Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I sold my SSR ??? to my brother. I'm in Chicago, he is in San Francisco, California. I've never shipped a car. Any suggestion is appreciated. How much should I expect to pay? The buyer usually pays, right?

It broke my heart selling it but it's going to family.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
Hi, I sold my SSR ??? to my brother. I'm in Chicago, he is in San Francisco, California. I've never shipped a car. Any suggestion is appreciated. How much should I expect to pay? The buyer usually pays, right?

It broke my heart selling it but it's going to family.
I’ve shipped using Reliable Carriers. Covered, pricey, but was very satisfied. Pickup and delivery was on time.
I shipped a spare engine as well, so it was a little more than just a car, and cost was around $1500 from San Diego to Houston.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts
I’ve shipped using Reliable Carriers. Covered, pricey, but was very satisfied. Pickup and delivery was on time.
I shipped a spare engine as well, so it was a little more than just a car, and cost was around $1500 from San Diego to Houston.

- Robert
:silver:
I recently sold mine and also went with Reliable. I have used other transports but there is no comparison. Reliable picked it up when they said they would, dropped it off just days later when they said they would, and they used a covered transporter with oil catch flooring so you don't get junk from above. Yes, they are probably one of the most expensive out there but they do live up to their name. If I had the money I would not hesitate to use them again.

Just a note of caution, 99.9 percent of the "transport" companies you see on the internet are brokers. Even if they show pictures of trucks with their name on them on a website, many are still a broker and don't even own a truck. Some are legit and try hard to keep people happy and some are just doing it for the money while they sit around the house on their computer with nothing else to do. They are middle men, the truckers might or might no pick up your car or drop off when they say. Worse, they usually take the cars off and on several times during the transport. Some are good and some are bad, don't trust all you read on the web either, trust only people you know that have experience with that company. The web is full of lies and fake reviews, especially in the transportation area.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
I recently sold mine and also went with Reliable. I have used other transports but there is no comparison. Reliable picked it up when they said they would, dropped it off just days later when they said they would, and they used a covered transporter with oil catch flooring so you don't get junk from above. Yes, they are probably one of the most expensive out there but they do live up to their name. If I had the money I would not hesitate to use them again.

Just a note of caution, 99.9 percent of the "transport" companies you see on the internet are brokers. Even if they show pictures of trucks with their name on them on a website, many are still a broker and don't even own a truck. Some are legit and try hard to keep people happy and some are just doing it for the money while they sit around the house on their computer with nothing else to do. They are middle men, the truckers might or might no pick up your car or drop off when they say. Worse, they usually take the cars off and on several times during the transport. Some are good and some are bad, don't trust all you read on the web either, trust only people you know that have experience with that company. The web is full of lies and fake reviews, especially in the transportation area.
Totally agree, well said. I found the same issues when I was researching, but neglected the details when I was replying. I’d use Reliable again. Other guys here have done well with other carriers. I’m sure they’ll be replying soon enough. My suggestion is do your research, you’ll find information by searching this site as well.
-Robert

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I used Passport for 4 SSRs, and had no problem with them. One was Sig 12 from Chicago to the US border in central Washington. That trip was about $2000 US, but that was several years ago.

Best to get a couple of estimates from the major carriers, and yes, the buyer generally pays the bill on delivery.

You can also check with U-ship, but that could be a bit of a gong show. The carriers bid for the job, and they sometimes get themselves in a situation where they are not making any money, and end up doing a crappy job.

Reliable and Horseless Carriage do a lot of the auction shipping, but will likely be pricier than Passport.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,796 Posts
Think about shipping by train!?

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Think about shipping by train!?
Not exactly door to door service. Internet search didn't pull up any valid information regarding shipping a private vehicle by rail, so couldn't find out how the vehicles need to get to the rail system, or how you retrieve them at the destination terminal.

Can you provide more background on how this would work?

Manufaturers ship new vehicles by rail, but they are retrieved by portable parking lots at the destination terminal, and delivered to the dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
14,052 Posts
Do not send the Title with the SSR - send it separately via FedEx or something
Personally, I think #2 set of keys should also be sent separately, with the Title
You do not want some trucker that you don't know to have your vehicle, all the keys and the Title in one package

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
I have shipped many cars and motorcycles. Reliable is #1 for service and used by classic car shippers. I shipped a 65 Triumph TR4 that I restored and the driver team put on white gloves and shoe covers befor touching the car! They are also endorsed and recommended by Hagerty.
I have used other services with mixed results. i have also used UShip several times in the past. UShip sets up bidding for your shipment by independent carriers, you can specify open or enclosed carriers. However now the brokers have infiltrated UShip and 90% of the bids will come from them so be careful.
As previously posted, it's hard to believe shipper reviews online so I always checked them out on BBB. Very few have good BBB ratings.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
Another thought, door to door shipping is expensive. Shipping between major cities from to a dealer or shipping terminal is much cheaper and quicker. You can arrange to drop off at a Terminal in Chicago and watch the loading and have it shipped to a terminal or dealer near your brother for pick up. It's a bit more work to arrange but can save 20-40% over door to door and usually a full trailer point to point with no stops so much quicker. Door to door will make several stops to load/unload along the way and you vehicle may get moved on and off the trailer several times.

Reactions: mikebike

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You people are awesome. I will consider all suggestions and update. I'm the mean time if you come up with something else, please share. Thanks again peeps.

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
259 Posts
I bought my SSR on eBay and I thought that was going to be the nerve racking part-boy was I wrong! The eBay process was seamless as I purchased from a reliable seller that I did extensive research on. Once I paid for the R and the check cleared, it was time to ship the car from PA to FL. What a fiasco! I was naive about car shipping assuming that the carriers that you see online were the actual companies shipping your vehicle. Wrong. Like it was said before-90 to 95% of the shipping companies that you are getting bids from are brokers and they put you out there to any and everyone driving a car carrier. In my case, my quote was $740. 3 days later I get notified that i should expect pickup within 48 hours. No exaggeration here-10 minutes after the confirmation, I get a call from a guy saying that he’s in PA ready to get the SSR. I had to scramble to get in touch with my seller and get the car delivered to the carrier.
After the R is loaded, my seller send me pictures of the SSR being driven away. It was on the back of a 3 car trailer with 2 crashed cars in front of it. Made me sick to my stomach. So I start researching the actual car carrier assigned to my car and log and behold, they have an “F” BBB rating. I just sent a $24k car on the back of a junk car carrier and I have no idea if I’ll ever see it. It ended up being hauled to NJ to be transferred to a 9 car carrier coming from DE. That was on a Tuesday. By Sunday, still no car and on Monday, after a week of just absolutely being on edge, I pleaded with the driver to let me come and get the car myself-30 miles away. He agreed and I got myself up there to claim my new SSR.
Take my advice. If you can, go get the car yourself, and if you can’t, pay the extra $$ for a real carrier, not a broker. The company that I used pocketed $280 for his service and they other $460 went to the driver. It’s a crap shoot. And like they say, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for hearing me out on this one. I have been wanting to vent this for a while. I’m happy to report that my SSR arrived filthy, but no worse for the wear. I was lucky. God is good ?:silver:
Brian

Attachments

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,332 Posts
Downright SCARY, Bee75 . . .

"War Stories" such as yours are exactly why I decided to pick up The Doophus and drive him home after the adoption way back in July of 2005.

The 1600 mile, four day drive home was a great "get acquainted trip" that rewarded me with memories I will never forget. Not to mention, considerably less expensive than having it shipped.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts