Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone pull the plugs on their LS2?? I don't like the idea of steel plugs in an aluminum head for maybe 50 thousand miles or more without never-seizing them. Before I pull the plugs...does anyone know of any gotcha's?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree about your concern, however, the plugs are supposed to have anti-seize on the threads from the factory. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with plugs stuck in heads on the LSx motors from the factory. The only horro stories I have heard come from folks that replaced plugs but didn't add anti-seize to the threads before the installed the new plugs. Sure, mistakes can happen from the factory, so checking wouldn't hurt anything.

The plug wires can be a PITA to get off. You need to twist the boot 1/4 turn, then pull to remove them easier. Make sure you pull on the boot and not the wire. The boots can grip hard enough to damage the wires if you pull on them.

Also, be careful re-installing the plugs. Use anti-seize and make sure you don't accidentally start the plug cross-threading the softer aluminum hole.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
ssr blur: Unless you have a misfire or it's time for maintence, I suggest you leave things along and just enjoy your 'R'. Why are you pulling th plugs? You might get into big trouble just trying to do right. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scheide said:
ssr blur: Unless you have a misfire or it's time for maintence, I suggest you leave things along and just enjoy your 'R'. Why are you pulling th plugs? You might get into big trouble just trying to do right. Good luck.
Scheide...I like to try to head off problems before they occur. What makes you think I might get into "big trouble"? I am a pretty darn good shade tree mechanic and am not afraid to tackle just about anything. I probably have more tools than a lot of garages. I posted the question about any possible problems pulling the plugs after looking at the boots and the metal sleeve. Sometimes there are special tools required to just pull boots off. I figured this forum was the place to ask if there were any "gotcha's" so I wouldn't run into problems. If you have ever seen what happens when a steel plug won't come out of an aluminum head...it isn't pretty and can be very expensive and time consuming to fix. I would rather take an hour or two and know that I won't have a future problem.:)

Donna & John...Thanks for your input...I appreciate the tips on boot removal and I wasn't aware that the plugs are supposed to have never-seize on them from the factory.:cool

BTW...With all the snow and salt on the roads up here, SSRENITY isn't going out to play anytime soon. I get a lot of enjoyment doing things I think will enhance my 'R'.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cold Snow and Salt

Didn't know anybody in the forum lived that close. I'm in Schenectady and travel to Ti on business once a month. Did you get your SSR from the dealer there? Mine is an 04 Ultra Violet. Hope to see you on the road when the weather gets better.

K

·
0 Posts
Hey SSR Blur,

I just bought a house in Putnam Station, right next door. It's on the lake, and my SSR and I will be up there quite a bit next summer. We'll have to get together.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOGS said:
Didn't know anybody in the forum lived that close. I'm in Schenectady and travel to Ti on business once a month. Did you get your SSR from the dealer there? Mine is an 04 Ultra Violet. Hope to see you on the road when the weather gets better.
Hi Hogs...I wanted to buy from the local dealer, but he only had a black '06 6speed (still does). I wasn't sure I'd be able to order one and get it with the plant closing, so found one downstate NY that had what I wanted in it. Feel free to look me up when you're in the area. My email and phone number is on the pinmap.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kEN'SSSR2 said:
Hey SSR Blur,

I just bought a house in Putnam Station, right next door. It's on the lake, and my SSR and I will be up there quite a bit next summer. We'll have to get together.

Feel free to call/stop by. My email and phone number is on the pinmap. I had a house in Wyckoff for 17 years before I moved up here...look forward to seeing ya next summer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Speeking of plugs, are the one we have in our SSR's the best? Is there an aftermarket that would produce a better spark pattern? What about the coils too?

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
One other detail I haven't seen mentioned it not to change the plugs when the engine is hot since the aluminum expands more than the plugs. This is the most likely way to strip the threads. There are thread repair kits available if someone has the misfortune of stripping the threads though.
Do not over torque them!

32 year of installing spark plugs into aluminum heads, no stripped threads - yet (I hope I don't jinx myself with that one).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts