Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We sold our 2006 3SS black SSR tonight. We had not even planed on selling it yet. I was at Costco last Wed and waited for a nice newer Z71 Chev pick up to park and for the driver to get out. The driver was a lady in her mid 50's got out and walked to the rear of her truck. I pulled in and parked putting up my wind shield shade and farted around like most 60 plus old guys do. I got out and this lady is standing at the rear of my SSR and smiles and says I would like to talk to you about you truck. It was not the usual what the hell is that thing. I said sure, she said my husband has been looking for a black SSR for years. She went on about how everything was blacked out and how nice it looked. Then she said would you be willing to sell it and I said sure for the right price. I gave her my number and went on and did my shopping.
Well days pass and I forgot about her and went out Tuesday morning and washed and polished the R. I noticed the wear bars on my rear Nexens were finally down and called the local tire shop and they had them in stock and made an appointment for the afternoon. Well just as soon as I hung up guess who calls. The women wanted to bring here husband out that evening to look at the truck. I told her we have a standing dinner date every Tuesday night with our neighbors who are 80 years old. So Wednesday night was agreed on. Wednesday morning I'm out working on the blend door fix suggested by ED in Florida which started clicking last Thursday . I looked up after almost standing on my head for 10 minutes and there is this lady and her husband standing at the back of the R. They introduce themselves and I explained what I was doing. They said can you finish it today and I said in a few hours. The lady explained her husband was so excited he took off from work to look at the truck and said the were sorry they didn't call.
I started the truck for him and operated the roof so his wife could see it as a convertible. They said they would return with a cashiers check at 6:00 PM after her husband got off work as a diesel mechanic. Well I finished up and also changed the oil as it was due in 500 miles and I already had the filter and oil in stock as every serious owner does.
Well guess what they're knocking at the front door at 5:00 pm and I said lets go for a test drive and he said I can tell by the way your garage looks and the way the truck looks I don't need to. They came in filled out all the transfer paper work handed me the cashier check and I backed out the truck and gave a run down on the roof operating the window indexing. I leaned in and gave him a hand shake and he had the biggest **** eating grin I have ever seen. PS the reason they didn't call earlier was his wife had miss placed the phone number and he dumped out the trash bin at work and she spent a whole day digging thru the trash and found the number. I was very sad to see DSRUPTR go, but I guess things just lined up in the universe. I want to thank everyone on this site like TOPSPIN, Dicktater, ED in Florida, Mike in AZ and everyone else that makes this a great group. Keep the grin going.:liebe011:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Fabulous story. It really makes me smile to see that you were able to pass along the happiness to a new and enthusiastic owner.

If you read the little sticker on the driver’s door jam, you may get that same feeling that I have........ I think we are just custodians of the SSR in our driveway. They were built with care, personal commitment and pride.... we carry that forward and then pass it along.

Long may you run......

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,064 Posts
Did you sign them up for the FORUM? Call them and recommend it. You will now be looking for another one soon. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Bottom line DSRUTER ... he wanted it more than you did !!! CONGRATULATIONS, that's what happens when you treat one like a "beauty queen" Perhaps there's another one down the road for you. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: Had a friend here in Murfreesboro that had the World's largest Gulf Oil memorabelia collection in a reconstructed Gulf Oil Service Station (on his estate in the Walter Hill community) and 53 Corvette (#138) in one bay ... talked to him last Monday, said a guy came by and wanted it more than he did so he sold him everything including the Vette (for several million). Now modernizing a 57 Chevy to have fun in. DSRUTER, please forgive me for "hijacking" your story, but just had to tell you this since it was just last Monday when I called him to talk to him. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Well it is always sad to hear of one of our R's leaving the family but hopefully we will stay in contact and maybe they will become new members of the family. Best of luck to you.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,583 Posts
Hmmmmmm, DSRUPTR . . . interesting story.

Whatcha wanna bet it won't be long before you realize you have made a HUGE MISTAKE and begin searching for another SSR?

Frequently, I hear similar stories whenever someone makes me an offer on The Bummer (1986 Jeep CJ-7) and they are trying to replace their "long gone" Jeep.

! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,465 Posts
Great story but I know you are going to miss that Perma-Grin! I was once SSR-LESS but will never be again! Hope you stay in the family!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Told them all about this site and great people and also handed them a Dinnerman welcome card and thumb drive.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Great story!

Hello Fanatics: That was a fun story to read, for sure! When Mike mentioned the LLC sticker on the door, it reminded me of when Mike got the remainder of the stickers from the plant and gave them to us to place on our trucks door jam, Plus a wall plaque version to place in a frame, man that was back in 2006 when they closed the factory down for good, of our beautiful and unique, one off Super Sport Roadster pickup trucks! Just a small reminder how many wonderful things Mike Moro,AKA Simple Engineering has done for all of us ssr custodians over the years and todate! Thanks Mike, and thanks to the good fanatic who just sold his disrupter SSR, great custodian and will always be a SSR fanatic at heart! :)
Permagrins forever! Hal :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Nice story
At one time I think yours had an FPR badge on it.
If it is still in place did you think to mention it wasn't an FPR?
Might be better to cover it sooner than later as it seems like today the guy wouldn't care

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cash

Not everyone cares about having a collectable vehicle with the exact equipment that came off the show room floor. I bought the truck as a daily driver 6 years ago with 72,000 miles to have fun and not to be nit picked about some badge that was on the vehicle when I bought it. I wrote the story because I thought other folks would enjoy it. Then you showed up with your dribble. The new owner bought the truck for the same reasons as I did. I did not advertise this truck for sale as a final production vehicle and never claimed it was. So with that rant I want to say, I enjoyed meeting and talking with all the other SSR owners out there over the year Grin on.:bwekk:

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Not everyone cares about having a collectable vehicle with the exact equipment that came off the showroom floor. I bought the truck as a daily driver 6 years ago with 72,000 miles to have fun and not to be nit picked about some badge that was on the vehicle when I bought it. I wrote the story because I thought other folks would enjoy it. Then you showed up with your dribble. The new owner bought the truck for the same reasons as I did. I did not advertise this truck for sale as a final production vehicle and never claimed it was. So with that rant I want to say, I enjoyed meeting and talking with all the other SSR owners out there over the year Grin on.:bwekk:
We, myself included, do enjoy the story, and I wasn't nitpicking - just thought it might be something you wanted to cover your butt on, but that is up to you.
It was just friendly advice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts