Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time of year. I'm wondering if I should get snow tires and more heavy duty rims to get thru this north-eastern winter.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
dougnc said:
Well, it's that time of year. I'm wondering if I should get snow tires and more heavy duty rims to get thru this north-eastern winter.

Any recommendations?
As posted in other threads, these tires were designed to have some snow traction. And again the problem with new rims and tires are bolt patterns and sizes....

I drove this morning with 2-3 inches of snow on the road...no problems and the only tire slippage was when I gunned it to see how much I can gun it before the tires slip. (So you can't jump on it and keep the tires from spinning in the snow :lol , but with the T/C I had no problem getting up to speed faster than everyone else....except the cop, I let him pass me :) )

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,196 Posts
Simple, but Ugly

Please excuse my simplistic approach.... Seems pretty clear from here in Phoenix.

Trailblazer chassis normally has 16" and 17" rims. That size option should clear the brake calipers on the SSR.

Find a suitable rim that looks OK to put on your truck in a size that fits over the calipers.

Find a snow tire that meets the height requirement (29.2") and fits the rim you have chosen.....

Good Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW_FCTR said:
As posted in other threads, these tires were designed to have some snow traction. And again the problem with new rims and tires are bolt patterns and sizes....

I drove this morning with 2-3 inches of snow on the road...no problems and the only tire slippage was when I gunned it to see how much I can gun it before the tires slip. (So you can't jump on it and keep the tires from spinning in the snow :lol , but with the T/C I had no problem getting up to speed faster than everyone else....except the cop, I let him pass me :) )
So, you've driven a New Jersey winter in these tires? They seem awfully flat to me.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
dougnc said:
So, you've driven a New Jersey winter in these tires? They seem awfully flat to me.

I've actually driven in 2 Jersey winters with these tires...I was very concerned the first winter...thought I'd be stuck in a ditch somewhere, but the SSR drove much better than my Z28 (as you would expect). So if you're used to driving a rear wheel drive sports car in the snow, this will be much easier. If you drive a 4 wheel drive with at 3 ft lift kit and chained tires, you might feel differently.

Of course if you have a 2005, you have slightly more power than me :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW_FCTR said:
I've actually driven in 2 Jersey winters with these tires...I was very concerned the first winter...thought I'd be stuck in a ditch somewhere, but the SSR drove much better than my Z28 (as you would expect). So if you're used to driving a rear wheel drive sports car in the snow, this will be much easier. If you drive a 4 wheel drive with at 3 ft lift kit and chained tires, you might feel differently.

Of course if you have a 2005, you have slightly more power than me :)
That's what I want! A lift kit with monster tires!

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/...ter trailblazer&OVKEY=lift kit&OVMTC=advanced

BTW, I'm used to driving a Z3 beamer. So I guess this has to be better!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should try finding tyres over in UK

Looks like the SSR wheels are a peculiar size only sold in America anyway.

I have managed to source rear 'winter tyres'from Continental over here in UK for standard SSR rims - they laughed when I mentioned the front size though.

Winter tyres arent all about tread though - although there is good enough tread for medium dry snow on the standard tyres you need to remember that standard grade tyres are only good for about 7 degrees Celsius (about 45 F) - winter tyres have about a 20 ft stopping advantage on a dry cold road and about 35ft on icy roads on the same vehicle??

Having spent a few winters in Norway and Sweden (North) in a Pontiac Firebird I learnt alot about tyres - mostly that big metal spikes win hands down!!

Have a safe one anyway.

Robin

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
English Gent said:
Looks like the SSR wheels are a peculiar size only sold in America anyway.

I have managed to source rear 'winter tyres'from Continental over here in UK for standard SSR rims - they laughed when I mentioned the front size though.

Winter tyres arent all about tread though - although there is good enough tread for medium dry snow on the standard tyres you need to remember that standard grade tyres are only good for about 7 degrees Celsius (about 45 F) - winter tyres have about a 20 ft stopping advantage on a dry cold road and about 35ft on icy roads on the same vehicle??

Having spent a few winters in Norway and Sweden (North) in a Pontiac Firebird I learnt alot about tyres - mostly that big metal spikes win hands down!!

Have a safe one anyway.

Robin
You're driving this big truck on those little bitty English roads?

I bet it stacks up nicely against one of those Triumph Sedans or minis!

:lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alter Ego

Just bought a 2006 Jeep Rubicon locking 411 gears front and back soooooooooooooooooo much for the Chicago winter

·
Registered
56 Posts
dougnc said:
You're driving this big truck on those little bitty English roads?

I bet it stacks up nicely against one of those Triumph Sedans or minis!

:lol
Very good - even made me laugh!

Though these days we tend to go in for Range Rovers, Jaguars, TVR and such like.
The SSR turns heads even better over here - though you are right - some roads are a little narrow.
And the weather is always a problem - here we dont have seasons as such. Just weather - which is a mix of all four seasons on a weekly basis!

I envy you guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts