Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three times lately I have picked up a virus while on this site. The computer repair I took my laptop to suggested I stay away from SSRFANATICS website as it was where these threats came from. I paid $90. to get it removed even though I have a great anti virus package it somehow snuck thru. I will try to ween myself off but it will be difficult.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,055 Posts
Sorry to hear that but why would you be getting a virus when others are not? Hopefully he is not making our site a scrap goat. I suggest you contact the Administrators and see if they are aware of anything...

Perhaps I'm lucky. Anyone else out there with the same problem?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,173 Posts
I think I would get a second opinion on that. Doesn't sound right.
1. No one else is getting it.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
:rolleyes:
I'm not at all good about keeping up with these anti-virus programs. I think I have one but not sure which one it is nor how well it is or is not working. In fact, I'm still running Windows 7 which recently went out of service for any further updating.

I plan to make a move to Windows 10 very soon and then will focus also on an associated anti-virus program and try to keep it all updated.

Meantime, I'm not aware of experiencing any viruses.........other than the program last few days seems to me to be running "slow". Otherwise..........all is OK.

·
Premium Member
31,987 Posts
I also have experienced no issues. I would think if there was a virus on Fanatics site there would be a lot of people speaking up.

·
SSR Believer
1,126 Posts
Without going into technobabble and understanding nothing is infallible, I too would be very skeptical of the PC tech's diagnosis. If a computer is infected, understanding exactly where the virus originated is near impossible. Unless this is the one and only website ever visited and that no other possibilities exist (clicking on nefarious links in emails, image downloads, etc.), the the claim that a virus was contracted on this site once, let alone three times, although not impossible, it's highly improbable.

That said I have seen spam postings slip through. They're usually taken down quickly, but clicking on links within those posts could take visitors to sites created by bad actors. An innocent click on a link in an email, even from what appears to be someone that you know and trust, can do the same.

As mentioned, others would almost certainly be experiencing the same issue(s). Never say never of course, but chances are this site is not the source of malware.

As with any serious diagnosis, a second opinion is warranted. @Administrator can probably chime in with more advice.

If you're ever concerned about a website's security there's a free online evaluation available from Sucuri, one of the top security firms:

A screenshot of the results for this site attached.

Phew! Hope that helps!

SSRF Sucuri 030920.jpg

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,908 Posts
I also have experienced no issues. I would think if there was a virus on Fanatics site there would be a lot of people speaking up.

Very valid point, Erik.

Also, with all due respect, what type of "Crystall Ball" does this Computer Repairman possess that would give him the power to single out one particular website?

! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: !

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,581 Posts
My xfinity wi-fi Advanced security gives me a weekly report of all sites that contain malware, spyware, ransomware, and or viruses and blocks them and this site has never been on the list. I also have Norton that puts a green check on all safe sites and this site is always green.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,016 Posts
I wonder if the fact that @Blur'd Vision is thr only one posting here that IS NOT a premium member. Maybe try premium for a year which is supposed to block pop up ads might make a difference.

Just a thought. No problems here.
A valid question that might be answered by @Administrator letting us know what protection they have installed to prevent the advertisers from being a source of a virus.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I haven't see any thing on my checks. Did the computer guy give you any other info on it? Is it maybe from a specific section that it is coming from that some of us don't check on?

·
BLU SSR
2,994 Posts
Hey Dave,
I don't think I have noticed anything either, BUT, it is hard to tell with all the weekly interruptions with "upgrades" and other blips that have become routine. How did your problems manifest themselves? Maybe we have problems and just don't notice? Hopefully they are taking your questions seriously and are checking it out. Don't give up on us!
Jim

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,100 Posts
THANKS for all the "support".
How did you suspect a virus hit you and know it came from here if you say they snuck through your virus package? I know sometimes virus packages hit on advertising but it should be a one time event, you block it, and then move on. It should not affect the computer after that You did not click those recent spammer links that were posted a few times last week did you? Those would be the only site related virus issues I could think of. Did you suggest to the computer techs that this is the only site you visit regularly? That is the only link I could see that they would make a suggestion to.

I also agree with previous suggestions, if you are running an out of date OS or browser, they can act oddly and hang up when they integrate with newer websites and should be upgraded.

Do you read emails from people and open links or view images from others? I think that would be much more problematic than visiting here. A virus can embed things in images, links, etc. I usually delete jokes, do not view embeded images and do not click links in emails.

Either way, I hope things get better for you but I would be wary of many other thngs other than this site.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts