Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to dyno the truck the other day and at 125 MPH it hit what had to be a speed limiter (did it in 4th or 5th regardless of RPM). This can't be normal, has anyone else had this or do I have a programming glitch?:banghead

BTW the run in 4th until 125 was making 30-40 more HP than the full pulls we did in 3rd gear (goes to around 105 in 3rd).

Programmer will soon take care of this anyway but I was curious if this is a fluke.

Mark

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nope

I just programmed mine. The original tune had a 120 mph speed limiter on it. I set it to 130 - the speed limit on my tires.:jester

·
Registered
234 Posts
mmm, let's see. The speed limit on my tires is 186 mph...Matt, you must have gotten your software? What are you going to do with the second vehicle that is on your software license?

·
Registered
192 Posts
PSI Racing said:
I went to dyno the truck the other day and at 125 MPH it hit what had to be a speed limiter (did it in 4th or 5th regardless of RPM). This can't be normal, has anyone else had this or do I have a programming glitch?:banghead

BTW the run in 4th until 125 was making 30-40 more HP than the full pulls we did in 3rd gear (goes to around 105 in 3rd).

Programmer will soon take care of this anyway but I was curious if this is a fluke.

Mark
Mark,

Mine did the same thing on the dyno, I think mine shut off around 130 in 4th. It is the factory speed limiter program holding it back.

Im curious what your HP and Torque numbers were in 4th and 3rd?

Doug

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wife's car

Got 8 credits with the software. Used 4 on my SSR and 4 on my wife's GM.

MJJ

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The speed limiter is indeed there because of the stock tires not been rated beyond that speed. It can be removed or adjusted upward via software, but if you are keeping the stock tire, should be restored to no more than 130 mph after the dyno or tuning runs. These tires WILL overheat at hgh speed, especially with the weight of the SSR.

The best dyno results are gotten in whatever gear minimizes the number of gears, or the relative ratio of the gears, that the power needs to be transmitted through. On the SSR qwith automatic, that means using 3rd gear (NOT overdrive - too weak). On the 6-speed, the correct gear is whichever INTERNAL gear within the Tremec tarnsmission is 1 to 1 ratio. (Might be 4th)

A numerically higher rear end ratio tends to lower dyno results, particularly on an inertia type dyno (runs done in acceleration mode and completed within seconds each), due to both higher mechanical losses and inertia effects that the dyno is not programmed to handle.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Fourth gear is the 1 to 1 gear ratio, but as stated it will hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter. Mine was dynoed in 3rd gear for the initial dyno and then 4th in every other dyno run after raising the speed limiter. For the best results you need to dyno in the gear that provides the 1 to 1 ratio, 3rd in automatic and 4th in 6 speed as stated above.

·
Registered
330 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Fourth gear is the 1 to 1 gear ratio, but as stated it will hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter. Mine was dynoed in 3rd gear for the initial dyno and then 4th in every other dyno run after raising the speed limiter. For the best results you need to dyno in the gear that provides the 1 to 1 ratio, 3rd in automatic and 4th in 6 speed as stated above.
Joe,

Do we have a recommendable dyno shop here in North San Diego County or were all of your runs done through Magnuson?

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
All of my dyno runs were done at Magnuson. I can look around for a local one if you want, there are few down in San Diego that have been around a long time. I have been trying to find a real close shop that will maybe do a dyno day for the local SSR's. I just havent found anything close?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dyno day in SOCAL

-2005SSR6Speed-

Hey thats sound like a great idea, a dyno day at a place central to many of the Fanatics here in Socal. There are lots of places that do custom tuning and have wheel dynos in the Orange Co. and Riverside areas. Those areas would be central for at least 20 or more fanatics. I could inquire locally to a number of places and see if we can get a Fanatic special price if we could get maybe 10 or more to go on the dyno on some Saturday or Sunday.

Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts