Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to have something with me just in case. anyone else feels that way? Should I get a full size or a donut? How would the full size work with 19's front and 20's rear? Here is what I have found from tirerack.com

Original Equipment:
Goodyear Eagle RS-A (High Performance All-Season)

Front: 255/45-19
Price: $159

Rear:
295/40-20
Price: $168

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
I'd check with a knowledgeable tire store before making a decision. I'd thought about carrying a spare as well, but don't have my SSR yet to do some checking. Here's my thinking - you can't use a rear wheel on the front - offset is too radical, and the tire is larger, so the wheel would be into the fender with any bump in the road.

You might get away with using a front wheel on the rear,(smaller diameter is not a problem) but with the lesser offset, it may be too deep in the wheelwell and rub against the frame, brake assembly or other components. If that's the case, you can purchase spacers (Truckin magazine has ads in most issues) at about $80 each. If you blew a rear tire, you would install the spacer first, then the wheel.

Should work - just need to pull the wheels and swap a front to the rear to check it, and see how deep a spacer you would need.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how about donuts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just carry a AAA card, it's much lighter :D

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Flats

I actually found a nail in my tire after owning this truck just 2 weeks. I drove to the tire store and had them fix it. How many flats do you get in a year anyway? I haven't had a flat since 1988 when I had bought my first Camaro and had a nail in the tire within the first 2 weeks of owning it (luckily this is only a semi-repeating incident). I've definitely had more problems with engines, transmissions, and starters.

I agree AAA card and a cell phone.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Re: Flats

looking4_an_ssr said:
I actually found a nail in my tire after owning this truck just 2 weeks. I drove to the tire store and had them fix it. How many flats do you get in a year anyway? I haven't had a flat since 1988 when I had bought my first Camaro and had a nail in the tire within the first 2 weeks of owning it (luckily this is only a semi-repeating incident). I've definitely had more problems with engines, transmissions, and starters.

I agree AAA card and a cell phone.
Ooooooooo - you shouldn't have said that 1988 thing.

M

·
0 Posts
I too have thought about carrying some kind of a spare. I am thinking just something of average width, nothing wide. Something with an average outside diameter of the front and rear. Just something to get me back on the road if need be. But then there is the jack issue too. What kind of a jack do I carry? Can I have someone at a welding shop look at making a carrier of some sort under the bed to carry the spare tire? I think I can mount a small tool box to the bed floor to hold a jack and wrenches needed to change a tire. Just some thought. I am not a AAA member, but have a cell phone and a credit card. But my luck...if I get a flat tire, it will be somewhere where there is no cell phone service. That would suck.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
If all else fails

I guess we use the foam kit that came with the truck or call the GM road assistance number if the cell service works. I really don't want to carry anything (tire, jack etc...) in the back of my bed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spare tire size

Flash.... Remember that the rear differential is a TORSEN design and is very similiar to "positraction". Thus.. you should not use a smaller size tire on one side of the rear end. The smaller diameter tire/wheel combination will rotate more than the larger side causing excessive heat and wear on the gears and may cause premature wear and ultimately failure of the rear end.

Please reconsider your suggestion.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Thanks, Fun 4 2 - I hadn't considered the positrac aspect being a concern - it's not a problem on a standard diff - hence the mini spares. I'll do some more checking about the actual rolling diameter of the tires. The 40 series in the same size will be smaller than the 45, but we're going from a 255 front to a 295 rear. I went from 235/70-15 on my Sonoma to 255/45-18, and the tire diameter was within 1/8 inch. I'll post you on the difference in size.

P.S. - I did say to check with a knowledgeable tire shop - but they probably wouldn't be aware of the positrac diff - I wonder if they would even ask?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Flats Hrumph.

I got y'all beat. Picked my up sunday noon, monday evening on the way home from work flatted the front left.

There I was, sitting on the side of the road with all the commute traffic going by.

I wanted to crawl down in foot well and hide.

Good news was that the roadside assistance of the warrantee worked great. The tow arrived in about 30 mins. Would have been a lot quicker if it had happened on the other side of the next overpass.

BTW. I've been driving this commute since 1977. This was the third flat in all that time.

Still, I'm not going to be without some kind of roadside assistance as long as I own the SSR.

D

·
0 Posts
If I was going to carry a full size spare I would carry two 19" ones. That way if one of the rear tires went flat then I would put both on but if a front went flat I would only put one on. It's not practical to carry one or two spares though because of the small cargo area.

Because I have a Corvette without a spare too, I carry a AAA card, a cell phone and a portable CB because cell phone service where I live sucks.

:cheers

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You can use a front tire on the rear or a different diameter spare, but your abs calibration would not be correct. That is one reason there is no spare.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Two Spares?

I suppose if two donuts were carried, both rears could be replaced at the same time.

Not me. I've already decided just to make sure I always have roadside assistance coverage.

:jester Something else, I saw a guy on one of those minibikes. The ones that are only about 12 inches tall. Looks like a rice rocket. You ride them with your knees up around your ears.

That would take up less space than a 20 inch tire.

M

·
0 Posts
Tow or Tire?

Hey Beer100...
When you got your flat and waited for the tow truck...did they fix your flat? Bring you a new tire? Or just tow you to there service station? What all did you have to do? Let us know.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hey Beer100...
When you got your flat and waited for the tow truck...did they fix your flat? Bring you a new tire? Or just tow you to there service station? What all did you have to do? Let us know.
They hauled me to a nearby tire shop who plugged it. Roadside paid for the tow. I paid for the plug.

I suppose I can get reimbursed for the plug, it's part of the coverage. I'm just to lazy to push for that small of an amount. The tow driver told me it would have been a $70 charge. $50 for the hookup + $5/mi.

It's possible it could have been fixed on site, except it was the traffic side front, with heavy traffic. I would not have wanted to be changing that tire even had there been a spare. Also I don't think the flatbed was equipped for a roadside fix, no tool lockers.

Glenn

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
road side coverage

First ever brand new vehicle, so first time ever road side service. Can someone tell me is the road side service good until the warranty runs out with the option to apply for after that or what? My hubby was thinking about signing up for the AAA coverage but don't know for sure if we would need both. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts