Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been numerous comments concerning spare tire choice and I have read dozens of them. The general consensus for many (but not all) seems to be*235/65/17 since it's pretty close to the rear tire size and only slightly taller than the front and*is*narrow enough that when put on the front it does not rub.

My question has to do with the rim itself. It seems that a*17 X 7 wheel for a Trailblazer and/or Envoy is what I should*look for. OK, so I go to my local Vehicle*Recycling Center (junkyard) and tell them I want a used rim for my SSR. He's got a hundred rims stacked up in no particular order and hasn't a clue which one(s) are for a Trailblazer/Envoy. So what should*I ask for as far as bolt pattern, size or anything*else that he may ask to narrow the search and of course I won't know?

A used rim and tire OK since I may never ending up using it, or if I do it will only be a short trip to a tire dealer as opposed to waiting for a toe truck taking me God knows where hoping they may be able to help...or not. I take cross country trips and knowing I have a spare makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It is actually easy with the cast wheels, they have a part number cast into the wheel in the lug nut area. Search Google and it will have lists of the wheels. Also the wheels are 6 lug so it makes it easy to pass over all the 5 lug wheels. When I got mine I went to a yard and pulled it off the truck in the yard Aluminum wheel was $35.00. Then went to the tire shop and bought a new tire. total cost was about $100. I also drive my truck and it is worth the piece of mind that I have a spare with me.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
17" wheel 7" wide with 6 bolts on 5" circle Is what I recall. Someone will correct me I'm sure if I am incorrect. The tire is what I have on each of mine. I have the Simple-engineering.com spare tire kit because it takes no space from the bed and when I go on my road trips I fill the bed.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
A 17" Trailblazer/Envoy Steel rim works perfect for the spare.
The correct size tire is between 28.6” and 28.9” tall the 235 is too large if you plan to install a SE Spare Tire Kit, go with a 225/65-17.
Below Ebay seller link has been selling new steel wheels for a long time and they are cheaper than many used dirty rusty ones. I bought one from them over a year ago. Perfect Fit front and back. $75 free shipping, brand new.

If you have MGP Caliper covers, they need to be removed to install any 17" rim, so make sure you have the tools for that in your tool kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-GMC-ENVOY-CHEVY-TRAILBLAZER-6-LUG-NEW-STEEL-WHEEL-RIM-5134N/361946213789?fits=Model:Trailblazer&hash=item5445aced9d:g:rrQAAOSwTmtazRMJ:rk:1:pf:0

Greg

Reactions: CPFriend

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Great idea.

If you are driving your R you are wise to consider carrying a spare, especially if you drive a lot of hwy. miles. The spare I purchased fit in the cargo area and I still had a lot of storage space. The well of the spare is where I stored all my related equipment. The cover I purchased on ebay, the SSR Decal was also purchased on ebay.

NOTE: I found a 20" REAR SSR rim with a little curb rash that I bought as my spare.

"Long may you run"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Could you explain "MGP Caliper covers"? Thanks
might want to start a new thread for the caliper covers question. Simple covers that go over the brake calipers and can be had in various colors. I put red ones on my black truck and it adds detail to the wheel area and looks good. No performance benefit but adds good looks.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Most Pick-A-Part recycle facilities ( Junk Yards ) have the vehicles staged in identified areas by Make and Model. You can go too the lines and look inside the Trailblazers or Envoys and find their spare tires, usually with a good tire already installed. Some of the facilities here in Houston area even have specials on Spares on Sundays and are relatively cheap on those days. Just a thought...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts