Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04. If I wanted to carry a supply of spare fuses, can someone give me list of types and sizes to buy? Thanks in advance.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,682 Posts
Fuses

Two-blade mini-fuses are commonly used in both engine compartment and rear fuse panels. Sizes are 10, 15, 20 and 25 amps. There are larger fuses and relays, too, as shown in the attached photo of an engine compartment fuse panel. Most of the "common" applications are covered by the mini-fuses, so how many of the larger items to carry becomes a personal choice. For example, traveling cross country might warrant carrying more than just the mini-fuses.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two-blade mini-fuses are commonly used in both engine compartment and rear fuse panels. Sizes are 10, 15, 20 and 25 amps. There are larger fuses and relays, too, as shown in the attached is a photo of an engine compartment fuse panel. Most of the "common" applications are covered by the mini-fuses, so how many of the larger items to carry becomes a personal choice. For example, traveling cross country might warrant carrying more than just the mini-fuses.
Thank you. Very helpful!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
Thank you. Very helpful!
If you look closely at the picture provided by Snomuncher you will note that on the right side of the fuse box there are 7 empty slots. I use those slots to carry the spare fuses I carry one of each and then the other 3 spaces get extras based on the quantity in use. That way the fuses are where they are needed if one blows.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look closely at the picture provided by Snomuncher you will note that on the right side of the fuse box there are 7 empty slots. I use those slots to carry the spare fuses I carry one of each and then the other 3 spaces get extras based on the quantity in use. That way the fuses are where they are needed if one blows.
Good idea. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
One thing I discovered when riding Harley's is a type of fuse called "GLOW WHEN THEY BLOW." I ordered an assortment off Ebay and replaced all my under hood fuses with them plus have a few extra. Probably will replace my behind the seat fuses soon. Sure makes finding a flown fuse easy.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I discovered when riding Harley's is a type of fuse called "GLOW WHEN THEY BLOW." I ordered an assortment off Ebay and replaced all my under hood fuses with them plus have a few extra. Probably will replace my behind the seat fuses soon. Sure makes finding a flown fuse easy.
Thanks. Good idea. Are they mini blade or what size are they?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,032 Posts
Hope I don't rain on my own parade here but most posts on this forum concerning electrical are not fuses. they are major things. If you do blow a fuse it is usually because of a bare wire or short somewhere and if you don't locate and fix that first the new fuse will also blow right away. Haven't heard anyone that couldn't get home because of a fuse. Usually it is one of the large resister type things that go out and then some folks have switched them around and made it home. Where we live in the towns at least there is an Auto store on every corner so could buy one or swap one out and limp home. On a trip might be different but a spare tire concerns me more than a spare fuse. Just my two cents and we all know what that is worth. Better to be safe then be sorry. Good motorin!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope I don't rain on my own parade here but most posts on this forum concerning electrical are not fuses. they are major things. If you do blow a fuse it is usually because of a bare wire or short somewhere and if you don't locate and fix that first the new fuse will also blow right away. Haven't heard anyone that couldn't get home because of a fuse. Usually it is one of the large resister type things that go out and then some folks have switched them around and made it home. Where we live in the towns at least there is an Auto store on every corner so could buy one or swap one out and limp home. On a trip might be different but a spare tire concerns me more than a spare fuse. Just my two cents and we all know what that is worth. Better to be safe then be sorry. Good motorin!
Thanks. Good Perspective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts