Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a spare tire, from what I’ve read looks like a 17” wheel from a trailblazer will work well. Does it matter what year trailblazer or they all the same size wheel n hole pattern?
Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Looking to get a spare tire, from what I’ve read looks like a 17” wheel from a trailblazer will work well. Does it matter what year trailblazer or they all the same size wheel n hole pattern?
Thanks Jeff
Do a search for "spare tire size". Tons of information on this subject and you will find your answer you were looking for.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
Hey Bob, did you really measure your SPARE TIRE ?? - I was thinkin' it might be bigger than that!! - :surprise:

:pokey:

==============
David :black:

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
Hey Bob, did you really measure your SPARE TIRE ?? - I was thinkin' it might be bigger than that!! - :surprise:

:pokey:

==============
David :black:
Didn't have to David ... I can look at a Rim and tell you exactly what size it is and what the Bolt pattern is !!! :laugh: :grin2: :laugh: :grin2: :laugh: You wanna' buy some Ocean Front property in Arizona while I got your attention ??? tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,747 Posts
I am on my way back with my new to me 05 SSR from California to St Louis. I was not brave enough to try the trip with out a spare. I stopped in California and picked up a aluminum floor jack,1/2 drive breaker bar and set of sockets. I left and got to Arizona and saw a pick a part on the side of the road so I popped in there and picked up a Trailblazer wheel for 35.00. I went on and got further till my next stop and bought a new tire this morning. The tire was funny because they gave me a hard time about what it fits and wanting to make sure it is the correct size and safe for the vehicle. Wanted to charge me for balance and installation. I said it is a spare, I don't need it put on. Well we will put it away for you then for the extra $10 charge. I said sorry there is no place to put it away on my truck. Oh we can put it under if we need to. So finally I explained it just goes in the bed and you will not find any listing for a spare tire size for a Chevy SSR just sell me the tire, no charge for disposal because I have a empty wheel and I don't want it balanced either. So my total was 70 for the jack about 35 for the tools, wheel was 35 tire was 81. Peace of mind for 1800 miles = PRICELESS

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
I am on my way back with my new to me 05 SSR from California to St Louis. I was not brave enough to try the trip with out a spare. I stopped in California and picked up a aluminum floor jack,1/2 drive breaker bar and set of sockets. I left and got to Arizona and saw a pick a part on the side of the road so I popped in there and picked up a Trailblazer wheel for 35.00. I went on and got further till my next stop and bought a new tire this morning. The tire was funny because they gave me a hard time about what it fits and wanting to make sure it is the correct size and safe for the vehicle. Wanted to charge me for balance and installation. I said it is a spare, I don't need it put on. Well we will put it away for you then for the extra $10 charge. I said sorry there is no place to put it away on my truck. Oh we can put it under if we need to. So finally I explained it just goes in the bed and you will not find any listing for a spare tire size for a Chevy SSR just sell me the tire, no charge for disposal because I have a empty wheel and I don't want it balanced either. So my total was 70 for the jack about 35 for the tools, wheel was 35 tire was 81. Peace of mind for 1800 miles = PRICELESS
Same thing with me. Didn't want to sell tire to me because it wasn't correct size for my Vehicle. I went out the door, got my loose wheel and said I need a tire for my Trailblazer. Done deal.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,069 Posts
I did the same thing but bought a brand new 17x7 rim on eBay (see link). I didn't want to risk buying a defective used rim. Arrived in 3 days with free shipping and in original manufacturer packaging. I paid $67 (now advertised for $75). New tire at TirePlus and put the new spare in the bed ... had to remove one of my hard saddlebags for the spare to fit. Put a heavy-duty floor jack and chocks in the remaining saddlebag. Lug wrench and jack-stands wedged behind the spare. Great peace of mind for my trip to from Florida to Texas to Missouri then back to Florida.
Cheers, Carl

17x7 Trailblazer Spare Rim

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Jay
Yes it will work for front or back, however just to get you where you are going so you can get you flat fixed or tire replaced.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,798 Posts
Jay
Yes it will work for front or back, however just to get you where you are going so you can get you flat fixed or tire replaced.
In my case it was my right front and it got me from Seattle, WA to Pasadena, CA where the new tire was because it would take 3 days to get the tire shipped to Seattle and only 3 days to get home. I boxed up the SSR rim and shipped it home so I did not take up the room in the bed.
Note: I have simple-engineering spare tire kit and the OEM rims will not fit under the bed.

Reactions: 90 Fatboy and Quest

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,365 Posts
We have only a "Gaggle Of Ambulance Chasers" to thank for these "Save Me From Myself" precautions / requirements.

! :nodno ! :banghead ! :nodno ! :banghead ! :nodno !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,798 Posts
We have only a "Gaggle Of Ambulance Chasers" to thank for these "Save Me From Myself" precautions / requirements.

! :nodno ! :banghead ! :nodno ! :banghead ! :nodno !
Speak for yourself Driver(?) of a Garage Queen!>:)>:)

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,885 Posts
I boxed up the SSR rim and shipped it home so I did not take up the room in the bed.
Note: I have simple-engineering spare tire kit and the OEM rims will not fit under the bed.
Hmmmmm Had not thought about (flat) original not fitting in spare tire carrier!!! Hmmm!!! Damn!!!!

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,798 Posts
Hmmmmm Had not thought about (flat) original not fitting in spare tire carrier!!! Hmmm!!! Damn!!!!

Nick
I have found the first choice in a tire going down is to put air in and see how fast it is leaking. I made it from El Paso to College Station with a rear tire leaking and my TPMS keeping track of it. I filled it to 10 lbs over and drove until it was 10 lbs under then stopped an pumped it up again. It went down over night and was totally flat in the morning but the bead was good and I was able to drive to the tire store to get it repaired. I will not use the slime because of the damage it can cause to the tire and rim. It was the TPMS which first notified me of the tire going down. If the tire was damaged so I could not drive on it I would change it and put the bad one in the back and just tie the bed cover down as well as possible. I carry rope and straps for such occasions.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,311 Posts
In my case it was my right front and it got me from Seattle, WA to Pasadena, CA where the new tire was because it would take 3 days to get the tire shipped to Seattle and only 3 days to get home. I boxed up the SSR rim and shipped it home so I did not take up the room in the bed.
Hey Dwight........ Even a rear tire will fit under the SSR IF it is flat.

Regards, brother.

Mike

·
Spirited driver!
1,741 Posts
I carry my AAA AND the sapre tire for them to change. Don't want to get a tow just for a flat.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts