Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep the center caps correctly aligned with
the wheel? I see the valve stem symbol and point it towards the valve stem . The caps stay
on ok but slip out of alignment . I guess there should be some type of guide to lock the cap in
place. May have been broken off by a previous owner. Any suggestion would be great as this doesn't
look cool and cool is important!

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,400 Posts
Good question, RocknR . . .

About ten plus years ago The Doophus was having the same issue until I followed this simple "quick fix" . . .

Cut a few (two or three should do it) small strips (about 1/2 inch) of double sided tape. Randomly fold the strips over the little prongs on the inside of each center cap. Takes a grand total of about ten minute and . . .

NO MORE SLIPPING yet the cap is still fairly easy to remove when necessary.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
Carolina Fanatic
7,409 Posts

About ten plus years ago The Doophus was having the same issue until I followed this simple "quick fix" . . .

Cut a few (two or three should do it) small strips (about 1/2 inch) of double sided tape. Randomly fold the strips over the little prongs on the inside of each center cap. Takes a grand total of about ten minute and . . .

Thank you Curt :laugh:

·
Ret. Air Force
3,644 Posts

P.S. Curt's center caps haven't slipped since he did this, TRUE...BUT, DOOPHUS hasn't left the garage since he did it either!! :pokey:...:glol....:glol

(Love ya Curt!!) :grouphug

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,419 Posts
Just a reminder. If you have any work done where they are going to have to remove the wheels like front end alignment, new tires, brakes, etc. always take your caps off prior to dropping your SSR off for that work. The shop will appreciate it and you will save the frustration of them breaking one. Just a tip.

·
Premium Member
29,872 Posts
The metal wire that loops the tabs is actually there as a spring. It must be on the inside of all of the tabs to create the pressure to keep it installed. If it's not, then that's why it's slipping.

it's also possible one or more are cracked at the base. If so, then the tape solution is likely your best bet.

·
Premium Member
25,529 Posts
Just a reminder. If you have any work done where they are going to have to remove the wheels like front end alignment, new tires, brakes, etc. always take your caps off prior to dropping your SSR off for that work. The shop will appreciate it and you will save the frustration of them breaking one. Just a tip.
Yes and when you put them on...picture of value stem on inside of cap to the value stem of the wheel.
If the finger or fingers get broke on the cap they can be glued.

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Just a warning, I had a slightly loose cap it would move slightly after being driven.
Never worried about it, till one day heading to Sonic with the Grandson, we hear a bang, pulled over on the freeway (It was that loud) Checked the truck out, center cap missing on right front tire and 3 deep gouges on the passenger door. Searched for cap, no luck.
So what I learned , make sure caps are tight and don't move, replacement OEM caps cost a lot, good touch up paint work isn't cheap.
I have my OEM set in a box, and run repro caps unless we are going to a show.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I have never removed the caps and I am unsure how to without breaking any tabs. I have 2 that rotate slightly after driving. I would like to take them off and do a repair. Can someone give me the procedure for safely removing them.

David

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
Bruce do you just take a flat screw driver and pry it off carefully?
You can tape up a screwdriver or use a plastic pry-bar but I know what you're thinking. You think you can sweet talk that virgin hubcap, Aw come on baby, I just want to put the tip in. That won't do it, you won't get enough movement. I used to slide the screwdriver in 3 or 4 inches and pull up prying against the rim inside the cap and lifting at the notch. The cap would distort quite a bit but never broke one.

Then Mike in AZ came up with that paint can opener that Doophus pictured. It has a hook on the business end which can grab the hubcap in that slot and pull it straight up with less risk of breaking something.
Then there are about forty eleven different ways to keep the cap from turning when you put it back on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
18 Participants
oldtiimer
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing