Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make a small 19" or 20" 6-lug wheel, very narrow like the so called "throw away spares." If so, who and how much? Does anybody make one in a 5-lug? Might take to machine shop and have redrilled.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,016 Posts
I was told years ago, NO. No bolt pattern with 6 lugs and won't clear the brakes and the SSR is so temperamental you have to have the same diameter tire circumference. Got my information from Mike at Simple Engineering. Might run it by him. Ended up with a 17 inch wheel and a used tire to make it all fit. The info I got was get a 17 inch wheel off a Trail Blazer, Envoy, Bravado and put a P235-65 R17 tire on it. Will be about the same size so can be used front or back, has the same bolt pattern, and will clear the brakes. Tried a test fit on mine and I had to take my red brake caliper covers off to get the wheel on and not drag when I would spin it so I am carrying a small wrench in with the spare to take the covers off in case I need to use the spare. Good luck.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
Does anybody make a small 19" or 20" 6-lug wheel, very narrow like the so called "throw away spares." If so, who and how much? Does anybody make one in a 5-lug? Might take to machine shop and have redrilled.
I looked long and hard for a suitable spare wheel for the SSR. My desire was for a 5" to 6" wide wheel that would accommodate the minimum tire to support the SSR needs. I actually spoke to every wheel and tire guy at SEMA over the period of a couple years. No joy. The closest I got was to have Centerline wheels sell me a blank wheel, drilled to SSR lug nut and center hole specs. Cost per wheel was prohibitive.

The desire for a "throw away" spare or a "donut" spare tire was also met with a severe dead end. You can get those spares in a size that will fit on one of the skinny Centerline wheels and you can get those spares on a wheel that will clear the brakes, but have the wrong bolt pattern. That's not the issue. The issue with that type of tire is that they do NOT have the load carrying capacity for the SSR. At 5,000 pounds and a GVW of 6050..... the SSR is too heavy to put one of the "throw away" or "donut" spares on.

This is why I have settled on recommending the Trailblazer 17x7" wheel with a 225/65-17 tire. It is as close as we can get to something that hides under the truck and will carry the load......

I would be happy to listen, if you can come up with a 28.4" to 28.7" tire that mounts on a 5" to 6" rim for a cost of less than $200 total.....

Regards,

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts