Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aqua Blur SSR Pit Crew
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While taking the tour today I had the opportunity to talk to one of senior guys about the fate of the SSR. Once the fact that the SSR wasn't performing up to what they had hoped for sales wise they came up with some ideas. They realized that the price was very high and that it wasn't being marketed right so they suggested a couple of ideas that obviously didn't fly. They proposed building a lesser cost vehicle that consisted of a "Removable" hardtop and return the smaller 5.3 litre engine to the truck. That combo would have drastically reduced the price to maybe 30k ish!!! I think he mentioned making the engine size optional was mentioned also. The SSR as it stands today would still have been available for those who wanted all the bells and whistles. It sounded like a sensible ideas to them but it obviously didn't take hold in upper management. They are very proud of the SSR and really wanted to keep it alive!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,382 Posts
Options

The above subject was discussed before on this Forum. Grant you most owners said they would have never considered the SSR if built any other way then in its present state!
Some other idea's: :eek
1. Hardtop model
2. Open truck bed
3. Bench seat
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
I think a manual fold down rag top would have been easy to retrofit to the SSr and be even less than a removable hard top. It might have even given the truck a more exotic look top up. There are a lot of things that could have been taken out to make it less expensive. Even the six from the Trailblazer would have worked. Mustang comes in 3 versions why not SSr?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I really don't think that any of those ideas, although initially they sound quite interesting, would sell many more SSR's. I'll bet I speak for most of us owners when I say that I would never have considered buying an SSR without the convertible hardtop, V-8 engine, and radical retro look. (I almost skipped it because of the anemic 5.3L, but I'm glad I bought it anyway! Freezer gave us a good explanation why they had to use the 5.3L.) To this point, I have no regrets, except I paid way too much. That's the price I paid to have one of the first ones in So Cal, but even that was worth the cost in the long run.:party
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I agree with Peaches, I also think it was the total package that sold us on these SSRs. These trucks simply are not designed to appeal to everybody on your block, there's us who love them and then there's those who have no idea what they even are ! ! ! !:agree
 

·
Aqua Blur SSR Pit Crew
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott - I realize that it was dicussed before on the forum. My point is that they are so passionate there at the craft centre that thye were trying right to the end to save the SSR. I would not have been intertested in the other options either, evidenced by me having 2 loaded SSR's. Being there for the tours and talking with the people personally who build and tried to save the SSR was really something!! JimO
Scott 0168 said:
The above subject was discussed before on this Forum. Grant you most owners said they would have never considered the SSR if built any other way then in its present state!
Some other idea's: :eek
1. Hardtop model
2. Open truck bed
3. Bench seat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I have been looking at the SSR since the first time it hit the pages of magazines. The only problem I had was that I was in high school or just starting college (no money). When the first ones came out, I went to the dealerships and looked and dreamed. If a cheaper version, like a non convertiable hard top, the bed cover removed, cloth seats, etc were available for a MSRP of about $30k I could have been able to buy one, I still would have gotten the biggest engine available thought.

On the plus side, I just graduated, got a decent job, the bottom fell out of the SSR and I just bought one with a MSRP of 50 grand and some change for about $35k. Since it was an 05, I got the 6 speed 6 liter, even better than the first ones. I hate to see the end of the SSR, but that is the only reason I could afford one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
bobd54321 said:
I have been looking at the SSR since the first time it hit the pages of magazines. The only problem I had was that I was in high school or just starting college (no money). When the first ones came out, I went to the dealerships and looked and dreamed. If a cheaper version, like a non convertiable hard top, the bed cover removed, cloth seats, etc were available for a MSRP of about $30k I could have been able to buy one, I still would have gotten the biggest engine available thought.

On the plus side, I just graduated, got a decent job, the bottom fell out of the SSR and I just bought one with a MSRP of 50 grand and some change for about $35k. Since it was an 05, I got the 6 speed 6 liter, even better than the first ones. I hate to see the end of the SSR, but that is the only reason I could afford one.
I can relate to you kind of....I too, fell in love with the SSR when it was on the show circuit. I could hardly wait until they came out. I was a disappointed when the initial pricing came out.....With a kid in college and two small ones at home, I could hardly justify to my family to spend 50 grand on a two seater, but when I ran across my baby used, I jumped on it. Sure, I would like to have the larger engine, but with my luck, I would have a pocket full of tickets to go with that extra horsepower. You can definitely get in trouble even with the 5.3.....and I could not be happier. If I ever want the extra horsepower, I can always add mods....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,382 Posts
n29we said:
Scott - I realize that it was dicussed before on the forum. My point is that they are so passionate there at the craft centre that thye were trying right to the end to save the SSR. I would not have been intertested in the other options either, evidenced by me having 2 loaded SSR's. Being there for the tours and talking with the people personally who build and tried to save the SSR was really something!! JimO
n29we

No, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed your post and the comment from the SSR employee very much. Im glad you asked them the question I was always curious about myself. That is, was there ever any thought given on how to market the SSR any differently? Now I guess we know the rest of the story, as they say.
:yesnod
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
I agree with Peaches and Bill Scott. If the SS/R was built anyway different than the way it came out, I would not have purchased one. The style, engine, and top sold me from day one.
I have a friend who has a rather large car and truck collection. He has two SS/R's and he has told me several times that he has more fun driving his SS/R than any of his other cars with a big smile on his face when he talks about his SS/R.
The head turning, the thumbs up, and all the questions about the SS/R tell me that I got the vech that I wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
They had a cheaper model SSR. The base price on a 1sa was only 43,000, which most dealerships probably would discount to 40,000. I never figured out why GM stuffed the channel with so many tricked out SSR's retailing for 50 grand. You're not going to move many 50 grand vehicles to the Chevy crowd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
beer100 said:
GM had nothing to do with it. The dealers decide what to load the vehicles with when they order them.
There you go. No matter what the dealers would have ordered something to maximise profits and not sales. The dealers already had a cheaper configuration and didn't take advantage of it.

The fact that anyone can make such a statement, saying in effect that GM has no control over the marketing and sales of it's product, gives a good insight into why GM is having such problems.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top