Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question ?
Are the small coolant hoses coming off the coolant tank just a standard off the shelf roll ?
I gave them a quick look , they don't appear to be anything special.
Thanks ,Dave

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
The steam vent line and the radiator clearing line are both 5/16” ID on the engine and radiator end. The surge tank end of both lines is 1/4” ID.

Regards,

Mike
Mike, here's what I found on the hoses that I just replaced. Though both hoses look similar externally, they have formed ends and differ greatly internally.

The first photo shows the radiator hose, on the left, where it attaches to the radiator - a 3/8" bolt fits that opening nicely. The hose on the right is from the steam port on the cylinder head and a 1/4" bolt fits it nicely. The second photo shows the tank end of both hoses and a 5/16" bolt fits both nicely.

Since we're talking about steam lines, I threw in a shot of my new setup. I'm running steam relief at all four corners of the heads now.

Also, I have your new heater hoses installed and they are AMAZING - real nice work Mike!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Does that mean they have GM part numbers, Mike?
There's definitely GM part #s for the hoses, but I don't know them as I built my own from #6 braided.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Mike, here's what I found on the hoses that I just replaced. Though both hoses look similar externally, they have formed ends and differ greatly internally.

The first photo shows the radiator hose, on the left, where it attaches to the radiator - a 3/8" bolt fits that opening nicely. The hose on the right is from the steam port on the cylinder head and a 1/4" bolt fits it nicely. The second photo shows the tank end of both hoses and a 5/16" bolt fits both nicely.

Since we're talking about steam lines, I threw in a shot of my new setup. I'm running steam relief at all four corners of the heads now.

Also, I have your new heater hoses installed and they are AMAZING - real nice work Mike!!

Wow, that is a beautiful engine.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Topspin WOW !! Just Beautiful !
So I'm going to answer my own question .
Gates 19178
Gates 18844
are the 2 small hoses that are listed for our SSR , I ordered them from Amazon for $27

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
So I'm going to answer my own question . Gates 19178 Gates 18844 are the 2 small hoses that are listed for our SSR said:
Am I correct in believing these numbers are only valid for 2005 & 2006 SSR's only ?

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,015 Posts
Am I correct in believing these numbers are only valid for 2005 & 2006 SSR's only ?
IDK... To me we’re talking about the straight hoses here, not the molded ones.

I know the ones Mike sells are from the firewall to just below the water pump, and one of which connects to the lower part of the surge tank. They work for all years.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Gates 19178
Gates 18844
are the 2 small hoses that are listed for our SSR , I ordered them from Amazon for $27
Are you sure?

Gates 19178 EPDM SID Coolant Hose.
0.63 ID (that's 5/8 of an inch)
Fits 2004-1999 Honda, Odyssey, V-6 3.5 L, Tee To Intake Manifold.

Gates 18844
No ID information.
No intended application.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not 100% sure yet . I ordered them and will post results when I get them in hand to match up .
For now it's what listed to fit , I'm a little shocked this hasn't come up before . Dave

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Wow, that is a beautiful engine.
Thanks, for the kind words! Here's the engine as of yesterday after the first fire-up. The second photo is a good shot of Mike's new heater hoses - they really clean up the valve cover area!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Gates 19178
Gates 18844
Thanks, Jersey!

I believe the correct part#s from Gates would be:

Reservoir to Cyl. Head - 28407
Reservoir to Radiator - 28409

From the description and lengths listed they seem correct to me. They, along with all the other hoses, are common to all model years. There is an exception - see post #16.

The hoses you listed are from the heater, at the firewall.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I just got to thinking that there has to be some additional plumbing on the 03/04 models, as they have coolant going to the throttle body - the 05/06 models do not. So, the hose from the reservoir to the engine may differ between the two. All other hoses should be the same.

Went back to the Gates site and entered 04 SSR and there is a different part# for the reservoir to t. body hose. It's 18623 for the 03/04. For the 05/06 it's 28407 going from the reservoir to the cylinder head. 28409 is listed for both applications going from the reservoir to the radiator

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
I replaced the steam hoses with off the shelf 1/4" ID hose stock from NAPA. A little bit of silicone grease and the end of a pair of needle nose pliers to expand the engine and rad ends, hose clamps, and all is good so far. I needed a bit more length to change the hose routing to the aluminum surge tank. The stock ones were 12 years old.

First photo shows Mike's new heater hoses and aluminum tanks. Nice to be able to see and detail the billet valve cover.

Second photo is before the new tanks and hoses.

Attachments

Reactions: DSRUPTR

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Thanks, for the kind words! Here's the engine as of yesterday after the first fire-up. The second photo is a good shot of Mike's new heater hoses - they really clean up the valve cover area!

Damn, that's a purty engine. Love the aftermarket coil packs. Mine are mounted on a billet bracket which in turn is mounted low on the valve covers. They are really tightly bunched, and not enough space for the MSD coils to fit.

I really like the twin snorkel air intake. I found a nice aluminum setup, but Joe convinced me I was getting cooler air to the supercharger with the stock setup with the Magnuson rear housing.

Fascinating to see how two modified engines can look so different. Looks like you're using the same Corvette throttle body.

All my modifications are external. I don't have the knowledge to start messing with the internal stuff. You and Jerry set the bar pretty high.:thumbs

Reactions: DrDJ

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Gates parts #.

Gates #28407 is standard 1/4" heater hose. You need 19 inches for an '05, more for an '04. The engine/head connection is 5/16", will be 1/16" too small at the engine connection.

Gates #28409 is standard 5/16" heater hose. Will be 1/16" to large on the reservoir end. Needed length is 26".

Jack

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Gm #15106779

GM#15106779 (the 23" long hose from the surge tank to the radiator) is available (they have 3) from Vintage Parts for $63.09 plus $9.00 for total of $72.09.

GM#15286395 (the hose from the surge tank to the head on an '05) is discontinued and not available.

Jack

1 - 20 of 35 Posts