Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be enough room under the rear end by the battery to put an under-side mounted spare tire. Has anyone attempted this with any success?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thamks to all...

Yellow '05 6 Spd

·
Registered
436 Posts
Due to the different size tires and offset in wheels front and rear, a spare has not been the best option.

Use the "search" button in the tool bar above and look for posts on "tire pressure monitor systems" and sealant options like "Ride-On". A google search on these subjects will bring up the suppliers of these items.

And welcome to this place!

Driving a Hot Rod
Skip

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
A spare tire would be reassuring on long trips but what size? Split the difference an hang a 19.5" tire? It would list a bit but get you to the nearest town...

America's Tire in California has ordered two tires for me over the years (a sheetmetal screw in sidewall TWICE is hard to do) and both were overnite from Nevada.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
So which wheel size would be the spare, 19" or 20" or has someone found a way to mount two tires under the rear?

·
OP
8,226 Posts
SS My R said:
So which wheel size would be the spare, 19" or 20" or has someone found a way to mount two tires under the rear?
My theory is: If the battery can be relocated and a 19" and 20" donut spare can be aquired, then their "together" thickness stacked upon one another should still be less than a normal spare. Then you have to install a heat shield over the left tailpipe near the spare and also need to devise a mounting system, probably a trailblazer system.

Many "ifs" in this scenario and I know Mike in AZ was working on something to relocate the battery, but that is all I've got.

Am open to suggestions...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ya'll are not spare experts. You do not split the difference between wheel sizes to 19.5 but that WAS pretty funny! There really are only three things that matter other than where and how to store. You have to have a spare that mounts a tire that has an o.d. not real small compared to stock. The wheel has to have a diameter big enough to clear brakes but does not have to be same as stock wheels. My two F150 HarleyDavidsons came with 20" wheels and a 16" spare wheel. Thirdly, the wheel needs the same lug pattern so it will mount. Got it? Wheel offset is not very important because the spare's tire is usually an aspect ratio that is so narrow that clearance is no problem even if offset is different. Do not focus on the diameter of the wheels as much as the o.d. of the tires. On other vehicles, since the spare is often smaller than the stock tire/wheel, you need to be concerned about what to do with the flat stock tire because its o.d. is bigger (even when flat) than that of the spacesaver's but the SSR has enough room in back to handle that concern easily.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Danko said:
Ya'll are not spare experts. You do not split the difference between wheel sizes to 19.5 but that WAS pretty funny! There really are only three things that matter other than where and how to store. You have to have a spare that mounts a tire that has an o.d. not real small compared to stock. The wheel has to have a diameter big enough to clear brakes but does not have to be same as stock wheels. My two F150 HarleyDavidsons came with 20" wheels and a 16" spare wheel. Thirdly, the wheel needs the same lug pattern so it will mount. Got it? Wheel offset is not very important because the spare's tire is usually an aspect ratio that is so narrow that clearance is no problem even if offset is different. Do not focus on the diameter of the wheels as much as the o.d. of the tires. On other vehicles, since the spare is often smaller than the stock tire/wheel, you need to be concerned about what to do with the flat stock tire because its o.d. is bigger (even when flat) than that of the spacesaver's but the SSR has enough room in back to handle that concern easily.
Danko you're starting to sound like Jim ah whats his name; (Jim G that wrote the e book on the SSR).:glol :glol :leaving

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think this still applies....

years ago the thought was that the spare should be whatever size the rear tire was. If smaller and on the rear, while driving to the nearest tire shop, the rearend would think you were in a constant turn and would subject uneven wear to the differential. If the spare (larger) tire had to be put on the front, it would put uneven pressure on the steering wheel, but would be manageable until getting the flat fixed. This still seems to have some validity, hope it helps. :seeya

S

·
0 Posts
Spare tire

I too would assume that using one of the original sizes would be safe temporarily. I am using one of my front wheels/tires as a spare (since I had to put 18's on the front for my new wheels). Consider the donut spares that come from the factory. Obviously the factory was not that concerned about equal tire size for 50-60 miles of driving. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
Check old threads for previous discussion of unequal sizes at the rear. Damage to the Torsen rear end is of significant concern, even for short distances.

Ray

·
Registered
30 Posts
Danko said:
You're not exactly an expert either. Just because your spare was a 16 inch rim doesnt mean that it's that much smaller than your 20's. It's called aspect ratio. The O.D is probably quite similar.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
SSR-Club.com said:
A spare tire would be reassuring on long trips but what size? Split the difference an hang a 19.5" tire? It would list a bit but get you to the nearest town...

America's Tire in California has ordered two tires for me over the years (a sheetmetal screw in sidewall TWICE is hard to do) and both were overnite from Nevada.
UPDATE::::::::::::::: Had to replace both front tires last week.... Like others, I found both tires showing steel cord only on the insides. looking at the tires from the side looked like there were plenty of tread left...wrong!!! Bought two TOYO oversized (mentioned in another thread here) that fit great and looks as if were lowered. I knew the manager and got a good price (I was told!) of only $570.++ USD. Man, I used to buy four sets of four new tires for that much, plus they had to order them again.... WOW!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Did you do anything to prevent this type of tire wear in the future?
YES... Watch your tire wear more closely and get it into the shop at the first sign of uneven wear. I should have gotten down and checked them more often instead of driving the h*** out of it and not looking back. If I had I could have hotten more than 30,000 out of them... Shame on me, it was WAYYYYY out of adjustment!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts