Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in decreasing the road noise transmitted up through the top storage area into the cabin with the top up. It comes boiling up through the slot just forward of the top where the filler panel fits when the top is down. It seems especially loud in the corners by the shoulder harness.

Does anyone have experience with adding a soundproofing material inside the compartment? I've used "dynamat" to help audio installations, but I am a little leery of lining the entire compartment with this material (it's really heavy) and then trying to get the stock insulation back into place.

Other than standing on your head to install it, there may be some other limitations that I am not aware of.......

Mike

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
soundproofing

See if you can get a copy of service bulletin #05-08-58-002 dated june 10 2005.
I found this last week but have not had a chance to do it yet. :ssr

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
mikem-2005 said:
I am interested in decreasing the road noise transmitted up through the top storage area into the cabin with the top up. It comes boiling up through the slot just forward of the top where the filler panel fits when the top is down. It seems especially loud in the corners by the shoulder harness.

Does anyone have experience with adding a soundproofing material inside the compartment? I've used "dynamat" to help audio installations, but I am a little leery of lining the entire compartment with this material (it's really heavy) and then trying to get the stock insulation back into place.

Other than standing on your head to install it, there may be some other limitations that I am not aware of.......

Mike
Another option is installing a WindsuppreSSR www.windsuppressr.com It helps to block most of the noise that comes from that hollow area that the top drops in. Not to mention does a fantastic job buffeting the wind with the top down. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
gmpartsguy said:
See if you can get a copy of service bulletin #05-08-58-002 dated june 10 2005.
I found this last week but have not had a chance to do it yet. :ssr
How about a little more of a description of what this bulletin covers? Please. :yesnod

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
sound proofing

It states that the noise is coming thru the pressure relief valve which is locted in the top storage compartment. GMs fix is a small piece of foam insulation on the outer panel by the valve. The part # is 15777315, 2 required, and it is about 3 by 5 inches in size. I,m trying to get this done this week and will let everyone know if it works. :seeya

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My truck is one of the last 05's built and I thought it might have the fix already in place, but can find no evidence. I looked in thecompartment and can see the pressure relief valve clearly. It is the exit for the cabin air. Does the foam piece go on the outside or inside of the compartment? I have nothing on the inside of the compartment and the exit area into the forward wheel flare area appears barren, even though I had to explore the area with a blind hand......

This will probably be a TSB that gets a lot of use.

Is there a GM TSB site that is acessable to the general public?

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
sound proofing

It goes on the outside. The bulletin says remove the plastic liner , clean the outer panel potward of the valve,slide the insulator between the valve and the outer panel and stick to outer panel. I,m sure there is a site to access TSB but I don't know where it is :thumbs

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
gmpartsguy said:
It states that the noise is coming thru the pressure relief valve which is locted in the top storage compartment. GMs fix is a small piece of foam insulation on the outer panel by the valve. The part # is 15777315, 2 required, and it is about 3 by 5 inches in size. I,m trying to get this done this week and will let everyone know if it works. :seeya
I just did the bulletin last Friday. it helped a little. don't put the pads in the way the bulletin tells you, it's to difficult. I found if you raise the tonneau and leave the top up you can reach in and remove the relief valves and then clean the inner fender through the valve hole and install the pads the same way, it's so much easier.

I was also just handed a new TECH link and there is section on wind noise for the SSR. I will have toread it and get back with you all .

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
wingrider said:
I just did the bulletin last Friday. it helped a little. don't put the pads in the way the bulletin tells you, it's to difficult. I found if you raise the tonneau and leave the top up you can reach in and remove the relief valves and then clean the inner fender through the valve hole and install the pads the same way, it's so much easier.

I was also just handed a new TECH link and there is section on wind noise for the SSR. I will have toread it and get back with you all .

Thanks for keeping us informed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts