Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I am in the South Florida Boca Raton area. Yes...I need a Smokin' Asphalt repaint. Burned clear coat, couple of blisters...it's just time for paint. Sticking with original color and not afraid of spending some money for a good job.

Thanks in advance for any experiences or recommendations!

SR

134 Posts
Try flames or some type of graphics to cover the
spot.

When my R got stolen...the guys scratched in their mexican
lettering all over the hood. I managed to cover it with flames.

OH.....if your going to use a buffer....dont go above
100 rpm or less.

Frank...

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Paint & Piston, Dale and he’s in Ft Myers. Did OLDxR repaint and old school flame job. In 2009 the 1955 Chevy he painted took best in school at the Chevy Nationals, last year he was in top 25. Reasonable as well.

Dane

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I was hoping for something closer to Palm Beach Ft. Lauderdale Miami area but I could trailer a scooter to Lakeland or Ft. Myers. I know I would have a place to leave a trailer in Winter Haven

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paint & Piston, Dale and he’s in Ft Myers. Did OLDxR repaint and old school flame job. In 2009 the 1955 Chevy he painted took best in school at the Chevy Nationals, last year he was in top 25. Reasonable as well.

Dane
Found some of your photos. While old school isn't my style that came out really slick! I have the same "spear" bar. I kept the satin insert and used someone's sticker kit for the letters. I was going to do OEM Smokin' Asphalt but now you have me thinking ghost flames. We all have our favorit colors and for me a six speed SSR should be SA with dark tint. I have also painted the rear bowtie SA. I just couldn't stand how cheesy the OEM color was on an R

I am assuming it has held up well so far. It's a great looking ride!:black:

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
ScooterRaton..thank you for the kind words. I agree with you on the taste in colors and different designs for their R and some get a bit carried away. My paint was done in 2013 and has done very well. Seeing it in person makes a big difference as well, it really pops. Paint and Piston in Ft Myers has been creating great paint schemes on some really nice rides. The first time I stopped in his shop he has a ‘56 ford panel rippled with bondo and when he finished the body and paint it was smooth as glass. I’m looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Dane

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check with Eric aka MPD he will know some one I am sure.

He is in Palm Beach, Fl

MPD motorsports performance design – About us

Dicktator

Thanks for the suggestion. I have called and emailed several times with no response. I am also interested in some of their parts however I have not received a response. I hope all is well with Eric. I'm still looking for a shop

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Consider going with Jet Black instead. I got tired of the different colors of smoking asphalt.

Jack

Reactions: DrDJ

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
For what it's worth, previous owner changed over to Jet Black (or variation there of, just not smokin asphalt). With four or five clear coats on top, and a couple of torque applications - always looks brand new, no visible scratches, can see all the way to the moon when you look in the hood (well almost)...I agree with his assessment that smokin asphalt always looks like it has a dirty brown tint which prevents really cool shine that only true black can give...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric passed away earlier this year.
My apology for not being up to date. Condolences and many blessings to all family and friends including the SSR community.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I'm still looking for a shop. I'll talk colors and fun stuff once I know who is a good painter in this area. I'm not looking to meet the Earl of Scheib, I don't mind paying for good work, if they do good work then they know much more about colors than I do. That's part of what you pay for!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts