Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 SSR with the trailer option that has the super fast blinking of the turn signals. Is there a relay or something that is simple to change to get the blinking turn signal back to a normal speed?

Steve

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
When & where did you buy it. The problem could be LED lamps in the turn signals. There are a couple solutions if this is the problem. If you bought it from a private party you could ask them. If you bought it from a dealer you should get them to remedy the situation. Let us know a bit more about you and where you are by filling in the information in your profile. Just go to User CP in the upper right of the page and the Profile/edit details in the column on the left of the new screen. If there is some one near you they might offer to help out in trouble shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Fast blinking?

Does it blink fast on L & R? If only on one it maybe a bulb burned out. If it is both either someone has installed LED bulbs but not the correct flasher or it is a faulty flasher.
Here is a link to the installation of the flasher. If you have LEDs you will need to purchase a LM486.

Lay down under the rear fender, reach up and twist the bulb housing on the taillight, and pull it out. You can tell if it is a regular bulb or a multi-faced LED.

Have fun.

Jack

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
As mentioned, either a light is out or you have LED's but not the LED flasher module.

If you have LED's but no flasher module it's about a $50-$60 fix. If you just have a light out then you're only talking about a $10 fix.

You should just be able to look through the red lens and see if it's a bulb or LED light.

Josh

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,563 Posts
On my 2003 the previous owner had put in the wrong flasher and it blinked way too fast....check that the flasher that's in your truck has the right part# on it, or just get a stock one and change it out and it will be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the bulbs and they are standard round shape. Turn signals on both sides flash the same speed. All lights are working.
Put the emergency flashers on and they blink slower.
I am guessing what was said is that the flasher could be the wrong one, unless the towing option causes the blinkers to use a different flasher unit in that case. When the wiring harness is hooked to a trailer, maybe the speed slows down.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Trailer option

Has the trailer lights harness been uncovered and a coupling installed? If so remove the connector and see what happen.

Not having the trailer lights connected should not have any effect. I think you have the wrong or fault flasher installed. Change the flasher with an OEM flasher. Here is a link to E-Bay A/C Delco # 15231201 $34.86 free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-15231201-Flasher/292007294761?hash=item43fcfdb729:g:dEcAAOSwAL9Ukr6z&vxp=mtr or Amazon for $35.73 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15231201-Original-Equipment-Warning/dp/B001DRNCQI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512940024&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=A%2FC+Delco+15231201[/ame]

Jack

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
I looked at the bulbs and they are standard round shape. Turn signals on both sides flash the same speed. All lights are working.
Put the emergency flashers on and they blink slower.
I am guessing what was said is that the flasher could be the wrong one, unless the towing option causes the blinkers to use a different flasher unit in that case. When the wiring harness is hooked to a trailer, maybe the speed slows down.
All SSRs came with the towing option so that should not be the cause if you have all original incandescent bulbs. Sounds like a faulty flasher.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
If the signals on the SSR flash regular by itself and only flashes fast when the trailer is hooked up I would say:
1. could be extra draw with the extra bulbs added to the system.
2. Wiring on the trailer pigtail is different then the sequence on the SSR pigtail.
3. Ground problem on trailer.

I would isolate SSR first and then the trailer by itself with a spare battery. Also may be wrong flasher. Don't know it to be true anymore but in the old days there was two flashers. One for the turn signals and a separate one for the fourway flashers.

Need to take every thing one step at a time. Good luck.

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Has the trailer lights harness been uncovered and a coupling installed? If so remove the connector and see what happen.

Not having the trailer lights connected should not have any effect. I think you have the wrong or fault flasher installed. Change the flasher with an OEM flasher.
Jack
I think he would be better off changing to the Tridon Novita LM486 Flasher Module, because that works fine with stock bulbs and LEDs if he wants to upgrade in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Tasca Chevrolet

Tasca Chevrolet site list #15231201 as the "Turn Signal Flasher" for 2003 SSR.

https://www.tascaparts.com/ Part Number: 15231201 Browse more in Flashers
Description: Bravada/Envoy/Trailblazer. Aztek, Rendezvous. Rainier. SSR.

Jack

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I'm a little confused.

In post #3 it states that if the lights are a mixture of regular filament and LED that you need an LM487 flasher.

Post #10 says that a Tridon Novita LM486 flasher is correct for stock bulbs and LED's.

Which is the correct Tridon Novita flasher for a mix of stock & LED bulbs?

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Here's a thought I did not see addressed.
Was the wiring for the trailer hooked into the harness correctly. If it was tapped in to the light wires you would get the fast blink error. Old school method of hooking things up.
It should be hooked into the proper wires that are set up for trailer lights. New style hook up.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Incorrect Post #3

I was incorrect in post #3. It is the LM486 that is needed in an SSR if you have LED lights or LEDs mixed with regular bulb. I have corrected post #3. This is a post from Dictator about the correct flasher.

"LM486 Flasher/LED lights

LM486 IS the Module Flasher to use on ALL SSR's any year.

Model TRIDON LM486 by NOVITA'

I have updated Florida Suppliers List.

I contacted Novita and not only spoke with engineering but they sent the attached Email.

Dicktator,
We reviewed the issue in detail and since we are the OEM manufacturer of these modules, we found that a different OEM part number was listed for the SSR and the OEM design was different as well. We then quickly introduced the LM486 to correct the cruise control issue entirely.

The proper part that should be used in your SSR vehicle is the LM486 which is a different design than the LM487.

If I recall correctly, there was also an issue with a NAPA branded LM487 that was considered to be a Novita Lighting Control Module. Novita does not currently sell any flashers or Lighting Control Modules to NAPA so those products are made by an overseas manufacturer that does not supply OEM.

I hope that answers your questions and good luck with your seminars. Thanks.

Joseph LaCourt
Product Manager
Novita’ Techologies.

This should clear up the LM487/LM486 controversy.

Dicktator
President Florida Chapter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The proper part that should be used in your SSR vehicle is the LM486 which is a different design than the LM487. This makes sense because the pull in is totally different. Appreciate the clear up.

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
I'm a little confused.

In post #3 it states that if the lights are a mixture of regular filament and LED that you need an LM487 flasher.

Post #10 says that a Tridon Novita LM486 flasher is correct for stock bulbs and LED's.

Which is the correct Tridon Novita flasher for a mix of stock & LED bulbs?

Ken, Vancouver Island
The LM487 will work on SOME SSRs. The LM486 will work on ALL SSRs.

edit: Sorry, I jumped the gun instead of reading the rest of the thread.:blush-anim-cl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts