest that i could find were in the 04 Seville. They do slide and the mounting is very similar. I even went to a junkyard and pulled a pair. The base could be modified to fit as it is just a little different but they would need to be recovered as the interior material in the Caddys are more of a felt-like fabric. In the end, I found my sliding cover to be a better solution.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
I'm getting my hands on a few tan ones that were the same as our SSR Visors to experiment with. I have been playing with adding spacers under the visor mount to level it out and I think that is a workable solution by changing the angle of the mounting plate with a machined ABS spacer and longer screws.
I will also look for a way to modify so they Telescope like the Escalade visors that Bruce posted but that won't do much good until I can get them level when swung to the window.
I will also look at a way to add some friction to the arm so it stays in place when swung to the window.
Those visors have annoyed me from day one of my SSR ownership!
This will be a good winter project filler!
Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts