Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the SSR forum and thinking of buying an SSR in the near future. Is the SSR built to California Smog laws? Thanks in advance.. avnomad

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any new car sold by a dealer here in California has to meet our smog laws, so yes, SSRs are compliant with California EPA regulations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Caution:
You cannot register a new vehicle in CA unless the factory has performed the required certification. Most new vehicles meet the CA requirements for emmisions, but the DMV only recognizes certifications from the manufacture. Exceptions are; used vehicles with more than approximately 7000 miles on the odometer. It would be an expensive lesson to return a new vehicle and purchase one with the required documentation. You may order a new vehicle from any Chevrolet dealer and have it delivered to a dealer in CA as long as that CA Chevy dealer is willing to deliver it to you for a "drop-off fee" also known as a "courtesy delivery". That CA dealer will then take care of the taxes, DMV fee (license plate) and submit the required SMOG certificate. He will give you a temporary registration and months later, you will receive your plates and registration. It would be extemely rare for a dealer located outside of CA to order a vehicle with the CA certifications even though there is no extra cost on the order or window sticker. Please investigate before you lay out a large chunk of change. Good luck and have FUNN with your new toy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot, that really answered my question about buying out of state and bringing it into Calif. Did I see you tooling around the grounds at Pomona Super Chevy in that Funn 4 2 red SSR?

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
From what i understand when i was in one of MANY smog training classes here in California all of the major car manufacturers install California legal smog on all there cars that are built to stay in the United States. In the past few years of doing smog test i HAVEN'T seen any cars that had Federal certification that weren't California legal also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
avnomad- Yes I was at Pomona, Sat. with the 65 SS396 and Sun. with the SSR. It sure was hot- both days over 100 degrees. The people running "Super Chevy" are not the most congenial hosts. After paying over $70.00 to park the car/truck they kept threatening me that they were going to tow my vehicles away because I did not want to park with the seven "FOR SALE" cars at the far end of the lot. I parked in an open space away from the cars being judged.

QWKSSR- Your right about the installed equipment meeting the CA regulations. However; when the new vehicle leaves the assembly line it is sent to the emissions calibration area to be "fine tuned" and "certified" clean for various delivery areas, such as CA, Houston, Chicagoland, N.Y.N.Y. and other areas requiring "certification" that the vehicle meets certain criteria. This documentation is more strict here in CA than most everywhere else. It is almost impossible to defeat their requirements for a license.

wildcat66- Some people refer to this "soot" as "road grime". I get it on all my vehicles. Just wash it off and don't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts