Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a SONY XAV AX5000 AV receiver installed three months ago. This week the radio, gauges, window controls andtrunk control wenot out while I was driving my 2006 SSR. I took the SSR to a local garage that I have used for many years. They saw the issue when I dropped off the SSR. The next morning when they went to diagnosis the problem, it was gone and everything was working. The garage started the error was a buss overload. When the problem occurred the error on the dashboard flashed "Unknown Driver". Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas how to resolve this issue? Everything is working now, but will it return?

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I doubt the data bus was overloaded.
Most likely a module or wire is shorting the bus to ground.
I would check splice pack comb to be sure it is not loose.
Did they check for any history codes with an enhanced scanner performing a golbal system scan. A feature that will check for codes in ALL modules, not just OBD II supported modules? The code might let you know if all modules were down or just one not reporting a good state of health.

EDIT
Here a recent post regarding the splice pack.

There is also another powerpoint regarding a similar symptom on the DIY One drive provided by Dicktator. But realize that car would NOT run.
Thats why i suspect one module, the radio IS one of over 10 modules (can't recall exact number) on the class 2 data bus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the responses. Your technical advice is well beyond my capabilities and the garage I used. Is a Chevrolet dealer the best service to diagnose the potential causes you have suggested?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,702 Posts
I have two possibilities for you to add to the list of suspects........

1) The 125 amp fuse on the engine compartment fuse box has an internal failure that is not making positive connection all the time. Although not likely, this is the single feed point for the fuse box in the cabin that feeds everything you listed. This would not give you the “unknown driver” though.
2) One of the battery cables has a poor connection to the battery - - or - - the ground end of the negative battery cable is not making a good connection. These problems will cause the digital bus to get “confused” and lock up one (or more) of the components and give you all the symptoms you described. I have personally witnessed exactly this issue!!!!
3) The person that installed the radio has created an intermittent short of the digital bus to the original radio connector. This would also give you the same symptoms, including the “unknown driver”.

Good luck in your hunt. It’s hard to find an intermittent issue.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radio installer ran a USB cable to the center console. Are there any connections in that area he might have impacted?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,702 Posts
The radio installer ran a USB cable to the center console. Are there any connections in that area he might have impacted?
There is a data bus wire that goes to the connector for the console gauges. It comes to the carpet area in front of the console....... not through the console.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
850 Posts
@BJS, FWIW I “like” @Mike in AZ s suggestion about the battery and the ground above. I’ve had similar issues happen to one of my trucks randomly. I knew what was going on as I knew the battery was battery was on “its last legs” when I bought the truck, and I’d read about the experiences had by a few owners. Cleaning the grounds and replacing the battery cured the random behavior.

Intermittent issues are tough to find and it can be a slow process. I recommend doing one thing at a time to help isolate and address the issue.

My suggestion follows @Mike in AZ and @Autoprof s. After checking the battery and grounds, and seeing if that addresses the issue, then look at the data connector... AND then pop the top of the dash and ensure the connectors used to interface the radio to the OEM harness are secure. After that, another thing you could try is to disconnect the radio module harness from the truck and see if the symptoms go away. This would begin to point at the radio module interface.

My back story:
I’ve seen what can happen with professional stereo installations on both my trucks, one I paid for and one that was done before we bought the truck. I’m sure there are good installers out there, but my trucks were “0 for 2”. From my experiences, what can go wrong comes down to which parts/modules the installer used to interface with the truck and how “creative” they are. That said, both installations had issues with the radio systems and their controls and not the operation of the truck (yet).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate everyone's advice. Next weekend I will start the slow tedious process of investigating each of the potential causes one by one and hope I identify the root cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts