Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought ... has anyone put spats on their SSR? I don't think the full spat will work, unless the entire rear fender is widened, due to the wheel-width extending beyond the width of the fender at just above the axle-line. A 1/2-spat is completely doable. See attached mockups.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Carl, I really think your silver would look great with the full spat. Not so much on the yellow. :nono:yellow:

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Certainly not my taste on the SSR.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,395 Posts
I did like the Yellow SSR but not the Skirts. I am from the era when you opened up the wheel wells and radiased the rear wheel wells and installed big tires.

Reactions: HUAW and Flying Dog

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
No, that only works with tail draggers, never on a raked vehicle, and even that's iffy on fat fendered cars. it's not a good look for the SSR.

You proficient photoshoppers are a bunch of damn troublemakers, subversive rabble-rousers. :glol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
SStudebaker
Doesn't work for me

Do Americans call them spats?
Spats were white topped men's shoes in the 20's to me

These things shown on the SSR were fender skirts in Canadian vernacular

(Oh, I see Warrior sort of had my idea - except I missed the Duck!) HaHa!

Is that Donald 2 Shoes out of Washington?
He's a bit Daffy

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,395 Posts
Spats from the 1940's.60's on cars they were SKIRTS. Didn't like them then and don't like them now except on a slammed 50 Merc. That car has to have them.

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
882 Posts
They are a PITA! I had them on my 57 Tbird.

They look nice but if you have to take them off!!!!!

In addition to the factory fixing method, we had to screw them to the fenders to keep them from falling off!

·
Registered
305 Posts
This may be the younger generation in me, but I've always heard Spats as referring to spare tires, but maybe that's just a local thing. I don't know.

Regardless, the only cars I've ever seen these on are mid century Hudsons and new millennium Insights.

That said, in my own personal opinion,
I wouldn't mind the semi crescent ones
if they matched the outer curves of the fender. I think that would look nice.

·
BLU SSR
3,538 Posts
:surprise:

I just maybe learning a new term for fender skirts. "Spats"............never heard that before.:nerd:
I got to agree with Moscooter . Never heard this term used for skirts , maybe a regional term Carl?
On the up side you photo shopped that ugliness on a taxi so all the fast good looking colors weren't offended! >:) :blur: :ssr

1 - 20 of 34 Posts