Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, and I am sure others would be interested in knowing how much people are getting for their SSR's either sold or traded in. NOT your asking price but how much did you sell/trade for. List your year and mileage. Obviously options may be an issue to the private buyer, but I bet it makes no difference to the dealer when trading.

This should be interesting information for all, as the 05's start coming out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be first-

Agreed upon trade in value for my 03 Yellow SSR with 7500 miles by Hummer dealer delivering my Yellow H2-SUT any day now: $35,000 (original sticker $44,345.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Market Review

There is no question that the market for the first generation SSr continues to "tank" and tank hard in the past 2 months.

New SSr's that are selling are well equiped with MSRP's north of $46k in most instance that transact for south of $40k before taxes. Dealers are finding ways to get the average consumer access to supplier and friends/family type pricing as well as passing on the $1,000 dealer money Chevrolet Division is offering not to mention taking a cash loss in some instances I am aware of. Most buyers are not differentiating between an 03 or an 04 when it comes to new as they are not buying to re-sell.

The used market is VERY uncertain with few offers in the wholesale market or on eBay. This past week I spoke with dealers in Minneapolis/St Paul, Chicago and Atlanta about trading an '04 SSr for a C6. Each indicated they really did not want to offer us as we would be offended.... one pointed to 5 new SSr trucks on his lot and indicated that he thought he would likely end up having to sell them in September/October for " south of $37k" as unregistered/noncurrent/used priced stock and take a $3-4k hit on each one as they were not selling at $40k (he told me that he lost $5k plus disposing of his last 3 C5's)... His advice to me was get rid of it and get rid of it fast.... if I got a "bid" at anywhere over $33k take it...he felt that used values will be less than $30k for the first generation trucks in good shape by October.... (logic: 1-2 model years old with 180 days or more of new inventory and an improved 05 now in production).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sale/Trade SSR's

Think most SSR owners have no plans to unload their SSR's in the near future? Our investment in this truck is long term. Buy any new vehicle and try to get your money out of it a year later and you'll loose more than $10,000 easy. SSR's will be a collectable in five years. Those that aren't happy with their purchase missed the real purpose of this unusual truck. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
A keeper

I agree. I plan on keeping mine until I can't get in or out of it. Hopefully that will be a long time.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Fred: Amen to that Bro! I am keeping mine forever. The new one would be nice but realisitically, I have more power than I will ever need right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ssr Re-sale Value

I really can't get over this! Why would anyone think that an American made production vehicle would not depreciate after a year? Look at the first year Z06 Corvettes when year 2 came out with the 405 HP engine, or the ZR-1's. See what the 'trade-in' is for a Viper or Prowler vs asking prices in Hemmings.

If you want an investment go talk with Charles Schwab. The problem there is that it won't carry you to the grocery store or occasional car show, nor will the other guy at the stop light give you the 'thumbs up'.

Buy your dream car wisely, drive it, take care of it, and enjoy the ride. When the next 'have to have' thing comes along, sell it and make someone elses dream come true, and move on. If you leave it parked in the garage, it likely will be worth a couple dollars more in a few years than one driven regularly and cared for.... but then think of all the fun you will have missed.

Let's put it in perspective.... How much is that new computer that was last years 'latest thing' worth today? Aren't you glad you didn't keep it in a box?

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Right ON !

If you are just wanting to sell it to get into an 05 ... OK :) however, if not then you were in it for the wrong reasons. I would have missed a whole lot of fun and much much more if the money was just sitting in the bank.

Your coffin doesn't have saddle bags to carry your money...

Life is not a destination... it is a journey... so enjoy the ride!
:party

·
Registered
181 Posts
A Gearheads Words to Live By.

Here's one other saying that pertains to this discussion: Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shi#-----what a ride"! Then again, maybe this saying doesn't fit this thread. I'll post it anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
70 day

Toy Truck said:
I really can't get over this! Why would anyone think that an American made production vehicle would not depreciate after a year? Look at the first year Z06 Corvettes when year 2 came out with the 405 HP engine, or the ZR-1's. See what the 'trade-in' is for a Viper or Prowler vs asking prices in Hemmings.

If you want an investment go talk with Charles Schwab. The problem there is that it won't carry you to the grocery store or occasional car show, nor will the other guy at the stop light give you the 'thumbs up'.

Buy your dream car wisely, drive it, take care of it, and enjoy the ride. When the next 'have to have' thing comes along, sell it and make someone elses dream come true, and move on. If you leave it parked in the garage, it likely will be worth a couple dollars more in a few years than one driven regularly and cared for.... but then think of all the fun you will have missed.

Let's put it in perspective.... How much is that new computer that was last years 'latest thing' worth today? Aren't you glad you didn't keep it in a box?
Agree absolutely. These marvels are to be enjoyed and should not be confused with anything related to "an investment".... unless, of course, that is what it takes to get it past your significant other and into your garage...

Given they are continuing to make 70 a day, 5 days a week, and there is NO shortage it seems logical that taking care of it while you enjoy it is the receipe for real success with the SSr... does not mean you should not 'buy well'...

:party

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gees- Sorry for starting the thread!

Just thought it would be informative to have a spot to see how much SSR's are actually being sold/traded for. No need to be reamed about it. Mine is only being traded so to have a future one with new updates-period. I have owned every new "retro" including Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, Beetle, T-Bird and SSR and NO, non of them were investments as I have lost a lot of money on them and was it worth it- YES!

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Changed your mind?

realprowlerfan said:
Agreed upon trade in value for my 03 Yellow SSR with 7500 miles by Hummer dealer delivering my Yellow H2-SUT any day now: $35,000 (original sticker $44,345.
HI Scott "realprowerfan"

I see you must have changed your mind? ... because you had two posts stating you were trading in your SSR for a H2 SUT in one above in this thread and one in an eariler thread "General Moters, asleep at the wheel!"

quote:
......"I finalized a deal today trading my SSR next month for an H2 SUT and am loosing over $10,000 for 7000 miles of fun with my SSR. An awful expensive price to pay, but think this will be the last time I play the "comeback and buy another" game with the car Mfgs. I think the SSR is a perfect example of why this build plan SHOULD NOT BE DONE AGAIN. Loads of unsold 04 trucks, with most buyers awaiting the "improved" model... "

Hey its ok :) however, you sure sounded like you were very upset to us here and that you would "never" buy another one again?

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Impression

Marc
I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that got that impression too over the weekend.
Doug :seeya

·
Registered
181 Posts
USA Today Article About Retention Value of Autos.

Yesterday's (Thurs., Aug.26) USA Today had an article in the Money section about which vehicles retained their value the best. "Eurpoean and Japanese cars and trucks likely will retain the most value over the next 5 yrs. according to Kelley Blue Book". Specifically: the BMW 5 series, Mini-Cooper, Acura TL, Infinity G35 coupe, Mazda RX8, MB CLK 320 Cabriolet, Nissan 350Z, Volvo XC90, Lexus Gx 470, and the Porshe Cayenne will retain the most value over the next 5 yrs. "The AVERAGE new vehicle is worth 30% of its purchase price in 5 yrs. according to Kelley Blue Book".
If the average SSR buyer paid $45,000 for their SSR that means it would be worth $13,500 in just 5 yrs. according to this report. I just can't see that happening. Time will tell of course but I can't imagine a vehicle as sharp and unique as the SSR selling for $13,500.
The worst vehicles as far as losing the most value in 5 yrs. were listed as: Pontiac Aztec, Chrysler Sebring sedan, Jaguar X-types, Mitsubishi Diamante, Mercury Sable, and Suzuki Viatra.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You are mistaken Marc

Marc NY said:
HI Scott "realprowerfan"

I see you must have changed your mind? ... because you had two posts stating you were trading in your SSR for a H2 SUT in one above in this thread and one in an eariler thread "General Moters, asleep at the wheel!"

quote:
......"I finalized a deal today trading my SSR next month for an H2 SUT and am loosing over $10,000 for 7000 miles of fun with my SSR. An awful expensive price to pay, but think this will be the last time I play the "comeback and buy another" game with the car Mfgs. I think the SSR is a perfect example of why this build plan SHOULD NOT BE DONE AGAIN. Loads of unsold 04 trucks, with most buyers awaiting the "improved" model... "

Hey its ok :) however, you sure sounded like you were very upset to us here and that you would "never" buy another one again?
I love the SSR and as a friend of mine put it,"its the Prowler done right". I ALWAYS did have intentions of getting an 05 SSR with bigger motor,(in fact speced one out and dealer will place order when he is allowed)for delivery in 05, but don't need it sitting unused, depreciating over the winter, so the new H2 SUT was ordered early July with intentions of selling SSR (not 1 phone call/ contact) or trading it in for the H2 SUT which will be used for year round use. The SSR ranks up there with Prowler and Tbird in my book and was glad to find out it won't just be a 3 year run per the GM people at Woodward.

·
Registered
705 Posts
you know, just print the price man. that's all the original post asked for. No need for all the bitching....

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amen Amen amen!!!!!!!!!!!

redssrloaded said:
you know, just print the price man. that's all the original post asked for. No need for all the bitching....
:) :reddevil :thumbs :flag

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Exactly

redssrloaded said:

All I wanted to do was have a simple thread showing actual sale prices of used SSR's. PERIOD :banghead Leave it up to those "regulars" to make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey I didn't chime in at all :nono
I would like to hear what any dealer gave someone for there trade :cry
BUT I would only think someone would want to get rid of there SSR for a
NEW SSR :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts