Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone ever has the chance, add some sound deadner to the upper roof panel under the headliner. I had my SSR at my dealer for a weather strip replace around windows, you know where they roll under the glass. Anyway while the roof and headliner were apart i added in some sound deadner pads under the liner and man, what a difference it made....not near as much wind noise and even the radio sound quality seems so much better. Cab is quiet and just the general noise level is down....:thumbs

·
Registered
111 Posts
:agree :agree

I used dymamat every where I could fit it and what a difference it makes.

The doors are the best place to start it helps the audio sound quality, and when you close the door it is not tinny sounding anymore.

Here is their web address

http://www.dynamat.com/index.html

:jester

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Larryanchor said:

The doors are the best place to start it helps the audio sound quality, and when you close the door it is not tinny sounding anymore.

Before I inquire on this product from a Canadian distributor can you provide a little more detail.

-what product do you use? I see they have a number of different product (ie the Dynamat quiet comfort, cool comfort etc)

-what quantity do you suggest for the headliner and doors

-just curious on cost to compare

Thanks frank

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dynamat

Frank

I used the Dynamat Xtreme because according to the manufacturer

"The Xtreme controls vibration four times better than Dynamat Original and requires no heat for installation.

Dynamat creates a "sonic barrier" restoring 3, 6, even 12 dB of lost dynamic range Gaining just 3 dB doubles your effective amplifier power. Not only do you up your amp output, you hear more of the sounds you want - like music, navigation systems, video, and cell phones."

I also had the car apart the headliner was down to be recovered the rugs were out so I put it everywhere I could.

I even put a second piece inside of the door skin when you close the door now it sounds as solid as my fathers 1959 Cadillac.

It is almost soundproof with the roof up.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
web link

Bill Scott said:
What is the price on the extreme ? does it come as a kit or by the sq foot?
Go to the web address for an answer to your question. a few option for you to choose from.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
B-Quiet

There is a company called B-Quiet, from Canada that makes several types of high tech sound proofing materials for cars, including one called brown bread. They recommend different products for different results. There is actually quite a science to this. I used their stuff on my 01 Lightning, and it increased the percieved quality of the truck quite a bit with regard to NVH. It was also quite a bit cheaper than dyna-mat if I remember. Just type B-Quiet into a google search.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
ebay

I bought my dynamat "extreme" on ebay. 36 sq feet for about $95, w/shipping it was $120. Compared the extreme with the "regular" product (in another SSR) and it is a world of difference. BUY THE EXTREME. I used 9 sq feet for each door.

Have some remaining for the roof when the situation presents itself.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Purple Penelope said:
I bought my dynamat "extreme" on ebay. 36 sq feet for about $95, w/shipping it was $120. Compared the extreme with the "regular" product (in another SSR) and it is a world of difference. BUY THE EXTREME. I used 9 sq feet for each door.

Have some remaining for the roof when the situation presents itself.

P/P

Please clarify as to what did you get the "extreme" or the "XTreme"?? When I look at e-bay I see a Calgary (Canadian) dealer selling B-Quiet Extreme as in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-sq-ft-EXTRE...5868290718QQcategoryZ1498QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then there's the Dynamat XTreme sold on other auctions as in this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNA...ewItemQQcategoryZ38655QQitemZ8041091807QQrdZ1

The Extreme is way cheaper than the Xtreme (about 3x in the above two auction comparisons). Based on price the Dyamat Xtreme should be WAY better

So I assume you got the Xtreme based on the price you paid.:confused

Thanks Frank

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thickness

Larryanchor said:

What thickness did you use in the different areas?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did those of you who installed sound deadening materials to the doors apply it to the inside surface of the door sheet metal, to the inner door panel (i.e., in place of the vapor barrier) or both?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Larryanchor said:
I put it place of the vapor barrier, and a week later to the inner door skin also.

You can tell the difference.:flag
Larry:

Based on your order of installation -- which suggests you had to remove the vapor barrier-replacing layer to apply the additional layer to the inner door skin -- it sounds like you weren't satisfied with the vapor barrier layer only. Is that the case?

Was it difficult to remove and replace the vapor barrier layer for the inner door skin job?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
So I assume you got the Xtreme based on the price you paid.:confused

Thanks Frank[/QUOTE]

Frank...my bad not saying the product was spelled "Xtreme"

Did those of you who installed sound deadening materials to the doors apply it to the inside surface of the door sheet metal, to the inner door panel (i.e., in place of the vapor barrier) or both?

JAustin...Mine was placed on both the sheet metal of the door and on the inner door surfaces before I replaced the vapor barrier sheeting. Also make sure you have it insulating the woofers from the inner door surfaces.

One important point....make sure you buy the roller...makes it much easier to get a good bond in the corners and along the door edges.

P/P

·
Registered
416 Posts
Purple Penelope said:

JAustin...Mine was placed on both the sheet metal of the door and on the inner door surfaces before I replaced the vapor barrier sheeting. Also make sure you have it insulating the woofers from the inner door surfaces.

One important point....make sure you buy the roller...makes it much easier to get a good bond in the corners and along the door edges.

P/P

P/P:

Thanks for the follow-up. So you reinstalled the vapor barrier after installing Dynamat Xtreme on the inside door panel. Interesting... The Dynamat web site suggests discarding the vapor barrier and using the Dynamat Xtreme cover in its place. So long as your approach is workable, I like it better!

I'm with you on insulating the "inner door surfaces" from the woofers; i.e. covering the entire woofer mounting area with Dynamat Xtreme.

Did you use any DynaPlate over the holes in the inside door panel?

When I do this, I want to only do it once / do it right the first time!

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you do a search on this site you will find the instructions, It's simple if you have the directions, but without them you just might damage something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Bill

Put Dynamat Xtreme inside the doors and on the wall behind the seats. Did not help much. Noise from the rear tires still comes thru the air vent in the side vertical wall then up thru the two huge holes in the horizontal deck on each side. I am going to work on sealing that next, but we must have an exit for outside air.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Old thread,... new question.

I saw where some people put the Dynamat in their headliner. How difficult is it to take that apart? I had it put in the doors and in the boot where the roof stores and that helped a lot with outside noise, but we still get that air sound from the back when the roof is up... does anyone have suggestons for the extra air noise?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts