Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when I took the SSR out to an auction here in town. (wasn't going to auction it , just looking at a couple of 57 chevies that were part of the auction).

Started down the road and made it about a 1/4 mile when the tranny and engine lost power :eek , stepped on the peddal a little, but got no response, checked the DIC center and the traction activated sign came on, then the reduce speed sign. I pushed the traction control button to turn it off and slowed down to 15 mph then turned the traction control button back on. and away I went. :thumbs

This got me to thinking what could have caused this to happen? :confused Hhhmmmm :confused

Wasn't speeding or hammering on the tranny to go faster (was only at 35 mph) :angel . Eliminates the abuse theory.

Did some one tamper with it during the night? Not likely, cause it was in the shop last night.

Was it electronic confusion? :rolleyes: Possibly.

Wait a minute. I know. It was the fact that I had switched the tires back to stock last night.

The computer had learned the new tires traction and rpm for certain speeds and was assuming they were still on the truck. With the stock tires being slightly shorter by 1/2 of an inch, the computer calculated the the rear tires lost traction and were spinning faster than what the computer had learned them to be doing at that speed and rpm.

Problem solved.

I feel much better now. :lurk

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Feeling Better

I feel much better knowing we have you guys on board to let us know about these problems first hand. I'm not a mechanic but I sure have learned a lot being on this site. I can teach anyone about desktop computers but not about car computers. Thanks for sharing your experiences :thumbs I've made a mental note again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
another strange thing...

Last Friday the "service engine" icon came on "MellowYellow". I drove her on home and fixed a tall scotch & soda. I planned on taking her to the doctor this week...sigh! :mad

On Saturday, I drove to the local Sam's for the best price in gas. I got about a block and the "icon" went out and stayed out. I still don't know what she detected, but am glad she changed her mind. ;)

Perhaps it was the thought of going to the doctor...or perhaps she, like all women, can change her mind when she damn well wants! :lol

No "icon" is a good "icon"!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
MelloYello said:
Last Friday the "service engine" icon came on "MellowYellow". I drove her on home and fixed a tall scotch & soda. I planned on taking her to the doctor this week...sigh! :mad

On Saturday, I drove to the local Sam's for the best price in gas. I got about a block and the "icon" went out and stayed out. I still don't know what she detected, but am glad she changed her mind. ;)

Perhaps it was the thought of going to the doctor...or perhaps she, like all women, can change her mind when she damn well wants! :lol

No "icon" is a good "icon"!

I would have it checked just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I got the same message when my "former dealer" serviced my truck and yes, rotated my tires!!!! As soon as I steped on the gas at a mere five miles per hour, traction active came on. Pretty wild stuff. :jester

·
Registered
254 Posts
MelloYello, I had the same thing happen

the "service engine light" came on and I went to the manual. It said could be loose gas-cap or could be slightly different fuel. I filled up at my usual place, found the gas-cap to be loose, drove less than 20 miles and light went off. I don't know which caused the light to come on, but I suspect it was the loose cap. Did you find anything like that? :confused

·
Registered
220 Posts
gasoline experimentation

Yaller Dog said:
the "service engine light" came on and I went to the manual. It said could be loose gas-cap or could be slightly different fuel. I filled up at my usual place, found the gas-cap to be loose, drove less than 20 miles and light went off. I don't know which caused the light to come on, but I suspect it was the loose cap. Did you find anything like that? :confused
The cap was not loose...but I have experimented with the fuel.

Last weekend, in the great state of Oklahoma, I bought their less expensive regular 87 instead of the 93 I usually buy. The performance has not changed and the .20 to .30 per gallon is an issue. I think the light might have been to let me know that she has adjusted to the 87...and we are now friends again!!!

I read on this forum that the LS-2 can take regular 87 without any damage. The fact is that she does just fine on 87 and I for one am amazed. I have driven LS-1 cars for the past several years and they would have "puked-up" on regular 87. The computer must be able to adjust the engine and allow the power to continue.

:seeya :cool :) :thumbs :grouphug

W

·
0 Posts
That's really interesting!

Fuzzy-Thanks for sharing that information. I would never have guessed that it was the computer's logic that prompted that...like hotrodgirl said, I've learned a lot through the good folks on this site.

Now all I have to do is hope it made it into my long term memory banks! :lol

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts