Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls, unless you want to spring for a new 17" steel wheel to the tune of about $240.00 you had better get to "junk yarding".

I know all about the sealants and the compressors and the roadside assiatance BUT>>>>> you blow a tire on an Interstate at night in "BF, Egypt" and you got problems. All the sealant and plugs in the world won't help you. Me I'm getting a spare....

I found 2 spare 17" Trailblazer/Envoy wheels avaliable and one is on the way to me. I plan on mounting a Goodyear Integra 225/65 X 17 on it that wiill give me a diameter of 28.4 inches. Since the stock front is 27 and the rear is 29.2 it should suffice for either.

The Torsen web site says their diff's are small spare friendly and since I'm not talking about doing "One Lap of America" here I see so issues except space. This is a spare to use to get me to a shop or hotel until a shop opens.

Rick

·
OP
8,226 Posts
thanks

Been doing the same homework lately, thanks for finishing it for me.
There was talk at one point about relocating the battery box to make room for a spare. Not sure of the progression on this but it would work out great for us.
Then all you would nee is a way to lock the spare into place. Also need to make sure to install a heat shield around the left tailpipe that would locate nearest the tire.
Good luck

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,243 Posts
Thanks For The Info

THANKS RICK:seeya

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spare

Glad to help. I looked at the rack thing too. There are several shops that will fab a rack for you but with the battery issue and the exhaust pipes it got too messy for me.

I think this will work fine and will let everyone know.

Rick

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im not really up to date on my tires, but my dealer said that I had run flat tires on mine. I have an 05 6 speed. How much truth is there in his comment, I don't know. I was concerned with it not having a spare but I later found out it had the tire kit, probably useless.

As for your proposed spare tire solution, I would reconsider a few things. I would go with the back tire size instead of an average between the front and back. My rearend is positve traction or really close to it. With an inch different in tire size while on the back it could really were out a tire, weither your spare or the good one or both I don't know but it could happen. It could even be possible to cause rearend damage. If you put it on the front, it would sit a little more unlevel but wouldn't be as likely to wear tires and parts.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the bigger tire up front would even fit. There really is no good way of doing it, unless you had two I guess.

Good luck

·
OP
8,226 Posts
bobd54321 said:
Im not really up to date on my tires, but my dealer said that I had run flat tires on mine. I have an 05 6 speed. How much truth is there in his comment, I don't know. I was concerned with it not having a spare but I later found out it had the tire kit, probably useless.

Good luck

Your dealer is an idiot:eek
This is not uncommon for dealers/salesmen not to know their product. There are not run-flats on the SSR. To have these you would need a tire monitoring system and manufacturers would have to make a 20 inch run flat, not there yet I believe.

So if you can find run flats and then install a TMS, you can run them. Someone on this site has done so, but they changed the wheels to accomodate tire sizes.

Tell your dealer to study up on their product.:sleep

·
Registered
93 Posts
I live in lexington M-F and go to Greenup where my SSR is on the weekend. It's less than 2 hours to lexington (its close to Ashland). So pretty close.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Ashland is not that far away. I've been hoping to get a SSR cruise going in june to tour a couple of horse farms and distilleries.Maybe you could join us.:seeya

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Size

Like I said...this tire will be used in case of a flat only!! I am not going to leave it on for extended use. Therefore I am not worried about tire wear. I also said that the Torsen differential in the SSR is "small tire friendly".....that can be confirmed on their web site. Therefore I am not worried about differential wear either.

The SSR does NOT have run-flats and as said above there are none in the correct sizes available.

A pressure monitoring system is not required for run flats. They are there to tell you you need air because otherwise you might not know a tire(s) was low and the recommended driving speed/distance might be exceeded. Checking pressure very regularly would be necessary to insure that is not the case. If they were available I would buy them for my SSR but I will not invest in wheels to do it. My Vet has them and I have no problem with them.

Rick

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,243 Posts
Run Flats

I HAVE RUN FLATS ON MY PROWLER THE RUN FLAT TIRES GIVE A HARDER RIDE:banghead

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Lug Pattern???

Does the trailblazer have the same Lug pattern of the SSR??? I thought the SSR had a 6 by 5 lug pattern and the trailblazer had a 6 by 5.5 pattern??? I may be wrong though...

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I haven't found any yet, and I don't think anyone else has. Closest would be to drop to 18" fronts and 19" rears to use the Z06 run-flats.

Keep in mind the rears are 285/35 Z rated - so very low profile, and the wear factor is much higher than the stock tires.

Ray

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Run flats

No...there are no run flats in our sizes. Unless something has changed very recently the Z06 does not have run flats either. The standard C6 does but not the Z06.

Run flats do ride harder but the extra margin of "warm fuzzy" is, in my opinion, worth it. If they were available I would buy them ASAP. BUT....I can't see springing for new wheels and going through the programming issues that would be required to go to a smaller diameter.

As a result the spare tire I spoke of initially willy do just fine.

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
According to the latest info on GM's website, the Z06 is equipped with 275/35ZR18 front and 325/30ZR19 rear Goodyear Eagle F! Extended Mobility tires.

Ray

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tire size

I recently installed Toyo Proxes S/T tires on my SSR. The front tires were .70 larger in diameter than the original tires. It has only about .375 clearance when the tires are turned. I think the 1.4 inch larger tires on the front will hit when you turn the wheels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now have spare

As I promised...follow up......

http://market.autopartsfair.com/chevy-wheels_rims/catalog-item-5040.html

That is where I got the new 17" Trailblazer/Envoy spare tire rim. I put a 225 60 X 17 Goodyear Integrity on it. It has a diameter of 27" to match the current front tire. The Integrity cost me $80.00 plus mount and balance.

I just got finished mounting and driving on the spare and it works fine. On the front you don't even know it is there. On the back you know something is different but it is not an issue. I turned traction control OFF and all was well. There are NO clearance issues front or rear.

SEARS has a trolly jack for $39.00 that is in a nice black case and I will put one in the bed with a lug wrench. That will serve nicely in an emergency.

By the way.....a gorilla put my lug nuts on. Had to use a long bar to break them loose. Be sure to check yours.....and re-torque to the recommended 100 Ft. lbs.

THre is still room in the bed for lots of luggage!!

Rick

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Good Job

thanks for doing the legwork on this, now to figure out mounting underneath...ah, but that is another day...

1 - 20 of 149 Posts